Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1447

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Cracks are forming in the Pac-12: Will they be patched before it's too late?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-its-too-late/
    They write this article every year about one of the P5 conferences. Three years ago, they wrote it about the ACC. The past two years, they wrote it about the Big12. Guess it's our turn.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Cracks are forming in the Pac-12: Will they be patched before it's too late?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-its-too-late/
    This might be helpful to you:

Treating hyperventilation

It’s important to try to stay calm in acute cases of hyperventilation. It may be helpful to have someone with you to coach you through the episode. The goal of treatment during an episode is to increase carbon dioxide levels in your body and work to slow your breathing rate.

Home care

You can try some immediate techniques to help treat acute hyperventilation:

• Breathe through pursed lips.
    • Breathe slowly into a paper bag or cupped hands.
    • Attempt to breathe into your belly (diaphragm) rather than your chest.
    • Hold your breath for 10 to 15 seconds at a time.

You can also try alternate nostril breathing. This involves covering your mouth and alternating breathing through each nostril. For instance, with mouth covered, close the right nostril and breathe in through the left. Then alternate by closing the left nostril and breathing in through the right. Repeat this pattern until breathing has returned to normal.
    Some people may find that vigorous exercise, such as a brisk walk or jog, while breathing in and out of your nose, helps with hyperventilation.

Stress reduction

If you have hyperventilation syndrome, you will want to figure out what is causing it. If you suffer from anxiety or stress, you may want to see a psychologist to help you understand and treat your condition. Learning stress reduction and breathing techniques will help to control your condition.

Acupuncture

Acupuncture may also be an effective treatment for hyperventilation syndrome. Acupuncture is an alternative treatment based on ancient Chinese medicine. It involves placing thin needles into areas of the body to promote healing. One preliminary study found that acupuncture helped reduce anxiety and the severity of hyperventilation.

Medication

Depending on the severity, your doctor may also prescribe medication. Examples of medications for hyperventilation include:

https://www.healthline.com/symptom/hyperventilation

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Jon Wilner on why the Arizona Schools won't jump ship.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/...in-the-big-12/

PAC-12 has made a rule that you have to win 6 games to accept a bowl invitation.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/...medium=twitter

No more MWC in Vegas Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

No more MWC in Vegas Bowl.
    Depending on when the game is played, it could be a premier bowl game (closer to New Year’s Day) or still stink (before Christmas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Depending on when the game is played, it could be a premier bowl game (closer to New Year’s Day) or still stink (before Christmas)
    It's all about the money and the matchup. And putting this game in the Raiders' stadium will increase the former, and attract better candidates for the latter. As long as you have both, it doesn't matter when the game is played.

This is disturbing and heart-breaking. This 21 year-old WSU QB had the brain of a 65 year-old. CTE again.

A College QB's Suicide. A Family's Search for Answers.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...n-state-qb-cte

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

If anybody listens to Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History, his new season has a podcast titled "Burden of Proof" about suicide among college football players and CTE. It is really disturbing. He mentions Hilsinki in passing, but the focus in on other suicides.

Seems to me that unless technology finds a solution, football as we know it is eventually going away.

--Yeats

Seems to me that unless technology finds a solution, football as we know it is eventually going away.
    I think so too. Gladwel's premise is that the correlation between playing football and CTE is about the same as the correlation between mining and black lung disease in 1918, or cigarettes and cancer in the 1960's. His question is "what is the burden of proof before correlation becomes causation?"

Really sad. Football is such a great sport.

If it does go away, I can envision one of three replacements on campus:

1) Nothing replaces it. University athletics in general fade away.
    2) Soccer becomes big.
    3) E-sports become big.

The U should have a men's soccer team. It's a great sport, and it may be big someday. We just added lacrosse, which has no potential to become big as a spectator sport.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    If anybody listens to Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History, his new season has a podcast titled "Burden of Proof" about suicide among college football players and CTE. It is really disturbing. He mentions Hilsinki in passing, but the focus in on other suicides.
    Fantastic podcast in general. I loved his McDonalds French fry episode.

