Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1447

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    14-3 for oregon in the second quarter
    Oregon scores again. Things are looking good for Utah. [fingers crossed]

WSU puts up 55 on Arizona. . . In the first half!

Lets go Ducks! Finish strong!
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Oregon seems to have no desire to win this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon only has one run play in the playbook to kill time.

McIntyre out at CU. Jeff Tedford, who has done a nice rebuilding job at Fresno, would be an interesting hire.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    McIntyre out at CU. Jeff Tedford, who has done a nice rebuilding job at Fresno, would be an interesting hire.
    I will be shocked if Tedford isn’t hired by CU or USC. A proven winner in this league and a known commodity among California high school coaches.

Here is a USC player outright punching a UCLA player in last weekend‘s game. I hear that Helton’s not good at enforcing discipline. (What is he good at?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...yMj?li=BBnb4R7

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Here is a USC player outright punching a UCLA player in last weekend‘s game. I hear that Helton’s not good at enforcing discipline. (What is he good at?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...yMj?li=BBnb4R7
    Jaylon Johnson got away with one in our game as well.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Jaylon Johnson got away with one in our game as well.
    He did it in front of two referees, so they clearly didn’t think it was much of a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Or, they are incompetent. We have some body of evidence to support this alternative explanation.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Who to cheer for this week:

A lot of tough decisions. We wanted wazzu and Oregon State, but alas.

UCLA v Stanford: I think we want the bruins. Their season is in the crapper. But if they end their season on back to back wins against the Trojans and cardinal, they might have hope for next year. Still, always cheer against Stanford (Sancho's rule).
    Asu v Arizona: easy call; with a win, Arizona becomes bowl eligible; thus, we want Arizona State to win.
    Cal v Colorado: same. We want Cal to keep Colorado from bowling.
    USC v Notre Dame: logic would say we want Notre Dame to keep USC from bowling. However, this list is not logical. Here a Notre Dame loss should keep them out of the playoffs, and while a win would enable USC to go bowling, their recruiting is not tied to acheiving bowl eligibility. Plus, a win might save helton.
    Last edited by Applejack; 11-24-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    USC v Notre Dame: logic would say we want Notre Dame to keep USC from bowling. However, this list is not logical. Here a Notre Dame loss should keep them out of the playoffs, and while a win would enable USC to go bowling, their recruiting is not tied to acheiving bowl eligibility. Plus, a win might save helton.
    Apparently losing by 7 is enough for Helton to maintain his job
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Apparently losing by 7 is enough for Helton to maintain his job
    OCGreg on UF.N explained why he didn’t think they wouldn’t replace Helton this year:

Helton received a five-year extension 9 months ago, we have an interim President, large & multiple sexual assault settlements are coming, the E-Coli refurbishment is over budget, and why fire Helton only to hire Jack Del Rio - what difference would that make?

Sounds like SC is going to get their first choice for a new OC. Could be trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Sounds like SC is going to get their first choice for a new OC. Could be trouble.

so much for my theory that a lame duck head coach would have trouble attracting qualified assts.

Is USC really going to start throwing the ball 50 times per game? This seems like an odd fit.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    so much for my theory that a lame duck head coach would have trouble attracting qualified assts.
    $$$$

--Yeats

Matt Wells to Texas Tech is supposedly a done deal. It will be interesting to see where Utah State looks for his replacement. Seems like the obvious choice is Jay Hill or even promoting Yost. Does this move eventually trickle into the Utah program?

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Is USC really going to start throwing the ball 50 times per game? This seems like an odd fit.
    TTU was very balanced and ran the ball a lot. They were about 55% pass 45% run, in terms of play calling. They had 350+ pass and 130+ rush per game. They were very potent, but just couldn't play Defense.

It is a good thing we have depth at the DC position...
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 11-29-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Matt Wells to Texas Tech is supposedly a done deal. It will be interesting to see where Utah State looks for his replacement. Seems like the obvious choice is Jay Hill or even promoting Yost. Does this move eventually trickle into the Utah program?
    It didn't used to be so, but actually I view USU as an upgrade from BYU (as long as they remain independent). They might want to put a feeler out to Sitake.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Which also describes all the teams TTech has faced in the Kilngsbury tenure. Utah will be the best defense he's seen in...forever.
    I wish we had more Big 12 teams on the OOC schedule.

Caleb Wilson, tight end for UCLA and first team all pac 12, declares for the draft.

Let's keep them coming.

ASU giving the PAC12 it’s first bowl loss this year. I think we expected that as ASU is pretty pedestrian without Harry.

Herbert announces he is coming back to play for the Ducks next year. Here's to hoping it works out as well for him as it did Bryce Love.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Herbert announces he is coming back to play for the Ducks next year. Here's to hoping it works out as well for him as it did Bryce Love.

its good for us, because we do not play Oregon in the regular season (nor does UCLA).

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    its good for us, because we do not play Oregon in the regular season (nor does UCLA).
    Agreed. Here's to lots of ducks and trees sticking around this year.

I don't like Wazzu's chances at all tonight. Defenses have too much time to prepare, and Wazzu has scored 20, 17 and 12 points in its last three bowls -- all against P5 teams. Iowa State is probably better coached than Miami, Minnesota and Michigan State, and is used to seeing pass happy offenses in the Big 12. Cyclones in a rout.

Watching the Washington State-Iowa State game, I’m reminded of how much unintended damage the targeting rule is causing. When the ball carrier is actually falling and the defender has already launched, how is the defender supposed to change direction in mid-air? I agree with Bill Riley that if the rule continues in force, the penalty should be something less than ejection. Maybe the guilty player should sit out for a period of time, like penalties in hockey.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I don't like Wazzu's chances at all tonight. Defenses have too much time to prepare, and Wazzu has scored 20, 17 and 12 points in its last three bowls -- all against P5 teams. Iowa State is probably better coached than Miami, Minnesota and Michigan State, and is used to seeing pass happy offenses in the Big 12. Cyclones in a rout.
    This take didn’t age well. Good for Wazzu, and maybe for a day, the league can hold its gaze at something higher than floor level.

(EDIT: At least ISU covered!)