Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 63

Thread: The Soccer, Football, Futbol, Fussball, Calcio et al. Thread

  1. #1

    The Soccer, Football, Futbol, Fussball, Calcio et al. Thread

    This be where you can talk about kickyball. Any nation, any league, any competition, any team.

    A few European leagues look like they have already been wrapped up, but hopefully we'll get some drama down the stretch...
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

  2. #2
    Milan-Barca today was fantastic. I haven't seen Barca outclassed like that in a very long time. Milan generated more chances and defended incredibly well.

  3. #3
    I'll bite on this topic. Over the weekend my oldest daughter Josie's U16 club team (La Roca) won the SC Del Sol President's Day Tourney in Phoenix. This comes on the heels of winning a championship at the Disney Showcase in Orlando last month. They are now ranked #10 in region 4 and #31 nationally. This is a big accomplishment for a Utah team. Josie is the goalkeeper and she blocked a PK in the final this weekend for the win. Yeah, I'm kinda proud.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by utahby5 View Post
    I'll bite on this topic. Over the weekend my oldest daughter Josie's U16 club team (La Roca) won the SC Del Sol President's Day Tourney in Phoenix. This comes on the heels of winning a championship at the Disney Showcase in Orlando last month. They are now ranked #10 in region 4 and #31 nationally. This is a big accomplishment for a Utah team. Josie is the goalkeeper and she blocked a PK in the final this weekend for the win. Yeah, I'm kinda proud.
    Just don't have her goo to Byu

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  5. #5
    RSL starts the MLS campaign away to San Jose. The Quakes had their way with us last season, although we were victims of two harsh red cards in the 2nd trip to the Bay Area.

    It will be interesting to see how Gil and Findley look.

  6. #6
    Did someone say "Robbie Findley"?!

    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

  7. #7
    Glad you posted this. Congrats. My son made his HS team today as keeper. He's only played keeper for a year, but managed to make the team. I hope to be as good as man as he is one day. When he called with the results, I thought he had been cut. He was majorly upset that two of his friends were cut. He was sadder for them than the joy he had for himself. I'm prouder of that than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by utahby5 View Post
    I'll bite on this topic. Over the weekend my oldest daughter Josie's U16 club team (La Roca) won the SC Del Sol President's Day Tourney in Phoenix. This comes on the heels of winning a championship at the Disney Showcase in Orlando last month. They are now ranked #10 in region 4 and #31 nationally. This is a big accomplishment for a Utah team. Josie is the goalkeeper and she blocked a PK in the final this weekend for the win. Yeah, I'm kinda proud.
    A Utah Man am I

  8. #8
    I feel nothing toward the Timbers, but damn, that's a world-class atmosphere at JELD-WEN.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    I feel nothing toward the Timbers, but damn, that's a world-class atmosphere at JELD-WEN.
    Too bad they don't have the team to match...he said with 60 minutes to go...
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    Too bad they don't have the team to match...he said with 60 minutes to go...
    They should've traded for 2 RSL players (like RBNY) instead of one.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    Too bad they don't have the team to match...he said with 60 minutes to go...
    And now we see why I made that specific caveat. That was some gutty play by the Timbers. Even though they had the chance to win it late, you had to feel that they really only deserved the tie with RSL...and no that isn't an error.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    And now we see why I made that specific caveat. That was some gutty play by the Timbers. Even though they had the chance to win it late, you had to feel that they really only deserved the tie with RSL...and no that isn't an error.
    Seriously. The three former RSL players bossed that game. Combined with RSL's 2-0 triumph in San Jose, it was one hell of a Sunday evening.

  13. #13
    Great day of soccer. Chelsea and United draw; Liverpool come from down 2-1 to take all 3 points against Spurs for the first time in 3 seasons.

  14. #14
    Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Vecinity of senioritis
    Posts
    277
    It's been nice watching Real Madrid beat Barcelona twice in the past few weeks at the Nou Camp.

    *edit* Yes, I realize the most recent win was a week or so ago, but I've been vacationing a lot lately. Now is the first time I've gotten to the point of reading this thread on UB5 so I thought I'd contribute.

