Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The Beavs are -37 vs. the Huskies. If I were a better I'd take the points and bet the farm.
    I trust everyone here made piles of money off this advice. I'm glad to help. Unfortunately, I don't have a farm and I don't bet against my teams.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    If Cal can win out, they'd have a great shot to win the North. So, we should all be Cal fans and hope they win out.
    Excellent point. We'd be the best one-loss team possible, as we avenged the narrowest of road losses with a (presumably) more decisive win. In effect, we would have cleaned out the division, to use a boxing metaphor. It's the next best thing to going undefeated.

The next best outcome would to defeat a ranked Wazzu. I want no part of a rematch against UW on a neutral field.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Still no sun in Eugene.
    IMG_2789.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Excellent point. We'd be the best one-loss team possible, as we avenged the narrowest of road losses with a (presumably) more decisive win. In effect, we would have cleaned out the division, to use a boxing metaphor. It's the next best thing to going undefeated.

The next best outcome would to defeat a ranked Wazzu. I want no part of a rematch against UW on a neutral field.
    Here is something crazy to think about:

We know so little about Washington. They have looked amazing so far...vs terrible teams.

They could blow us out this weekend. Or we could blow them out.

Hell, with Utah, USC, Cal, WSU and ASU left on their schedule, they could finish the season 0-5...or 5-0.

College football...it's all guesswork. Ha ha.

Arizona state is wearing absolutely awful helmets. Some kind of homage to copper.

But the Halloween Beavers look sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

That is a fantastic look. They even blacked out the field logo. That is a serious level of dedication.

Thursday night will be a big night for the South/Our chances at winning it. UCLA travels to Colorado...and I have to say, It's hard for me to imagine CU goes from worst to a 1 loss team heading into the showdown with us in a few weeks. I feel like they've got a stumble ahead of them, and when you look at their schedule, vs. a talented but underachieving UCLA team, @Arizona (we know how that went for us last year) and vs. WSU...those are all pretty decent opportunities for them to lose.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

pretty awesome that someone was able to convince OSU that celebrating the fact they haven't won the Rose Bowl in 75 years was a great idea!

Two huge games this week while we eat brats and relax: Oregon @ USC and UCLA @ Colorado. They should both be wins for the PAC teams that are competing with us for first in the south, but Oregon and UCLA have the talent to pull off the upset. Go DUCKS and BRUINS.

Someone posted this on another site, but we have to win out to win the south.

Even Colorado loses, they'd have two losses and the winner of the Utah/Colorado game wins the south.

Someone posted this on another site, but we have to win out to win the south.

Even Colorado loses, they'd have two losses and the winner of the Utah/Colorado game wins the south.
    Unless Colorado loses two, then beats us, and USC loses another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Two huge games this week while we eat brats and relax: Oregon @ USC and UCLA @ Colorado. They should both be wins for the PAC teams that are competing with us for first in the south, but Oregon and UCLA have the talent to pull off the upset. Go DUCKS and BRUINS.
    It doesn't matter. Utah has to win out except for the highly unlikely scenario that Scratch has identified. Right now everybody is charmed by Colorado's return to the national stage, and there's a case to be made that Utah will be better off beating a Colorado that is everybody's darling than a lightly regarded Colorado. I don't care who wins those games. It doesn't matter to Utah. Let's just go win the next four. The Utes can do it, especially after getting some injured players back and regrouping.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-03-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

It doesn't matter. Utah has to win out except for the highly unlikely scenario that Scratch has identified. Right now everybody is charmed by Colorado's return to the national stage, and there's a case to be made that Utah will be better off beating a Colorado that is everybody's darling that a lightly regarded Colorado. I don't care who wins those games. It doesn't matter to Utah. Let's just go win the next four. The Utes can do it, especially after getting some injured players back and regrouping.

USC-UW is gong to be a great game. Darnold has really made them a much better team. the UW db's on JuJu and Adoree Jackson will be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    USC-UW is gong to be a great game. Darnold has really made them a much better team. the UW db's on JuJu and Adoree Jackson will be fun to watch.
    Spot-on. USC's defense againt Browning & Wash's passing ought to be fun too. The Trojan's D has been good since Utah averaging 18.8 ppg while the O has scored 38.8
    I expect them to dismantle Oregon this week. The Ducks might not be bowl eligible this year - first to worst, Helfrich is in trouble I imagine.
    Last edited by pangloss; 11-03-2016 at 10:37 AM.

The Trojans of course have the most talent, as they do every year. And it actually helps the Utes if their stock keeps rising, since the Utes have to win out anyway. USC is our Alabama, and my fear is that it's only a matter of time before USC gets an elite coach again, and then ...

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Spot-on. USC's defense againt Browning & Wash's passing ought to be fun too. The Trojan's D has been good since Utah averaging 18.8 ppg while the O has scored 38.8
    I expect them to dismantle Oregon this week. The Ducks might not be bowl eligible this year - first to worst, Helfrich is in trouble I imagine.
    Helfrich is safe this year barring something wildly improbably happening. Playing the Frosh QB and showing signs of life has bought him time. He will enter next season with some firm expectations that will determine his future at Oregon however.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Helfrich is safe this year barring something wildly improbably happening. Playing the Frosh QB and showing signs of life has bought him time. He will enter next season with some firm expectations that will determine his future at Oregon however.
    I'm sure his ridiculously high buyout doesn't hurt either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USC doesn't need a great coach. There is so much talent there. They just need to do what Oete Carroll did...and Whitt does.

