Thread: Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

Hybrid View

My wife picked up Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for the second time at the local 'brary. We didn't watch it the first time. I doubt we watch it this time either.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    My wife picked up Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for the second time at the local 'brary. We didn't watch it the first time. I doubt we watch it this time either.
    You should, though, it's a good movie.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    You should, though, it's a good movie.
    It is. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the book.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It is. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the book.
    I've heard it's hard to follow if you haven't read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's Oscar time at the library. It's gonna be tough to convince me that Pacific Rim is not the best movie of the year, but I'll give the others a fair chance.

So far: Gravity, Captain Phillips, and Blue Jasmine. I liked them all. I've always hated Tom Hanks for turning traitor and leaving comedy to do Oscar stuff. I think he finally won me over with the last 20 minutes of Cap'n P.
    that scene at the very end with the medical person is one of the most impressive things I've seen on camera. ever.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    No kidding. I've never acted before, but I think I could do Philadelphia, The Green Mile, Castaway, Saving Private Ryan, and maybe Forrest Gump. But not that. Not by a mile.
    My daughter and I were both moved to tears in that scene. He pulled us in.
    I heard on a podcast "Anatomy of a Movie", that the medical person was a real Navy medical person. Not an actor. And she was directed to just do what she does when treating the wounded.

That's exactly why he gets paid a ton of money to something very few can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    My daughter and I were both moved to tears in that scene. He pulled us in.
    I heard on a podcast "Anatomy of a Movie", that the medical person was a real Navy medical person. Not an actor. And she was directed to just do what she does when treating the wounded.

That's exactly why he gets paid a ton of money to something very few can do.
    I also liked Cap. Phillips. A little intense for my wife, though.

We also just picked up Dallas Buyer's Club (at Redbox, not the 'brary. Sorry). It was pretty good, if a little too Hollywood. But Leto and my-boy-McConaughey were excellent.