Thread: The Soccer, Football, Futbol, Fussball, Calcio et al. Thread

Hybrid View

The Soccer, Football, Futbol, Fussball, Calcio et al. Thread

This be where you can talk about kickyball. Any nation, any league, any competition, any team.

A few European leagues look like they have already been wrapped up, but hopefully we'll get some drama down the stretch...
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Milan-Barca today was fantastic. I haven't seen Barca outclassed like that in a very long time. Milan generated more chances and defended incredibly well.

I'll bite on this topic. Over the weekend my oldest daughter Josie's U16 club team (La Roca) won the SC Del Sol President's Day Tourney in Phoenix. This comes on the heels of winning a championship at the Disney Showcase in Orlando last month. They are now ranked #10 in region 4 and #31 nationally. This is a big accomplishment for a Utah team. Josie is the goalkeeper and she blocked a PK in the final this weekend for the win. Yeah, I'm kinda proud.

Quote Originally Posted by utahby5 View Post
    I'll bite on this topic. Over the weekend my oldest daughter Josie's U16 club team (La Roca) won the SC Del Sol President's Day Tourney in Phoenix. This comes on the heels of winning a championship at the Disney Showcase in Orlando last month. They are now ranked #10 in region 4 and #31 nationally. This is a big accomplishment for a Utah team. Josie is the goalkeeper and she blocked a PK in the final this weekend for the win. Yeah, I'm kinda proud.
    Just don't have her goo to Byu

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Glad you posted this. Congrats. My son made his HS team today as keeper. He's only played keeper for a year, but managed to make the team. I hope to be as good as man as he is one day. When he called with the results, I thought he had been cut. He was majorly upset that two of his friends were cut. He was sadder for them than the joy he had for himself. I'm prouder of that than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by utahby5 View Post
    A Utah Man am I

I feel nothing toward the Timbers, but damn, that's a world-class atmosphere at JELD-WEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    I feel nothing toward the Timbers, but damn, that's a world-class atmosphere at JELD-WEN.
    Too bad they don't have the team to match...he said with 60 minutes to go...
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    They should've traded for 2 RSL players (like RBNY) instead of one.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    And now we see why I made that specific caveat. That was some gutty play by the Timbers. Even though they had the chance to win it late, you had to feel that they really only deserved the tie with RSL...and no that isn't an error.

RSL starts the MLS campaign away to San Jose. The Quakes had their way with us last season, although we were victims of two harsh red cards in the 2nd trip to the Bay Area.

It will be interesting to see how Gil and Findley look.

Did someone say "Robbie Findley"?!

My little bro went up to Chicago tonight to see Argentina in the copa america. Messi with a hat trick off the bench. That's like seeing Joe Montana throw five tds or Jordan score 50.

Red, white, and blue. And black?

Somos libres!

Peru beats Brazil for the first time in 35 years on a hand of god goal. Great game.

USA! USA! That was a fun match. Semi's in the Copa America is no small feat.

Ugh. Penalty kicks. A really stupid part of an otherwise great sport.

Well, that was just awful. Messi misses his first shootout PK ever, and it's a huge one. He so depressed, he's talking about not playing for Argentina anymore. I really wanted him to finally be the hero in this thing. I guess that's what makes sports the best drama on TV - it doesn't follow the script.

Chile is pretty much the worst south american country, and they have back-to-back championships.

I will never understand why PK's aren't moved back. As it is now, they are 99% kicker, 1 % keeper. Why would anyone be opposed to finding the sweet spot where they are 50/50? That would be far more interesting at the end of extra time and would also be far more appropriate for an in-game PK.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, that was just awful. Messi misses his first shootout PK ever, and it's a huge one. He so depressed, he's talking about not playing for Argentina anymore. I really wanted him to finally be the hero in this thing. I guess that's what makes sports the best drama on TV - it doesn't follow the script.

Chile is pretty much the worst south american country, and they have back-to-back championships.
    Good riddance, Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Good riddance, Argentina.
    The Brasil/Argentina rivalry - so unnecessary! Just share that beautiful waterfall and a love of grilled meat.

Now Peru/Chile - that's a rivalry to get behind. Those rats stole the Atacama desert and all its guano! They slaughtered Miguel Grau, el cabellero del mar!

This might not be on your radar, but Peru is close to its first World Cup birth (berth? they both make sense in a way) since 1982. Tied for 4th in qualifying with matches against Argentina and Colombia remaining.

So many good sports things happening tonight!