    Also, in response to the comments about Jeld-Wen, the Pacific Northwest has some great atmospheres for soccer. No doubt Seattle and Portland have the best atmosphere. I'd attribute it to all the hipsters in the area. No joke. Having lived in Portland for 4 years, this is no surprise to me that they are getting great support. Portlanders....the young adults... consider themselves far too cool for the NBA or college football. They strive to be "different." Soccer is the perfect outlet for all those weirdos. American soccer seems to be a magnet for the the fringe of society.

    No, Boylen, not everyone that is a fan of American soccer is fringe or a weirdo.
    Last edited by UteBeliever aka Port; 03-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    It's been nice watching Real Madrid beat Barcelona twice in the past few weeks at the Nou Camp.

    *edit* Yes, I realize the most recent win was a week or so ago, but I've been vacationing a lot lately. Now is the first time I've gotten to the point of reading this thread on UB5 so I thought I'd contribute.

    Also, in response to the comments about Jeld-Wen, the Pacific Northwest has some great atmospheres for soccer. No doubt Seattle and Portland have the best atmosphere. I'd attribute it to all the hipsters in the area. No joke. Having lived in Portland for 4 years, this is no surprise to me that they are getting great support. Portlanders....the young adults... consider themselves far too cool for the NBA or college football. They strive to be "different." Soccer is the perfect outlet for all those weirdos. American soccer seems to be a magnet for the the fringe of society.

    No, Boylen, not everyone that is a fan of American soccer is fringe or a weirdo.
    Madrid is on a fantastic run of form. It was really fun watching them duke it out with ManU over 180 minutes and prevail.

    Re: "hipsters"/MLS, there's certainly that element at RSL matches.

  16. #16
    Home opener for RSL tonight. This is the first time in 3 years I didn't buy season tickets, but a 4pm start with this weather is a no-brainer.

    Sounds like Borchers will be in the 18. I'm also curious who will play at LB with Wingert and Mansally both out.

  17. #17
    US - 1
    Costa Rica - 0

    WC qualifier played in a blizzard in Denver. Ref was going to call the game at 54 minutes but the players on both sides said they wanted to play on. Field covered in snow; players slipping all over. Up next, Mexico.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  18. #18
    Forward, never straight Freaky Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    US - 1
    Costa Rica - 0

    WC qualifier played in a blizzard in Denver. Ref was going to call the game at 54 minutes but the players on both sides said they wanted to play on. Field covered in snow; players slipping all over. Up next, Mexico.

    I caught the end of that game!! Crazy!!! It looked soooo cold!
    If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone. -Maxwell Maltz

  19. #19
    I need to get my hands on one of those Centennial kits before the boys come to town...I also need tickets, but I'm being realistic
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

  20. #20
    I'm bumping in the worst possible way
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

  21. #21
    Well my early thread hopes for more competitive European leagues never materialized...so call your shot, who wins the CL? Munich or Dortmund?
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

  22. #22
    Educating Cyrus wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    499
    This video continues to amaze me. Ronaldinho may not have been the most dominant player ever like Maradona or Pelé, but he was so much fun to watch.

    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    This video continues to amaze me. Ronaldinho may not have been the most dominant player ever like Maradona or Pelé, but he was so much fun to watch.

    I once happened upon Ronaldinho at a hotel I was staying at. He is one goofy looking dude, but he can play.

  24. #24
    Anyone else going tonight? I will be there and am pretty excited about the game this evening.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Anyone else going tonight? I will be there and am pretty excited about the game this evening.
    I can't be there, but I'll be watching on TV. You should wear something that really stands out in the crowd. Or make a sign that says hi to me. That would be cool.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I can't be there, but I'll be watching on TV. You should wear something that really stands out in the crowd. Or make a sign that says hi to me. That would be cool.

    LOL. I will see if I can get the sign put together before I head up.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    LOL. I will see if I can get the sign put together before I head up.
    Sweet!
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

  28. #28
    A rather uneventful match, but the US was able to finally get the one goal and grind out a win. 13 points now and 3 more points clinches a spot in Brazil.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

  29. #29
    Crucial match for Liverpool this week, at Old Trafford.

    Also, Champions League starts next week. Madrid and PSG in the same group, plus the City/Juve/Sevilla group, will be awesome.

  30. #30
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,131
    Lewandowski's 5 goals in 9 minutes. On one page. That last one is pretty awesome.

    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015...olfsburg-video

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •