Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So the Beavos might be really really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Week 6
    1. Utah: defense is swarming, and the offense did just enough. ASU is a huge monkey on Utah's back, and they come to town.
    2. Stanford: follow up their bye week with a massive Thursday night game against UCLA.
    3. UCLA: also coming off of a bye week, they can get back on track in the P12 with a win in Palo Alto.
    4. Cal: Plenty of opportunities, but hard to overcome 6 turnovers. They'll use the bye to get on track.
    5. USC: 0-2 in the P12 at home, and now they're without their HC. Big rivalry game in South Bend.
    6. ASU: comfortable victory against the Buffs, and they throw the P12 south into chaos with a win in SLC.
    7. Washington: Big win for Petersen at USC. Beating Oregon for the first time in 12 years would make the season for the Husky fan base.
    8. Wazzou: what a circuitous route to 3-2. They're almost certain to be 4-2 against the hapless Beavs.
    9. Arizona: convincing victory at home, and they have an easy road trip to Boulder.
    10. Oregon: yikes. Two ten-point leads blown, and it doesn't get easier this week in Seattle.
    11. Colorado: still significantly behind the rest of the P12 south.
    12. Oregon St: I don't see another win on the schedule. Andersen has a lot of work to do.
    Week 8:
    1. Stanford: hitting their stride. Massive game against a resurgent Wazzou team.
    2. Utah: licking their wounds after thorough beating from the Trojans. The Beavs will be the cure for what ails them.
    3. UCLA: crushed Cal, and have an easy match-up with the Buffs.
    4. Wazzou: a win against the Cardinal at home, and they control their own destiny in the North. Just like we all predicted.
    5. USC: impressive performance against top-5 Utah. They hope to extend Cal's losing streak.
    6. ASU: potential elimination game for the Devs against the Ducks.
    7. Cal: two consecutive deflating losses, and it doesn't get easier this week in Berkeley.
    8. Oregon: a loss in Tempe all but eliminates them from winning the North.
    9. Arizona: a very, very soft 5-3. A win in Seattle may be the only route to bowl eligibility.
    10. Washington: at 3-4, they're in the same position as the Wildcats.
    11. Colorado: their first P12 win in almost two years. There's signs of improvement, but they still have a long way to go.
    12. Oregon St: Gary Andersen returns to RES for the first time since his first game as USU's head coach in 2009.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Watching the Thursday night PAC game, Oregon at ASU. A couple of thoughts:

1. We're not even out of October, and we've beat both these teams already. That's pretty damn cool. Let *that* fact sink in...

2. Oregon's up 10-0 in the first half, and watching the body language of ASU players and assistants, and it seems apparent to me that Todd Graham's tantrums are wearing thin in Tempe. Between Graham and Rich Rod, the two Arizona snit-throwers may be wearing their teams out.

If we find a way to go from 5th in the South to 3rd in the South (or better), that's a seismic achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Watching the Thursday night PAC game, Oregon at ASU. A couple of thoughts:

1. We're not even out of October, and we've beat both these teams already. That's pretty damn cool. Let *that* fact sink in...

2. Oregon's up 10-0 in the first half, and watching the body language of ASU players and assistants, and it seems apparent to me that Todd Graham's tantrums are wearing thin in Tempe. Between Graham and Rich Rod, the two Arizona snit-throwers may be wearing their teams out.

If we find a way to go from 5th in the South to 3rd in the South (or better), that's a seismic achievement.
    Funny, I am watching this game too and before reading your comment, I was just thinking Graham must have some real "good guy" assistants on his staff because otherwise I can't see how his players maintain much desire to go out and play for him.

What a screwed up play on 4th and goal to score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    What a screwed up play on 4th and goal to score.

Unreal finish. My hatred of Sham-Wow is strong. Go Ducks
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

What a stupid play call by Oregon on the 2 point try.

Bailed out by a bad route. What a finish.

Screw you Graham. You can use your Sham-Wow to dry your tears.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    What a stupid play call by Oregon on the 2 point try.

Yep. It just about cost them. Trying to be too cute.
    André Gide

Also stupid play calling from ASU. They have run the ball down their throat all game long. They get to the 3, first and goal and throw two passes. The first was tipped and almost picked. The second was picked.
    André Gide

Kind of interesting. This is long overdue.

USC proposes $270 million in Coliseum upgrades

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-30-2015 at 12:48 PM.

