Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Did you hear Chris Fowler say that teams "wear down against Stanford's intellectual brutality"? I almost spit out my Coke.
    Well, that’s a little over the top. Surprised Fowler was the author of that line.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Well, that’s a little over the top. Surprised Fowler was the author of that line.
    He may have been joking. If so, it is kind of funny.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Since we are now in the Pac-12 South hunt, let's track who we want to win this week:

Utah over UofA. Duh.
    Washington vs. Oregon. Who cares? This is a pac-12 North battle.
    Cal over UCLA. I know, UCLA is out of the picture (well, not yet) and you don't want them to be winless before Utah comes to the Rose bowl. But, we ALWAYS want South-North battles to go to the north when we are not playing and we ALWAYS like to see UCLA suffer.
    Colorado over USC. Surprised? Don't be. We need USC to lose any game possible. Have you seen their schedule? They avoid Washington AND Oregon?!?!?!!? They already got blown out be Stanford so realistically this is one of the most likely losses for them left on their schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Since we are now in the Pac-12 South hunt, let's track who we want to win this week:

Utah over UofA. Duh.
    Washington vs. Oregon. Who cares? This is a pac-12 North battle.
    Cal over UCLA. I know, UCLA is out of the picture (well, not yet) and you don't want them to be winless before Utah comes to the Rose bowl. But, we ALWAYS want South-North battles to go to the north when we are not playing and we ALWAYS like to see UCLA suffer.
    Colorado over USC. Surprised? Don't be. We need USC to lose any game possible. Have you seen their schedule? They avoid Washington AND Oregon?!?!?!!? They already got blown out be Stanford so realistically this is one of the most likely losses for them left on their schedule.
    We want UCLA to beat Cal because we could be competing with Cal for a bowl slot.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    We want UCLA to beat Cal because we could be competing with Cal for a bowl slot.
    I wouldn't think Cal would win the North and challenge us for a shot at the Rose Bowl, but you never know?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    You are likely right, but the real answer here is that we don't know who to root for. CU certainly has a tougher schedule than USC. On the other hand, if USC beats CU this weekend, we control our own destiny for the south.

You are likely right, but the real answer here is that we don't know who to root for. CU certainly has a tougher schedule than USC. On the other hand, if USC beats CU this weekend, we control our own destiny for the south.
    what I think will happen to Colorado when Utah plays them

Evidence of actual corruption in Pac 12 officiating...to the surprise of no one.

Evidence of actual corruption in Pac 12 officiating...to the surprise of no one.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...te-game-report
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 10-11-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I don’t follow other conferences officiating but it seems that PAC12 officiating has been a joke for ever. Even back in the Mountain West days, I hated having PAC12 refs as they seemed to always favor the other team (I am sure every fan feels that way).

Way too early for this, but I'm day dreaming. The following teams control their own destiny in the south:

USC at 3-1
    Utah at 2-2

The other four teams can still tie for the division lead but lose tiebreakers:

Colorado at 2-1 has a loss to USC
    Arizona at 2-2 has losses to USC and Utah
    UCLA at 1-2 has a loss to Colorado
    ASU at 2-2 has a loss to Colorado

UCLA lost to UW by just a TD last week, and they easily beat Cal yesterday. Sure would have been nice to play them at the beginning of the season when they were awful instead of on a short week on the road when they are good.

USC looked like USC last night. Athletic, strong, fast at every position...except RB. That was the key difference. The WR's are pretty scary, though. The freshman QB looked like a star freshman - plenty of bad throws, some really bad decisions, and a few perfect plays. Hopefully, Gustin is out on Sat.
    Last edited by sancho; 10-14-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Hopefully, Gustin is out on Sat.
    It's official - Gustin out for the season.

It's official - Gustin out for the season.
    And Penei Sewell out for Oregon with ankle sprain. He might miss his Utah homecoming game.

Too bad Penei and Gustin will be on the sidelines for their homecomings. They should ask Gabe Reid about the experience.

* They should not contact Ty Jones.

This is a fun read:

Yahoo Sports exclusive: WSU's Mike Leach called out Pac-12 officiating via text after controversial USC game

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sport...044605525.html

It’s by Pete Thamel, who’s no slouch as a writer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is a fun read:

Yahoo Sports exclusive: WSU's Mike Leach called out Pac-12 officiating via text after controversial USC game

I’m really not sure why Larry Scott is still employed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I’m really not sure why Larry Scott is still employed.

I think it's just a matter of time.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is a fun read:

The freedom of information act is a little creepy.

Coaches should know better, though.

The freedom of information act is a little creepy.

Coaches should know better, though.
    Knowing Mike Leach, he very likely did know better. It wouldn’t surprise in the least if he sent the texts with full intention of them becoming public. Great way to get your point across while avoiding the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Knowing Mike Leach, he very likely did know better. It wouldn’t surprise in the least if he sent the texts with full intention of them becoming public. Great way to get your point across while avoiding the fine.
    I have no doubt that is exactly what he was doing. He is a smart, cagy guy.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

I've said this before, I'll say it again: We should all thank our lucky stars BYU can't hire Leach as HC.

Cameron Smith not likely to play for USC against ASU due to knee issues. It would be a big help if ASU could pull out the win Saturday. I’m not too proud to win the south with 3 losses and a tie breaker.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Happy to see him put that Pepperdine education to use.

Apparently USC fired their line coach and Helton has taken over offensive play calling going forward. All is not well in Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Apparently USC fired their line coach and Helton has taken over offensive play calling going forward. All is not well in Troy.
    Anyone else and I might almost feel sorry for them.

Oregon seems to have no desire to win this game.

Oregon only has one run play in the playbook to kill time.

McIntyre out at CU. Jeff Tedford, who has done a nice rebuilding job at Fresno, would be an interesting hire.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    McIntyre out at CU. Jeff Tedford, who has done a nice rebuilding job at Fresno, would be an interesting hire.
    I will be shocked if Tedford isn’t hired by CU or USC. A proven winner in this league and a known commodity among California high school coaches.

UCLA’s attendance woes could take a ‘record’ turn against Oregon State

When the opening kickoff sails into the air Saturday evening at the Rose Bowl, UCLA will be on nearly equal footing with Oregon State, the blight of the Pac-12 Conference. The Bruins (1-4 overall, 1-1 Pac-12) are just six-point favorites over the Beavers (1-3, 0-1) in a game that could be played before a record-low crowd.

The number to “beat” is 32,513. That was the attendance on Nov. 7, 1992, when UCLA edged Oregon State before what still stands as the smallest gathering for a Bruins game in their 37 years at the Rose Bowl. The three smallest UCLA crowds at the stadium have all involved the Beavers, who don’t travel well or have a large alumni base in Southern California.
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/...ALtQvyGxtgT720
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2019 at 08:16 AM.

--Yeats