Play good ST, play great defense, run the ball.

All this hurry up, spread, air raid is just gimmicks when you can't physically compete.

Blog Entries
    USC doesn't need a great coach. There is so much talent there. They just need to do what Oete Carroll did...and Whitt does.

Play good ST, play great defense, run the ball.

All this hurry up, spread, air raid is just gimmicks when you can't physically compete.
    This is a silly statement for a lot of reasons. 1. Pete was one of the 5 best coaches in CFB 2. Whit is a top 15 coach 3. Urban runs this "gimmick" and is the 2nd best coach in CFB 4. The best coach in CFB, maybe ever, Saban is even turning to the "gimmick"

This is a silly statement for a lot of reasons. 1. Pete was one of the 5 best coaches in CFB 2. Whit is a top 15 coach 3. Urban runs this "gimmick" and is the 2nd best coach in CFB 4. The best coach in CFB, maybe ever, Saban is even turning to the "gimmick"
    Ah,damn.Don'tcalloutUtahonso-called-facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'm sure his ridiculously high buyout doesn't hurt either.
    I was curious about his buyout and found this, "If Helfrich leaves for another job before the contract's second year is up, he must pay $3 million to the university. If he leaves before years three or four are finished, it's $2 million. The figure drops to $1 million if he chooses to leave before the end of the fifth contract year." But that's the buyout if another school lures him away. I'm still looking for his guarantee

That's a lot, but it isn't ridiculous. The $7M Florida paid to get McElwain out of Colorado State was ridiculous. That one's still hard to comprehend.
    Last edited by pangloss; 11-03-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Yeah, Urban run a gimmicky offense. The difference between his offense and Pete Carroll's is that Urban does it from the shotgun. It's the same power run concepts, just different looks.

Football is simple. Run the ball, play good defense, don't turn it over. That's what great teams do.

Even Chip Kelly at Oregon. His offense is extremely gimmicky. It's why he struggles in the NFL so much.

Kelly was at Oregon, which is a tough place to recruit to. It's hard to get OL/DL there. So, what did Kelly do?

Run the uptempo to allow his smaller OL to tire out the DL and get the ball to the edges quickly for the same reasons.

This allowed him to run the ball effectively vs bigger defenses and took the OL out of his offense.

It was a gimmick to cover Oregon's weaknesses. But his goals were the same: Don't turn the ball over and run it. He sacrificed defense to help him run the ball better.

I was curious about his buyout and found this, "If Helfrich leaves for another job before the contract's second year is up, he must pay $3 million to the university. If he leaves before years three or four are finished, it's $2 million. The figure drops to $1 million if he chooses to leave before the end of the fifth contract year." But that's the buyout if another school lures him away. I'm still looking for his guarantee

That's a lot, but it isn't ridiculous. The $7M Florida paid to get McElwain out of Colorado State was ridiculous. That one's still hard to comprehend.
    I thought I read somewhere he gets $11 million if fired this year.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Urban run a gimmicky offense. The difference between his offense and Pete Carroll's is that Urban does it from the shotgun. It's the same power run concepts, just different looks.

Football is simple. Run the ball, play good defense, don't turn it over. That's what great teams do.

Even Chip Kelly at Oregon. His offense is extremely gimmicky. It's why he struggles in the NFL so much.

Kelly was at Oregon, which is a tough place to recruit to. It's hard to get OL/DL there. So, what did Kelly do?

Run the uptempo to allow his smaller OL to tire out the DL and get the ball to the edges quickly for the same reasons.

This allowed him to run the ball effectively vs bigger defenses and took the OL out of his offense.

It was a gimmick to cover Oregon's weaknesses. But his goals were the same: Don't turn the ball over and run it. He sacrificed defense to help him run the ball better.
    You never watched Oregon with Chip, it was a power run between the tackle offense. Ask harbaugh how he handled it. How many Chip Oregon era OL are in the NFL now?
    Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 11-03-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Great website for coach contract info

https://hkm.com/football/

It's $11 Million if they can him.

$11 Million to fire someone is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It's $11 Million if they can him.

$11 Million to fire someone is ridiculous.

A deal's a deal. That's what makes America great.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Also, aside from the contract, which Helfrich has every right to enforce, he did take them to the brink of a national championship. In another epoch, Oregon would have been the national champion. Oregon beat the only undefeated, defending champion, and no. 1 ranked team, and Ohio State would never have gotten a crack at Oregon. After beating FSU, Oregon would have been voted no. 1.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Also, aside from the contract, which Helfrich has every right to enforce, he did take them to the brink of a national championship. In another epoch, Oregon would have been the national champion. Oregon beat the only undefeated, defending champion, and no. 1 ranked team, and Ohio State would never have gotten a crack at Oregon. After beating FSU, Oregon would have been voted no. 1.
    Les Miles won 2 national championships and competed for others, and never had a season like Oregon's this year. Didn't help him. And Helfrich doesn't have to coach against Saban.