Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UtahBy5 2013 Fitness Challenge

I am working out regularly, and at a pretty high level. I'm not losing any weight, however. This tells me that my diet is matching my caloric expenditure. (Yes, I am a rocket scientist.) I am going to see if between now and Thanksgiving I can lose between five and 10 pounds. That will require some focus and discipline. You are all authorized to get on my case about how I am doing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am working out regularly, and at a pretty high level. I'm not losing any weight, however. This tells me that my diet is matching my caloric expenditure. (Yes, I am a rocket scientist.) I am going to see if between now and Thanksgiving I can lose between five and 10 pounds. That will require some focus and discipline. You are all authorized to get on my case about how I am doing.
    Get with it tubby!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Get with it tubby!
    Well, you do have to remember my tender and sensitive feelings as you get on my case.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Well, you do have to remember my tender and sensitive feelings as you get on my case.
    That's no fun tulip!

I've started running with the guy who recently lost over 200 pounds. He has forgotten that he was once 400+. He talks to me (I'm not in great shape) like he's Jack Lalane and I'm a couch potato.

You would think Sisyphus would log more miles, pushing the rock up the mountain every day (Credit please, for not making a cheap joke with his board name).

Converting activities to miles is kind of strange. Two hours of basketball is the way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    You would think Sisyphus would log more miles, pushing the rock up the mountain every day (Credit please, for not making a cheap joke with his board name).
    That's an excellent joke. I'm almost jealous I didn't think of it first.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Converting activities to miles is kind of strange. Two hours of basketball is the way to go!
    The great thing about basketball is that your mind is occupied and you are having fun while exercising. I can play ball for 2-3 hours no problem, but if I tried to exert at that level for 2-3 hours on the road or a treadmill, my mind would be focused on the pain and suffering. Even movies or music can't distract me enough while on a treadmill.

Finding an activity or exercise that you can find enjoyable, even if it takes a while, is the key to success.

The great thing about basketball is that your mind is occupied and you are having fun while exercising. I can play ball for 2-3 hours no problem, but if I tried to exert at that level for 2-3 hours on the road or a treadmill, my mind would be focused on the pain and suffering. Even movies or music can't distract me enough while on a treadmill.

Finding an activity or exercise that you can find enjoyable, even if it takes a while, is the key to success.
    So couple that with being forced to run 6-8 miles 3 times a week for 5 months as part of your job....and people wondered why I hated the police academy haha

Training for a mini Tri in December. Prepare to be amazed!!
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

UtahBy5 2013 Fitness Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Training for a mini Tri in December. Prepare to be amazed!!
    I'm already impressed.

--Yeats

End of October, and we have over 545 miles as a group (plus any late entries). That is the equivalent of:
    Salt Lake to past Baker, CA, home of the world's largest thermometer and dingiest motel pools
    Salt Lake to past Missoula MT, the city where 5 mountain ranges converge
    Salt Lake to nearly Pendleton OR, home of famous wool shirts and blankets
    Salt Lake to nearly Sidney, NE, home of Cabela's corporate HQ and original store
    Hartsville, SC to Dayton, OH, home of almost nothing interesting at all. Thanks, Dayton.

Eldiente is the leader, with Eldo a close second (and most consistent, with 23 days recorded), and LA Ute a distant third.

Hopefully everyone is getting closer to their goals. I know the month was a bit of a disappointment for me. Illness took me out a few days, but my other excuses seem weak (busy schedule, travel, need sleep more than exercise).

I am going to hide the October columns, and unhide the November columns. If you need to go back and enter October numbers, you can unhide the columns and then hide them again once finished. (Unhide by selecting columns D and AJ, right click, and select Unhide).

Now that one month is in the books, anyone willing to state a goal for November mileage? I would like to get up to 90 miles for the month, and I can't decide if spending two weeks of the month in Hawaii will help or hurt my chances.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-31-2013 at 08:22 PM.

