Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1447

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

WAshington recently picked Eason as their starter. The backup has now decided to transfer effective immediately. Bad news for them if Eason gets injured.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    WAshington recently picked Eason as their starter. The backup has now decided to transfer effective immediately. Bad news for them if Eason gets injured.
    We still have fans and media who believe in relaxing transfer rules even further. We are bound and determined to make college football an official minor league.

On the bright side, though, Hawaii is up 21-7 over Arizona as the Tate curse continues. He whined about Ken Niumatalolo, the best possible coach for his skill set.

LOL@arizona. Sumlin's seat just got red hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    LOL@arizona. Sumlin's seat just got red hot.
    Does anyone in the world think that Coach Niumatalolo would have had a hot seat in Tuscon this early?

JT Daniels out for year with ACL/meniscus tear.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Sucks for the young man. Really makes me appreciate the games we won last year with Shelley. USC fans are ready to give up on their season already. Actually, I just pulled up their roster expecting to see another 2-3 4* qbs in the wing, but they actually seem to be in pretty bad shape. And by pretty bad shape, I mean some 3* qbs like the rest of us. Jack Sears May be regretting his entrance to the transfer portal last week.

Does Clay Helton survive until the Utah game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Sucks for the young man. Really makes me appreciate the games we won last year with Shelley. USC fans are ready to give up on their season already. Actually, I just pulled up their roster expecting to see another 2-3 4* qbs in the wing, but they actually seem to be in pretty bad shape. And by pretty bad shape, I mean some 3* qbs like the rest of us. Jack Sears May be regretting his entrance to the transfer portal last week.

Does Clay Helton survive until the Utah game?

Hopefully. So we can close out the helton era (God bless the helton era).

Pac 12 looking soft, ready for the picking: UCLA losses at Cincy, Arizona poops at Hawaii, Oregon State man handled at home. Add to that shaky performances by Stanford, USC, and Cal and I say we go and get ours. Uw and Oregon looked legit (I turned that game off in the third certain that Oregon had it in the bag) and there were a lot of n/a's: asu, wsu, Colorado. I think we've got a good shot.

FWIW, I heard a report from a USC insider that the Trojan administration loves Helton because he runs a clean program, and scandal-ridden USC really needs that right now. Who knows if this is true, but I hope it is. Go Clay! Keep that program clean and mediocre!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Multiple coaching errors in Oregon/Auburn made me glad we have Kyle. Oregon should have punted on 4th and 1 after the timeout mistake. Auburn should have gone for 2 even after the false start. And Oregon, of course, should have run the play clock down on each play during their clock killing drive.

Kyle has made some bad decisions (UW two years ago), but he generally knows when to punt. And he definitely knows how to run clock.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    FWIW, I heard a report from a USC insider that the Trojan administration loves Helton because he runs a clean program, and scandal-ridden USC really needs that right now. Who knows if this is true, but I hope it is. Go Clay! Keep that program clean and mediocre!

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Somewhere, Jack Sears sobs.

With news like this it’s easy to see why U$C might want to keep Helton despite their mediocrity under him, because he runs a clean program.

‘Father is Surgeon,’ ‘1 mil pledge’: The Role of Money in USC Admissions

BOSTON—Emails among athletics, admissions and fundraising officials at the University of Southern California show the school explicitly weighed how much money applicants’ families could donate when determining whether to admit students.
    The messages were filed Tuesday in a Boston federal court by a lawyer for two parents accused in the nationwide college-admissions cheating scandal. He claims USC wasn’t a victim of any scheme, but rather based admission decisions in part on expectations of donations from well-heeled families.
    There is a long-held assumption that money influences college admissions, but the 18 previously undisclosed documents, obtained during the discovery process in the case, appear to make the direct connection in stark terms.
    They include intricate spreadsheets color-coded by university officials to track “special-interest applicants”—applicants flagged for their connections to USC officials, trustees, donors or other VIPs—with direct references to past and prospective dollar amounts of gifts from their families.
    Also included are email exchanges about specific candidates whose qualifications were portrayed as questionable by admissions and other officials but whose family ties and bank funds won out.
    “VIP” students were described in spreadsheets with references like “given 2 million already,” “1 mil pledge,” “Previously donated $25k to Heritage Hall” and “father is surgeon,” the filings show....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/father-...d=hp_lead_pos4

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

With news like this it’s easy to see why U$C might want to keep Helton despite their mediocrity under him, because he runs a clean program
    USC is gross. Tuition alone is north of $57K.
    The school unapologetically lists yearly costs at over $77,000. That's $300K for 4 years (hopefully, you can finish in 4 years)

https://admission.usc.edu/learn/cost-financial-aid/

The situation with its Master's in Social Work program will be a case-study in dumpster-fire mismanagement for business and higher-ed students for years to come.
    https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...606-story.html

With news like this it’s easy to see why U$C might want to keep Helton despite their mediocrity under him, because he runs a clean program.

‘Father is Surgeon,’ ‘1 mil pledge’: The Role of Money in USC Admissions

[/FONT][/COLOR]https://www.wsj.com/articles/father-...d=hp_lead_pos4[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    I used to work with a trust funder USC grad who was not very bright. Since this whole scandal broke I've wondered if he was one of these students, sounds like it was a lot more prevalent than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    USC is gross. Tuition alone is north of $57K.
    The school unapologetically lists yearly costs at over $77,000. That's $300K for 4 years (hopefully, you can finish in 4 years)
    Yes, but this is a higher ed problem, not just a USC problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree. Ridiculous what college costs these days.

