Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1447

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    LA, I know all about UCS’s checkered reputation. Just today there were stories implicating the institution in the academic bribery scandals. But I was talking about Urban Meyer. The only whiff of scandal he’s had is that an assistant coach’s wife allegedly told Urban’s wife that the assistant was abusing her—and Ohio State cleared him. Unless you count Florida fans’ conspiracy theory that he faked health problems so he could get out of his contract with Florida.
    Controversy has followed him everywhere he has gone after Utah, as Rocker notes. USC is a controversy magnet anyway, for many reasons, including their booster base. They don't need any more controversy. That's reportedly why they like Helton -- he runs a clean program. I think their Board members should be wary of hiring Urban. This isn't about him personally or an attack on his honor. You need not defend him. I'm just looking at the history surrounding him. I know you disagree.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

If I was a USC guy I’d be doing backflips over the prospect of Urban. Not only would he bring the Trojans back into the national picture, but school donations would triple the moment he’s announced. He doesn’t have enough baggage to discard.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    If I was a USC guy I’d be doing backflips over the prospect of Urban. Not only would he bring the Trojans back into the national picture, but school donations would triple the moment he’s announced. He doesn’t have enough baggage to discard.
    Unfortunately, LA’s hatred for USC cancels his gratitude to Urban Meyer for starting a football tradition at Utah.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Unfortunately, LA’s hatred for USC cancels his gratitude to Urban Meyer for starting a football tradition at Utah.
    But I still love you. That's got to mean something.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Colorado not showing well against their biggest non-conference rival, both in score and home game attendance.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Colorado not showing well against their biggest non-conference rival, both in score and home game attendance.

Lol, Colorado comes back to win in OT, sending thousands of Nebraskans back home disappointed. Not a bad win for the PAC-12.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Meanwhile in Pasadena, dozens of UCLA fans go home disappointed. Not a great loss for the PAC-12.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    FWIW, I heard a report from a USC insider that the Trojan administration loves Helton because he runs a clean program, and scandal-ridden USC really needs that right now. Who knows if this is true, but I hope it is. Go Clay! Keep that program clean and mediocre!
    Lol. Love it! Has the ucla-version of Chip Kelly ever won a non-conference game? Methinks he is 0-5 staring down Oklahoma next week.

:high five:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Lol, Colorado comes back to win in OT, sending thousands of Nebraskans back home disappointed. Not a bad win for the PAC-12.

I would say it is easily the best win in the conference yet this year.

The PAC12 just got interesting. Oregon scoring 77, Arizona scoring 62, Cal knocking of Washington, and USC laying the wood to Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    The PAC12 just got interesting. Oregon scoring 77, Arizona scoring 62, Cal knocking of Washington, and USC laying the wood to Stanford.
    Bad news for us of usc woke up. It's not as important as byu winning, but if the Trojans are good (and they look it) that makes the south very hard to win. That game at the coliseum in two weeks is uber important. Good thing I'll be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Bad news for us of usc woke up. It's not as important as byu winning, but if the Trojans are good (and they look it) that makes the south very hard to win. That game at the coliseum in two weeks is uber important. Good thing I'll be there!
    On the flip side of the PAC-12 South, ASU didn’t look good while beating an inferior team.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-08-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Lynn Swann song

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/s...letic-director

He's out, very odd timing.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 09-09-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Lynn Swann song

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/s...letic-director

He's out, very odd timing.
    AD at USC is a tough job.

--Yeats

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Chip Kelly has now lost 26 of his last 31 games as a head coach (college and NFL)
    Last edited by Sullyute; 09-15-2019 at 12:36 PM.

FWIW, I heard a report from a USC insider that the Trojan administration loves Helton because he runs a clean program, and scandal-ridden USC really needs that right now. Who knows if this is true, but I hope it is. Go Clay! Keep that program clean and mediocre!
    The whole "Helton runs a clean program" thing is going to wear out quickly if he keeps blowing games he should easily win.

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The whole "Helton runs a clean program" thing is going to wear out quickly if he keeps blowing games he should easily win.
    If I were a USC fan, I would be wondering how we wound up in a position where all we had was a 3-star freshman quarterback as our primary backup, and he was in a situation yesterday where he threw a pick during overtime that ended the game — against a team with less talent and with defensive backs and linebackers known for their lack of speed. Hard to find good answers for those questions.

As a Utah fan I think Helton is terrific and I hope he stays in his job a long time.

--Yeats

If I were a USC fan, I would be wondering how we wound up in a position where all we had was a 3-star freshman quarterback as our primary backup, and he was in a situation yesterday where he threw a pick during overtime that ended the game — against a team with less talent and with defensive backs and linebackers known for their lack of speed. Hard to find good answers for those questions.

As a Utah fan I think Helton is terrific and I hope he stays in his job a long time.
    I'm a well known supporter of clay. Unfortunately, I think his obit was written yesterday.

Not sure USC will make a change with Helton with an interim AD.

Pretty horrible mistake by PAC-12 refs.

FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) Tweeted:
    Turns out Michigan State should've had a 3rd try at the game-tying field goal.

@DeanBlandino explains https://t.co/0G7x9vEqoN https://twitter.com/CFBONFOX/status/...261079040?s=17

--Yeats

Dan Guerrero is retiring from UCLA next June. I wonder if they'll be looking Mark Harlan's way? if I recall I think he worked with him in Westwood previously.

I don't even know what to say anymore? KSL is just flat out embarrassing

https://twitter.com/kslsports/status/1174778931875995648

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I don't even know what to say anymore? KSL is just flat out embarrassing

https://twitter.com/kslsports/status/1174778931875995648
    They are writing/posting for their audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    They are writing/posting for their audience.
    An audience that LOVES to be relevant.

--Yeats

Ho Lee Chit! UCLA down 32, and comes back to win at Wazzu. Wazzu QB throws 9 TD’s in a game and loses.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-22-2019 at 01:29 AM.

UCLA’s attendance woes could take a ‘record’ turn against Oregon State

When the opening kickoff sails into the air Saturday evening at the Rose Bowl, UCLA will be on nearly equal footing with Oregon State, the blight of the Pac-12 Conference. The Bruins (1-4 overall, 1-1 Pac-12) are just six-point favorites over the Beavers (1-3, 0-1) in a game that could be played before a record-low crowd.

The number to “beat” is 32,513. That was the attendance on Nov. 7, 1992, when UCLA edged Oregon State before what still stands as the smallest gathering for a Bruins game in their 37 years at the Rose Bowl. The three smallest UCLA crowds at the stadium have all involved the Beavers, who don’t travel well or have a large alumni base in Southern California.
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/...ALtQvyGxtgT720
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2019 at 08:16 AM.

--Yeats

Dang, the PAC12 really knows how to cannibalizes itself! I love the parity, makes every game interesting.

Still a little confused on how UCLA beat WSU as they are a terrible team.

As if the PAC-12 season wasn't weird enough already.

Summon Seattle Ute, who thinks Urban Meyers’s warts are irrelevant.

Column: Mike Bohn brings USC integrity, which means he can’t hire Urban Meyer

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/s...r-usc-football

--Yeats

It's not clear that Urban wants back in. If he does, I still think the job is his.

Plaschke, as usual, is not convincing. He does list a few good options, though, in case Urban doesn't want back in. Franklin and Rhule seem like good hires. Or maybe Bohn steals Fickrell from Cincy.
    Last edited by sancho; 11-03-2019 at 07:02 AM.