First entry logged today... I got a lot of catching up to do but I'll get there. 2:15:00 Bike ride on a lovely Saturday afternoon in November.

My Goal for November is 2-3 Commute Rides a week and 30-35 miles on Saturdays (all cycling). Comes out to about 350 for the month.
    Last edited by Sisyphus; 11-03-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    "But I tried didn't I? ... at least I did that."

I started with my fitness pal a week ago. I currently weigh 205 and would like to get down to 195. I try to get to the gym twice a week and do Bikram Yoga at least once a week. In the summer months I do a lot more hiking. One thing I have noticed about my fitness pal is that I do not get any extra calories for lifting weights and I seem to get a lot for cardio. The think I like about my fitness pal is that I am rewarded with extra calories for exercise. That is a nice payoff.

I don't like traveling but I have to do it. One positive is that I get a chance to do a different workout. I'm in Washington for a few days and didn't bring the right clothes to exercise outside, so I'll do the elliptical tomorrow. Usually I go down to the Mall and run from Washington to Lincoln and back. This time I'll just watch CNN or maybe an old Law & Order episode.

--Yeats

I did see a smiley that made me think of sisyphus in reverse. It has an exercise angle too.

indyjone-smiley.gif
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-07-2013 at 05:36 PM.

--Yeats

So, this morning, I got to the pool a little early, and I pushed myself to a new record. 2/3 mile in 58 minutes. At the end my calves and biceps were cramping, but I did it!
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    So, this morning, I got to the pool a little early, and I pushed myself to a new record. 2/3 mile in 58 minutes. At the end my calves and biceps were cramping, but I did it!

--Yeats

I did see a smiley that made me think of sisyphus in reverse. It has an exercise angle too.

indyjone-smiley.gif
    Love it!
    "But I tried didn't I? ... at least I did that."

Getting the weeks data loaded. 2 rides, 1 run and 3 swims (Both ride and swim on Friday)
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Getting the weeks data loaded. 2 rides, 1 run and 3 swims (Both ride and swim on Friday)
    Dang, looks like you're serious about training for your Tri. Impressive numbers.

Eldiente, not as many long runs lately. Are you starting your your taper this soon? Hopefully it's that and not an injury or something else keeping keeping your mileage down.

Dang, looks like you're serious about training for your Tri. Impressive numbers.

Eldiente, not as many long runs lately. Are you starting your your taper this soon? Hopefully it's that and not an injury or something else keeping keeping your mileage down.

I hit the trifecta today. 5.1 mile run, 23 mile bike and 2400 meter swim.
    André Gide

I'll be over shortly to commit you to a mental hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'll be over shortly to commit you to a mental hospital
    Catch me if you can
    André Gide

Catch me if you can
    Radios and cars my friend. Radios and cars.

Late to the party, but in the books. Starting from scratch here.

When you swim, do you do it last or first?

When you swim, do you do it last or first?

I did the swim last. Each leg was at a different time of the day. Run early morning, ride around 3 and swim at 8 pm.
    André Gide

I did the swim last. Each leg was at a different time of the day. Run early morning, ride around 3 and swim at 8 pm.
    Is that 2300m all freestyle? In my local pool (25 yards) that'd be 100 lengths, which would take a strong and in-shape swimmer around an hour and 20 minutes. You must be burning some serious calories lately. Congrats.

Is that 2300m all freestyle? In my local pool (25 yards) that'd be 100 lengths, which would take a strong and in-shape swimmer around an hour and 20 minutes. You must be burning some serious calories lately. Congrats.

The pool is 25 meter. I did it all breast stroke(the only stroke I know real technique, my crawl looks more like I am drowning with style). I was knocking out 400 m roughly every 10 minutes, and felt like I could have gone another 800 meters without breaking pace. I found a good groove. This morning I did 1600 in 41 minutes, so I think I found a great cadence that is staying aerobic while maximizing speed. The race distance for the sprint-tri is 400 meters. I am hoping that I can shave my time on that to about 8 minutes on raceday (12/14)
    André Gide