To a point, yes. USC is one of the worst offenders, though, and so that's why I picked on them.
    The most expensive school in the country is Harvey Mudd, and it's within about $1000 of USC's per annum cost.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/11/it-c...in-the-us.html

Now, the rebuttal is that "most students don't actually pay that" to which I have a two-fold reply:

1. Student Loans aren't exactly "financial aid" in the same sense as a pell grant or scholarship.
    2. If "nobody" really pays that price, why is that the listed price? I suspect that some poor soul (sap?) actually ends up paying the full-price.
    Whether or not the person can afford it isn't really the same issue as why the price is so high.

There are still plenty of affordable college opportunities out there, especially at the regional / in-state level (the school where I work is about $7K a year in tuition, and the math professors are amazing).

I know this is a sports thread, but USC in general kinda makes me sick.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I have a friend who is a huge USC fan. He's convinced USC is going to dump Helton to hire Urban.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    I have a friend who is a huge USC fan. He's convinced USC is going to dump Helton to hire Urban.
    If the USC Board of Trustees does that they are fools and deserve all the problems Urban will bring them.

--Yeats

If the USC Board of Trustees does that they are fools and deserve all the problems Urban will bring them.
    Sure, all those problems like winning national titles.

Sure, all those problems like winning national titles.
    Yeah, but I'm thinking of other problems like NCAA sanctions (they still haven't recovered fully from the last time) and serious hits to their already-tattered reputation. The Trustees may not care about that but they're fools if they don't.

--Yeats

Yeah, but I'm thinking of other problems like NCAA sanctions (they still haven't recovered fully from the last time) and serious hits to their already-tattered reputation. The Trustees may not care about that but they're fools if they don't.
    Sanctions? What are you talking about? Did Utah or Florida or Ohio State suffer any sanctions because of Urban Meyer?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Sanctions? What are you talking about? Did Utah or Florida or Ohio State suffer any sanctions because of Urban Meyer?
    You haven't been reading the L.A. papers. If you had you would see that USC is in a precarious position and has taken PR hit after PR hit. Their trustees are smart enough to know how careful they need to be. The school has "target" written all over it.

--Yeats

LA, I know all about UCS’s checkered reputation. Just today there were stories implicating the institution in the academic bribery scandals. But I was talking about Urban Meyer. The only whiff of scandal he’s had is that an assistant coach’s wife allegedly told Urban’s wife that the assistant was abusing her—and Ohio State cleared him. Unless you count Florida fans’ conspiracy theory that he faked health problems so he could get out of his contract with Florida.

LA, I know all about UCS’s checkered reputation. Just today there were stories implicating the institution in the academic bribery scandals. But I was talking about Urban Meyer. The only whiff of scandal he’s had is that an assistant coach’s wife allegedly told Urban’s wife that the assistant was abusing her—and Ohio State cleared him. Unless you count Florida fans’ conspiracy theory that he faked health problems so he could get out of his contract with Florida.
    Ohio State cleared him? They suspended him for three games.

He also had at least 31 players arrested while he was in Florida for some pretty serious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Ohio State cleared him? They suspended him for three games.

He also had at least 31 players arrested while he was in Florida for some pretty serious stuff.

He is currently the assistant Athletic Director at Ohio State.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the arrests: “Meyer has been criticized by some commentators because 31 of his players were arrested during his six years as the Gators' coach.The seriousness of the charges varied widely, from minor offenses such as possession of alcohol by a minor to the charges of possession of a concealed weapon, "aggravated stalking, domestic violence by strangulation, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny and fraudulent use of credit cards." Many of the charges were ultimately dismissed.”

what about those sanctions, LA?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

He is currently the assistant Athletic Director at Ohio State.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the arrests: “Meyer has been criticized by some commentators because 31 of his players were arrested during his six years as the Gators' coach.The seriousness of the charges varied widely, from minor offenses such as possession of alcohol by a minor to the charges of possession of a concealed weapon, "aggravated stalking, domestic violence by strangulation, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny and fraudulent use of credit cards." Many of the charges were ultimately dismissed.”

what about those sanctions, LA?
    So we agree he wasn't cleared at Ohio State and while he was coach at Florida there were significant off the field problems with players. Thank you.

I don't believe LA accused Meyer of sanctions if you read what he wrote, he is talking about USCs sanctions (and potential for more) which is why they would want to potentially steer clear of Meyer - who we all admit did not run squeaky clean programs as HC.

Last edited by Rocker Ute; 09-05-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    So we agree he wasn't cleared at Ohio State and while he was coach at Florida there were significant off the field problems with players. Thank you.

I don't believe LA accused Meyer of sanctions if you read what he wrote, he is talking about USCs sanctions (and potential for more) which is why they would want to potentially steer clear of Meyer - who we all admit did not run squeaky clean programs as HC.

So why are Utah fans of all people going out of their way to look for reasons to trash Urban Meyer with extremely debatable allegations? Most the world considers his record exemplary. Of course he makes enemies. He's super successful. But are WE really his enemies? I think that's a super ignorant perspective.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

So why are Utah fans of all people going out of their way to look for reasons to trash Urban Meyer with extremely debatable allegations? Most the world considers his record exemplary. Of course he makes enemies. He's super successful. But are WE really his enemies? I think that's a super ignorant perspective.
    Who is trashing Urban Meyer? Your interpretation of things is interesting to me. Meyer is a HOF coach and critical to getting Utah where it is today. I'm grateful. I like Meyer and I like he has shown interest in helping our program.

USC has some serious problems hanging over it while also recently coming out of sanctions. Urban has some less than ideal issues in his coaching history. That would likely not make them a great match right now.

I think that is all anyone is saying. That's all I'm saying.