--Yeats

Watching Cal it's becoming obvious Goff's stock is plummeting.

The interception he just threw against USC was a horrible decision and a very poor throw.

You get pressure on him right now and he really is apt to force it. (And it's been odd how much Cal ran the ball the first half)

Mike Leach is a very good coach.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Ugh, UW offense finally wakes up after being lousy all season. I am not watching, but I hope this says more about Arizona than about the Huskies.
    Bad attitude. Let's go beat a good team!
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Arizona really sucks. That was my takeaway.
    André Gide

Six conference games and Utah was the only team to win by more than 6 points.
    André Gide

I'm in! Down go the dogs!
    So am I. Let's just win, ugly or pretty.

--Yeats

That last five minutes was Wazzian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Arizona really sucks. That was my takeaway.
    So we should win by 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    So we should win by 3?

Washington State seems to lose this way more than its share of times.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Washington State seems to lose this way more than its share of times.
    WSU played inspired Defense all game. They really looked tough. Stanford stalled the Cougar offense a few times in the Red Zone but the kicker was nails until that final kick. The last one was heartbreaking, but he was 5-6 on the night and beat his personal best twice.

The replay reviews going against WSU were strange. They should have allowed the fumble return TD to stand, as none of the views clearly showed the ball hitting the ground, and that drive ended with a TD for Stanford.

The play where the Cougar defender stripped the ball from McCaffrey seemed a bit of a stretch. It may have been the right call but it took too much justification to reach that conclusion. TD Stanford a few plays later.

Mike Leach has put together a solid defense(!) and a very impressive run game(!!) to match the passing game that is always solid. They kept slugging away in that game and landed haymakers left and right, and nearly pulled the biggest upset in over 20 yrs.

Ucla-cu down to the wire for the second year in a row. We're not the only ones who struggle with the buffs.
    To be honest I am glad to be in a conference where we need to bring our A game vs the league 'doormats' or else they will beat us going away. I like the parity.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    To be honest I am glad to be in a conference where we need to bring our A game vs the league 'doormats' or else they will beat us going away. I like the parity.
    Couple that with all of the various offensive styles, you know that if you come out of this league as a champion, you have a really good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Week 8:
    1. Stanford: hitting their stride. Massive game against a resurgent Wazzou team.
    2. Utah: licking their wounds after thorough beating from the Trojans. The Beavs will be the cure for what ails them.
    3. UCLA: crushed Cal, and have an easy match-up with the Buffs.
    4. Wazzou: a win against the Cardinal at home, and they control their own destiny in the North. Just like we all predicted.
    5. USC: impressive performance against top-5 Utah. They hope to extend Cal's losing streak.
    6. ASU: potential elimination game for the Devs against the Ducks.
    7. Cal: two consecutive deflating losses, and it doesn't get easier this week in Berkeley.
    8. Oregon: a loss in Tempe all but eliminates them from winning the North.
    9. Arizona: a very, very soft 5-3. A win in Seattle may be the only route to bowl eligibility.
    10. Washington: at 3-4, they're in the same position as the Wildcats.
    11. Colorado: their first P12 win in almost two years. There's signs of improvement, but they still have a long way to go.
    12. Oregon St: Gary Andersen returns to RES for the first time since his first game as USU's head coach in 2009.
    Week 9:
    1. Stanford: survived against a very feisty Wazzou team.
    2. Utah: unimpressive win against the worst team in the league.
    3. UCLA: tight win against the worst team in the South.
    4. USC: workmanlike victory against their in-state rivals.
    5. Wazzou: no shame in a last-second loss to Stanford. This week's ASU game could determine a bowl berth.
    6. Oregon: they're not the ducks of old, but they can clinch a bowl berth against the Bears this week.
    7. Washington: thorough beatdown of the Cats, and they get the Utes this week, a team they've been quite successful against.
    8. Cal: the struggles continue.
    9. ASU: wild 3OT game with the Ducks, and they have a massive game in Pullman.
    10. Arizona: no excuses for losing by 46.
    11. Colorado: they've been competitive, they just need to find a way to win some of these.
    12. Oregon St: they covered easily. that's something.

Meanwhile, in Los Angeles...well, a lot of football left to play.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Mike Leach, after beating ASU: "We stole a few of their signs."

I feel a little bad. I think we broke Cal.

Attachment 1682
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.