Had an experience this morning coming to work. I was on the Legacy Freeway at 6:00 am in the left lane following a newere VW Jetta. He was going a little slower than I like, but was passing some cars on the right, so I didn't worry. After he passed the cars, there were no cars in either lanes in front of him for about a quarter mile. However, after he was well past the last car, he didn't get over into the right lane.

I don't like passing on the right, it is not safe, and I think it may be against the law. So I did what I have always considered the acceptable sign for "I'd like to pass you", I briefly flashed my brights (less than a second).

The guy in the Jetta didn't like that, so what did he decide to do? Slam on his brakes, in the middle of the freeway! I obviously did not expect that, so I had to slam on my brakes and move into the shoulder to avoid rear ending him.

After I avoided the crash, they guy sped up, and got over into the right lane. It made me start to question if flashing brights to pass is percieved by most people as a normal signal, or a sign of aggressiveness.

I followed the guy to his work and had a conversation with him. I was not agressive in following or as I parked and dismounted to talk to him. He came at me, and got in my face. All I asked was why he felt like slamming on the brakes was the best thing to do. He had no answer, and blamed me for following too close. I told him that slamming on the brakes put my life in danger, and I was contemplating calling the police. However, I'm not sure if I will, or if it would do any good.