USA Today recently published the revenues and expenses of public University athletic departments. The Utes trailed everyone in the PAC except OSU and WSU and the differences there are the result of Utah getting about $12 mil in student fees and other school aid while OSU gets about 8 and WSU 5. The revenue category where the Utes lag the most is Contributions. Utah gets $9 mil. Cal and Arizona, who both have about $7mil more in revenues received $20 mil and $18 mil respectively. How can the Utes compete when the funding level is $30 - $40 mil per year less than the guys at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    USA Today recently published the revenues and expenses of public University athletic departments. The Utes trailed everyone in the PAC except OSU and WSU and the differences there are the result of Utah getting about $12 mil in student fees and other school aid while OSU gets about 8 and WSU 5. The revenue category where the Utes lag the most is Contributions. Utah gets $9 mil. Cal and Arizona, who both have about $7mil more in revenues received $20 mil and $18 mil respectively. How can the Utes compete when the funding level is $30 - $40 mil per year less than the guys at the top?
    Not sure if any of you saw this article, but it lays out the situation for WSU and their deficit spending and how it is affecting the University as a whole.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ols/736222002/

PULLMAN, Wash. – A few weeks before the football season last August, a Washington State University vice president sent an urgent message to the athletic director. The topic was deficit spending in the athletic department, which had ballooned to a cumulative debt to the university of $67 million. “Understand the magnitude of the problem,” WSU vice president Stacy Pearson wrote in an e-mail to Bill Moos, WSU’s athletic director last year. “Athletics has by far the largest cumulative deficit than all other campus areas combined. … The entire University has to work to reduce this deficit, and it can't be done if Athletics continues to spend millions into deficit each year. I obviously have come to understand your challenges, but you simply must make progress to reduce these deficits.”

Fascinating Dan Sorensen article about how Utah joined the PAC-12:

The Right Fit: An Oral History of How Utah Joined the Pac-12

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...-12-119713965/

This will be important for historians who are looking back at these events.

--Yeats

Fascinating Dan Sorensen article about how Utah joined the PAC-12:

The Right Fit: An Oral History of How Utah Joined the Pac-12

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...-12-119713965/

This will be important for historians who are looking back at these events.
    Nothing new, but it's a nice summary. Utah was just the perfect fit in all three categories - athletically, academically, and geographically.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Nothing new, but it's a nice summary. Utah was just the perfect fit in all three categories - athletically, academically, and geographically.
    AND Chris Hill deserves a lot of credit...per Michael Young!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I liked that the only requirements/stipulations the PAC12 had for Utah to come in was the staggered share the first few years and playing on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    AND Chris Hill deserves a lot of credit...per Michael Young!
    Summon Seattle Ute!

--Yeats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I am glad to see a little respect coming to Utah. I hope we live up to the hype and then some.

PS- who is the UCLA/Chip Kelly homer that gave them the one PAC12 conference champion vote?
    Last edited by Sullyute; 07-25-2018 at 11:32 AM.

I am glad to see a little respect coming to Utah. I hope we live up to the hype and then some.

PS- who is the UCLA/Chip Kelly homer that gave them the one PAC12 conference champion vote?

it always seems to me that when we have hype, and I expect us to do well, we fall flat. When I have no expectations, we exceed them, sometimes dramatically. Now we have hype. This has me concerned, of course.

it always seems to me that when we have hype, and I expect us to do well, we fall flat. When I have no expectations, we exceed them, sometimes dramatically. Now we have hype. This has me concerned, of course.
    There have been a couple of years previously that we were expected to do well and we ended up finishing with 3-6 conference records. Your fear is certainly warranted. The pressure that comes with expectations isn't something we handle very well. I do think if we can have some luck with avoiding injuries we will have a good year. Also, if we can avoid day games at home that would be nice. Aside from a couple of unimpressive wins against lowly CU, we are 0-7 in day games at home over the last 5 seasons. Many of these games were horrible blowouts.

Spot on. I will have Utes Fan PTSD for the rest of my days.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    There have been a couple of years previously that we were expected to do well and we ended up finishing with 3-6 conference records. Your fear is certainly warranted. The pressure that comes with expectations isn't something we handle very well. I do think if we can have some luck with avoiding injuries we will have a good year. Also, if we can avoid day games at home that would be nice. Aside from a couple of unimpressive wins against lowly CU, we are 0-7 in day games at home over the last 5 seasons. Many of these games were horrible blowouts.
    I think part of the deal is that blowouts have been rare. Most of our conference games are close. There is a tightrope walking act that can leave us anywhere from 3-6 to 7-2. We can have teams of comparable quality finish in vastly different places in the conference.

I think we have a good team this season - a team that could win the south. A handful of little things goes wrong, though, and we aren't even bowl eligible. One key thing for a successful season is that we get good at burying inferior opponents. Leave nothing to chance in those games that we really should win. That's kind of counter to our style, but it has to happen.

Even more questionable: who gave CU one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what Jack Sears is thinking now.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I wonder what Jack Sears is thinking now.
    "Where can i transfer to, and when do I have to leave by to keep my eligibility"