Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1447

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm sure it will be, which is ridiculous. The USC/ND "rivalry" means nothing. It has does have history, though, which is more than the Stanford/ND "rivalry". It's so small minded to pass on something great to hold on to something so meh.
    You speak for a very small minority on this matter (USC-Notre Dame). It's not even worth debating.

Worth debating: The insistence of the California schools playing each other H-H every year, which is the primary roadblock for the league going to an 8-game schedule while giving the North schools the requisite exposure in SoCal. I think it was Jim Mora who said it best one year when he was the Bruins' HC -- if UCLA-Cal is such a special game and one that needs to be played every year, why are we playing it on a Friday night?

I want to go back in time and round up the most vocal 9-game conference schedule proponents and strangle them. It's that insular mindset, just as much as geography, just as much as our lousy TV deal, just as much as the limited scope of the Pac-12 Networks, that has put this league in the position it's in. We created this purity checklist, marked off all the boxes and what has it gotten us? Ever-decreasing notoriety, an ever-increasing chest-pounding over national titles in sports nobody cares about and a league that's closer to the MWC than it is the SEC. In other words, we haven't gotten a damn thing out of the deal -- or nothing close to what was promised and envisioned, anyway.

But yeah, we'll keep waiting for the SEC and everyone else to go to 9 league games. And waiting. And waiting some more. So what if the Big 10 plays 9? They can afford to, because their network mints money. Ours does not. We need to get out on the road and get more exposure. With the inherited drawbacks we face (primarily in geography and fewer FBS leagues out west), it's a lot to ask coaches to upgrade their non-con schedules even more than they already have, under a 9-game slate (At Utah, we just need to stop being a millstone around the league's neck in this regard).

I remember a home and away with Texas under Rick Barnes too. Am I making that up?
    You're not. We had two such series under Barnes, four games total.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You speak for a very small minority on this matter (USC-Notre Dame). It's not even worth debating.
    I don't care much about 8 vs 9 games, but I do care about conferences being on a level(ish) playing field. Since the NCAA and other P5 conferences can't push the SEC to 9, we should go to 8. This has been the greatest failure of the playoff committee. If, in year one, they had punished the SEC for playing only 8 games, the SEC would have been at 9 games in year 2.

As for USC, ND, "means nothing" was too strong. That game is expendable though, especially if it's replaced with something great. It's not like people are circling the USC/ND game on their calendar each year.

I don't care much about 8 vs 9 games, but I do care about conferences being on a level(ish) playing field. Since the NCAA and other P5 conferences can't push the SEC to 9, we should go to 8. This has been the greatest failure of the playoff committee. If, in year one, they had punished the SEC for playing only 8 games, the SEC would have been at 9 games in year 2.

As for USC, ND, "means nothing" was too strong. That game is expendable though, especially if it's replaced with something great. It's not like people are circling the USC/ND game on their calendar each year.
    This ain't the year to be saying the game is expendable or that it's easily replaceable. ... https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...c-ratings-abc/

We can get USC (and the other Cali schools) to listen to arguments for an 8-game schedule. But asking USC drop Notre Dame from the schedule so the rest of the league can achieve a cross-scheduling arrangement with the Big 12? That idea is DOA. All they have to do is tell the rest of the league that if they want to strengthen their schedules, to stop playing FCS teams -- something USC (and UCLA) already adhere to.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We can get USC (and the other Cali schools) to listen to arguments for an 8-game schedule. But asking USC drop Notre Dame from the schedule so the rest of the league can achieve a cross-scheduling arrangement with the Big 12? That idea is DOA. All they have to do is tell the rest of the league that if they want to strengthen their schedules, to stop playing FCS teams -- something USC (and UCLA) already adhere to.
    Okay, but if USC wants to call the shots for the conference, they better start acting like a flagship program. A flagship program does't retain Clay Helton after multiple disastrous seasons (a flagship never hires Helton to begin with). A flagship program has no problem buying out a dud coach. If USC wants to be big time, they better start acting big time. I don't think the rest of the conference has the inclination to defer indefinitely to a program that is content to sit in the middle. USC is still our top dog in football, and no one else is close, but that won't last forever if they don't get their act together.

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

This is just Wilner spitballing but it’s fun to contemplate.

Imagining a Pac-12/Big 12 alliance

How might a scheduling partnership between the Pac-12 and the Big 12 play out?

We know a proposed model, in which each team would play three non-conference games against opponents from the other league, isn’t practical. But the Hotline has considered more realistic options, because an alliance makes sense for both conferences: Quality content would help engage fans, sell tickets and please TV partners.

The basics of my plan:

• The math is a bit tricky, because one conference has 12 teams and the other has 10. Roughly speaking, each Pac-12 team could play a Big 12 team twice in a three-year span -- not the same team, mind you -- while each Big 12 team would play a Pac-12 team four times in five years.

