Thread: The Soccer, Football, Futbol, Fussball, Calcio et al. Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Good riddance, Argentina.
    The Brasil/Argentina rivalry - so unnecessary! Just share that beautiful waterfall and a love of grilled meat.

Now Peru/Chile - that's a rivalry to get behind. Those rats stole the Atacama desert and all its guano! They slaughtered Miguel Grau, el cabellero del mar!

This might not be on your radar, but Peru is close to its first World Cup birth (berth? they both make sense in a way) since 1982. Tied for 4th in qualifying with matches against Argentina and Colombia remaining.

So many good sports things happening tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This might not be on your radar, but Peru is close to its first World Cup birth
    And...we're in! First time since 1982. Peru declared the day a national holiday and gave everyone the day off in anticipation of tonight's game.

World Cup time! Greatest sporting event in the world. Here's your rooting guide.

Group A: Go Egypt. Salah a rising star. Go Saudi Arabia just because nobody likes Uruguay, and we all want Russia to fall flat on its face for being a dick country.

Group B: Go Morocco. Then Spain just because nobody should be rooting for Iran in anything, and Portugal is such a bunch of pretty boys.

Group C: Go Peru. The blanquirojas are in their first WC since 1982. And they are Ute colors. Then Australia because socceroos. France is a Euro juggernaut, so we should root against them. Denmark? So bland in every way. How did the Scandinavian nations rig all those happiness surveys to make people believe they are the happiest people on earth? No way the happiest people on earth live in a place where the sun doesn't come out for months at a time and where, between four nations, there is not one decent national cuisine.

Group D: Go everyone. Seriously, the most likable group. Argentina is the Cleveland Cavs. Messi trying desperately to carry a bad team to a title. Argentina is the emotional favorite of all the contenders just for Leo. Iceland is fun. It's next to impossible to root against the African teams, especially when they play their European oppressors. And Croatia? Who has anything against them? They have the checkerboard jersey.

Group E: Go Ticos! Costa Rica - always skillful, and always too little in stature to get it done against the taller Euros/Africans/Brasil. Then Brasil because it's fun when they are good. No reason to root for Serbia or Switzerland in anything.

Group F: Vamos Mexico! America's other team! Then South Korea because it's great that Korea and Japan have come so far so quickly in soccer. Sweden is so happy with their fermented fish that they don't need a successful WC. And Germany started both great wars, so BOOOOO!

Group G: Go Panama! This is their first World Cup! Ever! Then Tunisia because Belgium and England are so boring.

Group H: Go Japan! Rising sun! Then Colombia and Senegal. And who really cares about Poland?

World Cup time! Greatest sporting event in the world. Here's your rooting guide.

Group A: Go Egypt. Salah a rising star. Go Saudi Arabia just because nobody likes Uruguay, and we all want Russia to fall flat on its face for being a dick country.

Group B: Go Morocco. Then Spain just because nobody should be rooting for Iran in anything, and Portugal is such a bunch of pretty boys.

Group C: Go Peru. The blanquirojas are in their first WC since 1982. And they are Ute colors. Then Australia because socceroos. France is a Euro juggernaut, so we should root against them. Denmark? So bland in every way. How did the Scandinavian nations rig all those happiness surveys to make people believe they are the happiest people on earth? No way the happiest people on earth live in a place where the sun doesn't come out for months at a time and where, between four nations, there is not one decent national cuisine.

Group D: Go everyone. Seriously, the most likable group. Argentina is the Cleveland Cavs. Messi trying desperately to carry a bad team to a title. Argentina is the emotional favorite of all the contenders just for Leo. Iceland is fun. It's next to impossible to root against the African teams, especially when they play their European oppressors. And Croatia? Who has anything against them? They have the checkerboard jersey.

Group E: Go Ticos! Costa Rica - always skillful, and always too little in stature to get it done against the taller Euros/Africans/Brasil. Then Brasil because it's fun when they are good. No reason to root for Serbia or Switzerland in anything.

Group F: Vamos Mexico! America's other team! Then South Korea because it's great that Korea and Japan have come so far so quickly in soccer. Sweden is so happy with their fermented fish that they don't need a successful WC. And Germany started both great wars, so BOOOOO!

Group G: Go Panama! This is their first World Cup! Ever! Then Tunisia because Belgium and England are so boring.

Group H: Go Japan! Rising sun! Then Colombia and Senegal. And who really cares about Poland?
    Agree with absolutely everything, EXCEPT disagree about Argentina. The Italy of South America they should never be encouraged.

Salah on the bench for Egypt versus Uruguay. Not good for Egypt's hopes.

Salah on the bench for Egypt versus Uruguay. Not good for Egypt's hopes.
    I wanted to see him.

Egypt looks good though. Uruguay looks better.

The Italy of South America they should never be encouraged.
    What is bad about being the Italy of South America? Italy is a top three European nation (with France and Greece), right? I've never been to Europe, but I'm pretty sure I'd go to Italy about 10 times before I got bored enough to book a trip to England.

So far, every game in the cup has gone against me. But that always happens because I root for underdogs and Leo Messi.

What is bad about being the Italy of South America? Italy is a top three European nation (with France and Greece), right? I've never been to Europe, but I'm pretty sure I'd go to Italy about 10 times before I got bored enough to book a trip to England.

So far, every game in the cup has gone against me. But that always happens because I root for underdogs and Leo Messi.
    What?!?!? You've never been to Europe?!?? Come join me; it's glorious.

And I meant that they were like Italian soccer, not the country that gave us pasta, the Roman empire, and Marco bellenelli.