Thread: The Movie History Thread

The Movie History Thread

Just a thread about great actors, great movies, and such things.

This video's about Rita Moreno and is quite well-done:

http://www.makers.com/rita-moreno?nc...usaolp00000046

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I say the greatest comedy of all time is Young Frankenstein or Some Like it Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I say the greatest comedy of all time is Young Frankenstein or Some Like it Hot.
    Agreed. Who disagrees?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Agreed. Who disagrees?
    I disagree. The greatest comedy of all time is "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Agreed. Who disagrees?
    Hard to argue with either of those movies, or It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

But I submit Blazing Saddles, Animal House, Caddyshack, and Dr. Strangelove.

Honorable mention: Mr Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    Hard to argue with either of those movies, or It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

But I submit Blazing Saddles, Animal House, Caddyshack, and Dr. Strangelove.

Honorable mention: Mr Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse.
    i am probably too young to fully appreciate those listed, although I have seen most of them. To me, Airplane will always be the movie that defines comedy. I remember the first time I saw it, my aunt rented a VCR and the video, and we watched it with our cousins. My oldest cousin threw up Ramblin root beer he was laughing so hard. It rendered one of our bean bag chairs unusable from then on.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-27-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Tough to choose the greatest comedy. For me "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" was the one that induced tears of laughter -- before the opening credits were over!

--Yeats

Tough to choose the greatest comedy. For me "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" was the one that induced tears of laughter -- before the opening credits were over!
    Forgot all about "Holy Grail". "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government". Absolutely classic.

"Airplane" was also a classic.

In no particular order. I will watch these any time I see them on TV.

Young Frankenstein
    Dumb and Dumber
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Thank You for Smoking
    Operation Petticoat
    Kelly's Heroes
    Get Shorty
    Trading Places
    Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
    Austin Powers
    Groundhog Day
    Christmas Vacation
    A Christmas Story
    Brewster's Millions
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

--Yeats