• The matchups would change every year, but teams would be guaranteed a home game in seasons their conference rivalry game is on the road.

When Bedlam is in Norman, for example, Oklahoma State would play its Pac-12 opponent at home.

When the Civil War is in Eugene, Oregon would play its Big 12 opponent on the road.

• For optimum flexibility with matchups — and to allow teams to fill out in the rest of their non-conference dates years in advance — an partnership would require dates to be blocked out ahead:
    Four teams in each conference would be told to block out Week Two in the 2024 season, for example, and four would block out Week Three in 2024.

• Each spring, after rosters and expectations are established, the matchups would be set from the groups of four teams that have the same week blocked off.

Exceptions would be made:

Stanford and USC would be guaranteed a home game against their Big 12 opponent in the years they play Notre Dame on the road.
    Teams involved in neutral-site matchups on Labor Day weekend — those are booked years in advance — would be guaranteed home games against their Big 12/Pac-12 opponent in Week Three, so as to allow for a cupcake in Week Two.

• The partnership would feature quadruple-headers each season in Week Two and Week Three, with the Big 12 hosting the first and third games and the Pac-12 hosting the second and fourth.

Sample schedule (all times Pacific)

Week Two

9 a.m.: Arizona State at West Virginia
    12:30 p.m.: Kansas State at Utah
    4 p.m.: UCLA at Texas Tech
    7:30 p.m.: Oklahoma at Oregon

Week Three

9 a.m.: Washington State at Oklahoma State
    12:30 p.m.: Iowa State at Washington
    4 p.m.: Stanford at Texas
    7:30 p.m.: TCU at USC

The key is buy-in from the coaches; they would have to give up control, which runs counter to their every fiber.

For both conferences, a partnership would create more challenges for individual programs — depending on the year and the matchup, of course — but benefit the collective. — Jon Wilner.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-01-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Clarity

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Vegas Bowl change announced. The game will be Pac-12 vs Big10/SEC. There will be a new Los Angeles Bowl for Pac-12/MWC.

U$C fires administrator and coach arrested in college admissions fraud scheme

A USC official speaking on condition of anonymity confirmed that senior associate athletic director Donna Heinel and men’s and women’s water polo coach Jovan Vavic were fired after allegedly receiving bribes totaling more than $1.3 million and $250,000, respectively, to help parents take advantage of the relaxed admissions standards for athletes at USC even though their children were not legitimately being recruited as athletes.
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/l...312-story.html

Things just keep getting better for the Trojans.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    U$C fires administrator and coach arrested in college admissions fraud scheme

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-college-admission-scam-coaches-usc-20190312-story.h

Things just keep getting better for the Trojans.
    As Jon Wilner tweeted, USC the only school named in both the bb scandal and this one. Don't even mention their med school scandal or their president scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    As Jon Wilner tweeted, USC the only school named in both the bb scandal and this one. Don't even mention their med school scandal or their president scandal.
    This has been a pretty big deal in L.A. too:

Patients flood USC with reports about doctor accused of misconduct; LAPD set to review cases

https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...518-story.html

It's a sickening case. The physician is losing his license and I think he will go to prison. USC settled the resulting class action for $215 million. There's legislation pending in Sacramento (I got to testify before the State Senate committee about the matter).

--Yeats

And USC is more deeply implicated than any other college. Its associate athletic director of long standing took $1.3 million in bribes??? How is that possible? How can Lynn Swann survive that?
    Last edited by concerned; 03-13-2019 at 01:41 AM.

USC, UCLA Make List Of Fastest-Growing ‘Sugar Baby’ Schools In America

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...elp-pay-bills/

--Yeats

--Yeats

I have a hard time blaming Swann for all this. It happened at a bunch of different schools under a bunch of different ADs. Why is nobody calling for the Stanford AD's job? Yale? I do, however, think Swann should be fired for holding onto Helton this year.

Did anyone else see that Cal released a statement about the admissions scandals? "Even though we weren't implicated in any way, we want to release a statement to let everyone know that we consider ourselves to be just as prestigious as Stanford and Yale."

I have a hard time blaming Swann for all this. It happened at a bunch of different schools under a bunch of different ADs. Why is nobody calling for the Stanford AD's job? Yale? I do, however, think Swann should be fired for holding onto Helton this year.

Did anyone else see that Cal released a statement about the admissions scandals? "Even though we weren't implicated in any way, we want to release a statement to let everyone know that we consider ourselves to be just as prestigious as Stanford and Yale."
    The USC stuff is worse than those other schools. At Georgetown, the crew coach was in on it. At Yale, the swim coach. At usc an ass. Athletic director was in on it as well as the water polo coach and other coaches. They all look bad, but usc looks rotten to throw core.

If you read the complaint, there are some great quotes. My favorite from Lori loughlin: "can you help get my daughter into a good school so that she doesn't end up at Arizona State."

I read that the Loughlin daughter was actually in the Caribbean for spring break partying on a yacht with a member of USC’s board of trustees. Optics on this all look bad.

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I read that the Loughlin daughter was actually in the Caribbean for spring break partying on a yacht with a member of USC’s board of trustees. Optics on this all look bad.
    The chairman of the board of trustees. A very prominent LA businessman and power broker. The most powerful man at USC.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-16-2019 at 09:01 PM.

--Yeats

The chairman of the board of trustees. A very prominent LA businessman and power broker.
    Yikes!
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

The chairman of the board of trustees. A very prominent LA businessman and power broker. The most powerful man at USC.
    It was his yacht but I don't think he was there. The Laughlin girl was long time friends with his daughter. A bunch of girls were on daddy's yacht for spring break. She left after news broke.

It was his yacht but I don't think he was there. The Laughlin girl was long time friends with his daughter. A bunch of girls were on daddy's yacht for spring break. She left after news broke.
    Laughlin’s daughter is on video during her senior year talking about how hard college will be with her travel schedule. She went on to say she doesn’t care about academics but is going to college to go to football games and parties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Food reminder. Whether he was there or not, no one is suggesting any impropriety by his presence. I think his daughter was there with the Laughlin girl. It was he himself who had to issue the statement about her decision to return home after the news broke.

I feel kind of a connection to these young students. I knew some kids in college who knew people who had water skiing boats. Never got a chance to ride on them. And we all knew where the Caribbean is!

--Yeats

I feel kind of a connection to these young students. I knew some kids in college who knew people who had water skiing boats. Never got a chance to ride on them. And we all knew where the Caribbean is!
    It's the Island off Long Beach, right?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It's the Island off Long Beach, right?
    I thought it was connected to Antelope Island.

--Yeats

What’s Life Like as a Student at U.S.C.? Depends on the Size of the Bank Account

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/u...s=mcnewsletter

LOS ANGELES — Spring breaks in Bali, resort-style apartment buildings with rooftop pools and tanning beds and regular dinners out at Nobu, where a tab for four roommates could easily stretch into four digits. This is life as a student at the University of Southern California.

This is also life as a U.S.C. student: working an overnight shift to earn money for books, going hungry when the campus meal plan runs out and seething as friends presume that a $20 glass of wine is affordable.

The divide between rich and poor students could hardly be more vivid than it is at U.S.C., where the children of celebrities and real estate moguls study alongside the children of nannies and dishwashers....

--Yeats

From Jon Wilner's Hotline e-mail this week:

• A damning report late last week from the L.A. Times' Nathan Fenno indicates UCLA athletic officials knew years ago about the pay-for-admissions scam, in which rosters sports were given to unqualified players in exchange for huge donations to athletics. In fact, the university conducted its own investigation and concluded the findings remove "any reasonable doubt that the contribution from the parents was obtained quid pro quo for the daughter’s admission."

• In response to the news, UCLA offered a statement to Inside Higher Ed in which it "largely confirmed the report" and offered details of its actions.

• Given what we know, should Guerrero and a lieutenant involved in the unseemly plot, Josh Rebholz, be allowed to remain in their current roles? (And just wondering: What else might surface in coming weeks?)

--Yeats

From Jon Wilner's Hotline e-mail this week:

• A damning report late last week from the L.A. Times' Nathan Fenno indicates UCLA athletic officials knew years ago about the pay-for-admissions scam, in which rosters sports were given to unqualified players in exchange for huge donations to athletics. In fact, the university conducted its own investigation and concluded the findings remove "any reasonable doubt that the contribution from the parents was obtained quid pro quo for the daughter’s admission."

• In response to the news, UCLA offered a statement to Inside Higher Ed in which it "largely confirmed the report" and offered details of its actions.

• Given what we know, should Guerrero and a lieutenant involved in the unseemly plot, Josh Rebholz, be allowed to remain in their current roles? (And just wondering: What else might surface in coming weeks?)
    I don't typically care what other schools do administratively unless it somehow impacts the U. I'm guessing giving the cluster that has been around UCLA during the PAC 12 era that we don't want these guys to leave. I hope Holmoe has a lifetime contract at BYU.

This is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want this to be mostly true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I don't typically care what other schools do administratively unless it somehow impacts the U. I'm guessing giving the cluster that has been around UCLA during the PAC 12 era that we don't want these guys to leave. I hope Holmoe has a lifetime contract at BYU.
    Harlan was at UCLA - was it during this timeframe? What did he know and when did he know it?