Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UtahBy5 2013 Fitness Challenge

UtahBy5 2013 Fitness Challenge

Here we go. Logistics are below, and the tracking begins Tuesday October 1st. Feel free to join at any time, and invite others to join. Post any questions or suggestions.

The tracking spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lE&usp=sharing Simply add your username in Column A, and start tracking by entering your mileage or mileage calculation in the column that corresponds to the date of the activity.

Use MyFitnessPal.com or app to convert activities into calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/lookup.

If you walk, hike, or run, enter your mileage. If you lift weights, play basketball, swim, etc., use MyFitnessPal to convert your activity to calories burned, and then convert calories burned into miles (miles=calories burned/130), then enter your equivalent mileage.

Please only track activities done specifically for exercise. Please don't track mileage or calories in normal daily activities (e.g. wearing a pedometer to work, gardening or mowing the lawn, etc.). If your purpose is to exercise, or you alter an activity specifically to turn it into exercise (such as walking while golfing instead of riding in a cart), then track it.

I have included rank on the spreadsheet, as it may be a helpful motivation. But competition is not the primary goal, improving your own fitness is the goal. We'll trust everyone to enter their best estimates. Feel free to discuss your starting points, goals, achievements, experiences, etc. in this thread.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-30-2013 at 07:19 AM.

I'll start. I'm currently at 195 pounds, and would like to get down to 185. I'd like to be in better shape for an upcoming trip to Hawaii, and also to build a base for a triathlon (olympic distance) my brother and I are shooting for next year. I'll be focusing on running to begin. I want to get up to running a 10k in about 50 minutes, and then add miles and speed. I am very prone to shin splints and joint problems, so I am building up slowly. I also plan to start swimming laps, and continue to do some strength training to maintain strength, but not add bulk. My weekly goal for now is about 20 miles, which will include some walking and basketball.

Also the folks at SLC Running Co helped with a bio-mechanical analysis of my stride and recommendation of shoes and inserts. I have run a couple of times in them, and feel great so far.

Awesome!

I'm a biscuit away from 245 and a long way off of my fightin' weight of 185 when @ the U. 185 simply isn't an attainable goal for me any longer since I don't want to lose the 15 lbs or so of muscle mass I've gained from lifting but I would like to hit 205-210.
    "But I tried didn't I? ... at least I did that."

I'm almost 2 years into swimming. I've lost 10% of my body weight since I started. At first, I could only water jog 8 laps in 25 yd pool. Now I can swim 1/3 of a mile in 30-35 mins freestyle and breaststroke. According to my fitness pal, I burned 738 calories this morning, which I believe is 5.67 miles. Is that correct?
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

I'm in. right now I am 6'3" 235 lbs. I should weigh 215 (and I did, 2 years ago). As we enter the holidays it is not the best time to try to lose weight, but I think I can at least hold the line and drop a bit. I am very active, just need to, ahem, eat more wisely.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm in, sounds like LA Ute and I could exchange clothes and goals, although I'm shooting for 195 ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm in, sounds like LA Ute and I could exchange clothes and goals, although I'm shooting for 195 ultimately.
    Once upon a time that was a good weight for me too, but as one, ah, ages, one, ah, adjusts one's sense of what is, ah, realistic.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Once upon a time that was a good weight for me too, but as one, ah, ages, one, ah, adjusts one's sense of what is, ah, realistic.
    And that's the Truth, Ruth!

"But I tried didn't I? ... at least I did that."

......as one, ah, ages, one, ah, adjusts one's sense of what is, ah, realistic.

Ain't that the truth. 10 pounds and I'll be good at college weight. Now I'm glad I couldn't sleep and ran into this thread. Gym first thing this morn, 2-3x a week and as you said, the key is stop ramming crap down the throat. A low carb lifestyle generally works well for me.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

First miles on the books. I have to admit, knowing I would be logging the miles helped me get out of bed and going today.

OK, I did my usual routine this morning. Still figuring this out. I walk aerobically at 4.5 miles/hour 5-6 times each week, and twice a week I do a Pilates workout, which is mainly about strength and flexibility and maintaining a decent core. But it does burn calories on those two days. So although today I spiked at 5.9 miles most days it will be 3.9. Are we going to enter our weight loss progress anywhere? I put mine in as a comment. I figure that way I'll keep some peer pressure on myself.

Like mUUser I use a type of low-carb diet, once known as the Zone diet. It's a 40-30-30 approach. 40% of calories from "good" carbs, 30% each from monounsaturated fats and lean protein. Despite the seemingly high percentage of fat, it is actually a low-fat diet. Anyway, it really works for me.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-01-2013 at 10:13 AM.

--Yeats

Forward, never straight Freaky Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'd like to be in better shape for an upcoming trip to Hawaii....
    As someone who just deleted most pictures of myself after I landed this morning from LIH-LAX-SLC, it's a good idea to get in shape before you go to Hawaii, instead of using pictures as the motivation to join in! It's been about 3 years since I lost 20 lbs going with Rick to Pritikin, a posh 'fat camp' in Florida. About 12-14 lbs have snuck back on.

I have a doc appt today to check out my twisted foot and knee from an amazing hike overlooking Kalalau Valley on Sunday. image.jpg(let's see if this photo straightens out when I post it, or stays sideways) If I get a clean bill of health, I'll join in today.
    If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone. -Maxwell Maltz

Quote Originally Posted by Freaky Girl View Post
    As someone who just deleted most pictures of myself after I landed this morning from LIH-LAX-SLC, it's a good idea to get in shape before you go to Hawaii, instead of using pictures as the motivation to join in! It's been about 3 years since I lost 20 lbs going with Rick to Pritikin, a posh 'fat camp' in Florida. About 12-14 lbs have snuck back on.

I have a doc appt today to check out my twisted foot and knee from an amazing hike overlooking Kalalau Valley on Sunday. (let's see if this photo straightens out when I post it, or stays sideways) If I get a clean bill of health, I'll join in today.
    Awesome photo. I've only been to Hawaii once but this makes me want to go back.

--Yeats

This contest motivated me to swim an extra 3 laps (150 yds) today. I swam a total of 15 1/2 laps (775 yds) during 38 mins; all but one was freestyle (I did one of them breaststroke so I could catch my breath). I'm taking tomorrow off to give my shoulder a rest.
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 10-02-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

OK, I'm in! I don't really have a goal other than to get in better shape, but I like tracking progress.

Also, I'm very impressed with those of you who can swim long distances. I'm a terrible swimmer.

Wuap is smoking us all.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    OK, I'm in! I don't really have a goal other than to get in better shape, but I like tracking progress.

Also, I'm very impressed with those of you who can swim long distances. I'm a terrible swimmer.
    I'm 21 months into swimming 3-5 times a week. When I started, I could only water jog without tiring immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I'm 21 months into swimming 3-5 times a week. When I started, I could only water jog without tiring immediately.
    I tried swimming a few years ago after an injury. It takes some time for the muscles and cardiovascular system to adjust to that type of exercise - not to mention simply figuring out the motion. I am impressed that you have stuck with it.

--Yeats

I tried swimming a few years ago after an injury. It takes some time for the muscles and cardiovascular system to adjust to that type of exercise - not to mention simply figuring out the motion. I am impressed that you have stuck with it.
    Apparently, a lot of the people at the gym who are distance runners dislike it because they like having as much air as they want. At least that's what a couple of them have told me. Then there's this one guy who comes in and swims a mile after running 18-20 miles "to cool down."

Forward, never straight Freaky Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Then there's this one guy who comes in and swims a mile after running 18-20 miles "to cool down."
    PLEASE tell me he showers first....
    If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone. -Maxwell Maltz

I can't tell you what I don't know. But, he seems like the type who would first.

Over 100 miles as a group. Eldo in the lead (he's my brother).

I have to admit, the cold weather is putting a damper on my motivation. In the summer, it's easy to get up early to go out, because it's the coolest part of the day. But knowing it's the coldest part of the day these days has the opposite effect.

Just added my mileage to the spreadsheet. hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Just added my mileage to the spreadsheet. hopefully I didn't screw anything up.
    Looks good. Bumped us over 200.

looks like Sisyphus has been too busy pushing his rock to enter miles I hope he's ok.

Not a U fan but enjoy these challenges especially when a tracking spreadsheet is used. If offensive to any, I will gladly remove my data.

Quote Originally Posted by eldiente View Post
    Not a U fan but enjoy these challenges especially when a tracking spreadsheet is used. If offensive to any, I will gladly remove my data.
    Not offensive at all. Take part and enjoy!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by eldiente View Post
    Welcome! 1st place right out of the gate. What is your main type of exercise? You have a couple of impressive big mileage days mixed in there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Welcome! 1st place right out of the gate. What is your main type of exercise? You have a couple of impressive big mileage days mixed in there.
    Running only. Getting ready for a mid-December marathon so high mileage for the next few weeks.

I caught a cold last week, so I was out for a few days. Getting back into it slowly as I start to get my energy back, and to take it easy on the lungs.

Weather on the Wasatch front should be nice this week. Get your outside exercise in before it turns.

Just updated my runs.