Thread: Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Jan/Feb movies have hit the library. These are usually terrible, but Hollywood came strong this year:

Power Ranking:

1) Shadow Recruit
    2) Non Stop
    3) Monuments Men
    4) 3 Days to Kill - False advertising. This is a family movie, a father-daughter relationship movie-that was sold as a spy/action thing. Booo!
    I haven't seen any of these, but I've heard Monuments Men is one of the unfunniest, bloated things Hollywood has done in a while. True?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I haven't seen any of these, but I've heard Monuments Men is one of the unfunniest, bloated things Hollywood has done in a while. True?
    The story is interesting (because it really happened and is interesting in its own right) but the movie is awful. I still sat through it because of its historicity, and I pretty much enjoyed it, but I had to overlook a lot. George Clooney directed, and the flick has all the marks of a director who had too much power and was allowed too many indulgences by the studio.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Just saw Monuments Men over the weekend and was very disappointed. It had such potential but couldn't decide if it was a light-hearted flick about the rag-tag bunch of misfits trying to make their way or a heavier piece where you really care about the characters. It tried to be both at various points but ended up being neither. There was a lot of dialogue that was supposed to be either funny or deep but completely missed the mark.

I don't get all the hate. It did have some funny moments, and a few poignant moments. No, not a great movie, but certainly not awful.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I don't get all the hate. It did have some funny moments, and a few poignant moments. No, not a great movie, but certainly not awful.
    No hate here. I enjoyed it. But some people will lack the patience to sit through some of it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I think the way the movie was promoted led to a lot of that. It's one of those movies where they show all the good stuff in the preview and you're left wanting more when you watch the whole thing.

I certainly didn't hate it, but it was disappointing especially given the cast

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Walter Mitty. Not a January movie, but another example of critics being too harsh. Good movie. Feel good story with good scenery, a snow leopard, and a tiny bit of soccer.
    I enjoyed Walter Mitty quite a lot. It was very enjoyable and my kids loved it too.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I enjoyed Walter Mitty quite a lot. It was very enjoyable and my kids loved it too.
    My older daughter liked it, but by two younger kids (8 & 6) got bored and fell asleep during the movie.