Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
Results 1,231 to 1,234 of 1234

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    it always seems to me that when we have hype, and I expect us to do well, we fall flat. When I have no expectations, we exceed them, sometimes dramatically. Now we have hype. This has me concerned, of course.
    There have been a couple of years previously that we were expected to do well and we ended up finishing with 3-6 conference records. Your fear is certainly warranted. The pressure that comes with expectations isn't something we handle very well. I do think if we can have some luck with avoiding injuries we will have a good year. Also, if we can avoid day games at home that would be nice. Aside from a couple of unimpressive wins against lowly CU, we are 0-7 in day games at home over the last 5 seasons. Many of these games were horrible blowouts.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    it always seems to me that when we have hype, and I expect us to do well, we fall flat. When I have no expectations, we exceed them, sometimes dramatically. Now we have hype. This has me concerned, of course.
    Spot on. I will have Utes Fan PTSD for the rest of my days.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    There have been a couple of years previously that we were expected to do well and we ended up finishing with 3-6 conference records. Your fear is certainly warranted. The pressure that comes with expectations isn't something we handle very well. I do think if we can have some luck with avoiding injuries we will have a good year. Also, if we can avoid day games at home that would be nice. Aside from a couple of unimpressive wins against lowly CU, we are 0-7 in day games at home over the last 5 seasons. Many of these games were horrible blowouts.
    I think part of the deal is that blowouts have been rare. Most of our conference games are close. There is a tightrope walking act that can leave us anywhere from 3-6 to 7-2. We can have teams of comparable quality finish in vastly different places in the conference.

I think we have a good team this season - a team that could win the south. A handful of little things goes wrong, though, and we aren't even bowl eligible. One key thing for a successful season is that we get good at burying inferior opponents. Leave nothing to chance in those games that we really should win. That's kind of counter to our style, but it has to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am glad to see a little respect coming to Utah. I hope we live up to the hype and then some.

PS- who is the UCLA/Chip Kelly homer that gave them the one PAC12 conference champion vote?
    Even more questionable: who gave CU one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk