Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Running Thread

The Running Thread

There are some people who find great pleasure in weightlifting. I am not one of them, although I have been known to throw plates on a bar and chalk up my hands.

Others enjoy a dip in the pool for a mile or three. I can manage for a couple of hours but it's more of a chore than it should be.

Cycling is awesome, but my butt hurts after a few miles, and if there's a headwind I'll struggle.

But running - rain, shine, cold, hot, it doesn't matter. There is a zen that comes as your legs turn over for a dozen miles - or maybe even just a couple. Fast or slow, the mind frees and reaches a zen-like state.

I'm sure there have to be others here that enjoy a good run, and every good forum needs a place to talk gear, training, form and races - to share in successes and lament injuries. Let this be the place.

I have been in and out of running for 5 years now. Because of a back injury when I was younger, I get a lot of sciatic pain. So, lately my runs have been more sporadic and I've been spinning or doing more eliptical workouts. However, about once a week I still run 3-5 miles. My town is an outdoorsman's paradise and for trail running it is amazing. I have run several trails over these last few months and found some amazing waterfalls and seen a lot of wildlife including several bald eagles.

It's time for me to invest in some new trail running shoes. Does anyone have a good solid trail runner that they use. I have been running in a brooks adrenaline gts based shoe but am not a big fan. I over pronate so I need a good stability shoe/motion control.

I need to start running w a camera or phone to take pics of some of the stuff I see.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    It's time for me to invest in some new trail running shoes. Does anyone have a good solid trail runner that they use. I have been running in a brooks adrenaline gts based shoe but am not a big fan. I over pronate so I need a good stability shoe/motion control.
    Running is definitely my workout method of choice. I was a swimmer in HS and got into running in college because I started doing triathlons. Now that I have a lot less free time, I don't really bike or swim much. It's a whole lot easier to jet strap on the running shoes and head out the door.

As far as trail runners to, I bought a pair of Salomons a few years back that I've loved. They are a good, stable shoe, and they look nice, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-XT-Win.../dp/B0015HZ17E

I guess that That version of the shoe is 2 years old and unavailable, but the current version is probably just as good.
    Last edited by Virginia Ute; 03-03-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Ute View Post
    Running is definitely my workout method of choice. I was a swimmer in HS and got into running in college because I started doing triathlons. Now that I have a lot less free time, I don't really bike or swim much. It's a whole lot easier to jet strap on the running shoes and head out the door.

As far as trail runners to, I bought a pair of Salomons a few years back that I've loved. They are a good, stable shoe, and they look nice, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-XT-Win.../dp/B0015HZ17E

I guess that That version of the shoe is 2 years old and unavailable, but the current version is probably just as good.
    I don't do any true trail running in the sense that you in Utah do, but I've heard good things about Salomon trail shoes.

If you're looking to buy shoes or other running gear, I suggest runningwarehouse.com. They are almost always the cheapest place on the web, their shipping is super quick (I think two day air is standard) and their customer service has been fantastic. They have silly clearance sales and often you can find discount codes for an extra 10% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    I don't do any true trail running in the sense that you in Utah do, but I've heard good things about Salomon trail shoes.

If you're looking to buy shoes or other running gear, I suggest runningwarehouse.com. They are almost always the cheapest place on the web, their shipping is super quick (I think two day air is standard) and their customer service has been fantastic. They have silly clearance sales and often you can find discount codes for an extra 10% off.
    I've had good luck running trails in Garmont light hiking boots/shoes. They're more of a low-top hiking shoe, but they're lightweight and support my overpronation. For reference, my regular running shoe is an Asics Gel Foundation. So, moderate amount of support required.

Here's what I currently have:
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/garmont/sticky-dragon/

Note the review says it feels more like a running shoe than an approach shoe. Totally agree.
    They are boxy in the toe, for which protection I'm grateful on a rocky trail.

They suck as regular hiking-shoes, though, since they leak sand & water like crazy.

re: The Running Thread

I'm running in my first 10k this month on the 16th. I started running in December of 2011 and have lost 25 lbs since then, it wasn't easy for me when I started but i stuck with it and I'm definitely addicted now. I use an app on my phone called MapMyRun to track all my distances, it helps keep me motivated. As far as shoes go, I just bought my first pair of actual running shoes, the brand is Saucony, they are light weight and comfortable and the price was decent on Amazon (about $65).

Quote Originally Posted by UTE FANatic View Post
    I'm running in my first 10k this month on the 16th. I started running in December of 2011 and have lost 25 lbs since then, it wasn't easy for me when I started but i stuck with it and I'm definitely addicted now. I use an app on my phone called MapMyRun to track all my distances, it helps keep me motivated. As far as shoes go, I just bought my first pair of actual running shoes, the brand is Saucony, they are light weight and comfortable and the price was decent on Amazon (about $65).
    I've been in Sauconys for a couple of years now. I've been very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I've been in Sauconys for a couple of years now. I've been very happy with them.
    I've tried just about every brand you can think of, and I keep coming back to the Kinvara 3s. I think most of the major brands except Nike have something good to offer.

I have been using the Nike Lunarfly for the past couple of years. They also have a Lunarfly Trail running shoe which is lightweight and uber comfortable.

I used to use MapMyRun, but I've switched over to an app called Strava. It maps your runs as you are doing them using the GPS on the phone and gives you distances and pace. Does the MapMyRun app do that now? At the time I switched over it didn't, which is why I switched.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Ute View Post
    I used to use MapMyRun, but I've switched over to an app called Strava. It maps your runs as you are doing them using the GPS on the phone and gives you distances and pace. Does the MapMyRun app do that now? At the time I switched over it didn't, which is why I switched.
    ya thats how MapMyRun is now, it tracks me along my route and drops a little marker each time I run 1k or 1mile (depending on which one I'm tracking). It also has pace stats, calories burned and elevation change stats. At the end of the week they send me an email that lists how many workouts I did that week, and total distance that I ran that week. It's pretty cool, I like it

i am assuming that those of you using mapmyrun are using iphones or droids. do you have a good armband or case that you use with your phone when you run?

i am assuming that those of you using mapmyrun are using iphones or droids. do you have a good armband or case that you use with your phone when you run?
    From what i've seen most bands in the stores are geared towards iPhones or Apple products. I have a HTC One X and have had to get mine off of amazon.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

i just put my headphones under my shirt and hold my iPhone in my hand

Armpocket and Bluetooth earphones (I think mine are Jabra). Thank me later.

i just put my headphones under my shirt and hold my iPhone in my hand
    This is what I do too. At some point I'd like to get around to using a carrier sleeve.

I stopped listening to music while running.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I don't race with it anymore, and if I'm with friends I don't listen to it. Marathons especially can be really chatty and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I listen to podcasts mostly. The Kickass Life is my favorite

I listen to podcasts mostly. The Kickass Life is my favorite
    I used to do podcasts too. Did almost the entire catalog of Mormon Stories this way.

I used to do podcasts too. Did almost the entire catalog of Mormon Stories this way.
    I sometimes will listen to audio lectures to study for tests. It's crazy how many random details I run into on tests that I remember exactly where I was running when I learned it. Something about the increased blood flow and increased adrenaline of a run makes the memory more keen.

Armpocket and Bluetooth earphones (I think mine are Jabra). Thank me later.
    Thanks for the advice. Do you have ear hooks on the Bluetooth? I get a lot of slippage from ear buds but haven't ever had any w the hooks so I'm curious if they work well. The Armpocket looks just right so I ordered one. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have ear hooks on the Bluetooth? I get a lot of slippage from ear buds but haven't ever had any w the hooks so I'm curious if they work well. The Armpocket looks just right so I ordered one. Thanks for the tips.
    For these you can have ear hooks, those funky plastic/rubber outer ear insert things (do you know what I'm talking about?) and rubber earbud type inserts, or you can have all three like I do. I've never had a problem with slippage, and the battery life is at least four hours (I haven't gone longer than that without a recharge - it may be 10 for all I know). Plus they will work as a phone through the Bluetooth - I've had phone calls while running before.

Edit: I have the Jaybird Freedoms. Not Jabra. The reviews on Jabra are mixed. I have loved the Jaybirds.
    Last edited by Pheidippides; 03-11-2013 at 09:05 AM.

For these you can have ear hooks, those funky plastic/rubber outer ear insert things (do you know what I'm talking about?) and rubber earbud type inserts, or you can have all three like I do. I've never had a problem with slippage, and the battery life is at least four hours (I haven't gone longer than that without a recharge - it may be 10 for all I know). Plus they will work as a phone through the Bluetooth - I've had phone calls while running before.

Edit: I have the Jaybird Freedoms. Not Jabra. The reviews on Jabra are mixed. I have loved the Jaybirds.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm going to get the Jaybirds. Looked at them this morning and also getting the arm strap also. Thanks for the advice.

btw - i got the i-25 armpocket to fit my iphone 5. i have had several run/mapping apps on my phone for several years now and finally will start using them.

I've tried just about every brand you can think of, and I keep coming back to the Kinvara 3s. I think most of the major brands except Nike have something good to offer.
    I bought some of these today on the recommendation of a friend and remembering you had mentioned them.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I bought some of these today on the recommendation of a friend and remembering you had mentioned them.
    If you haven't done a lot of low drop or minimalist running before break yourself in slowly. They are a minimalist hybrid type, and if you've been in something like the Asics Kinsei or similar until now you'll need time to adjust.

Canyonlands half marathon today. Finished in 1:57. For not training very much (running weekly at best, longest run in the last 3 months was 7 miles over 3 weeks ago) I was happy with the result. Felt OK at the end, we'll se about tomorrow.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Canyonlands half marathon today. Finished in 1:57. For not training very much (running weekly at best, longest run in the last 3 months was 7 miles over 3 weeks ago) I was happy with the result. Felt OK at the end, we'll se about tomorrow.
    Good job! I ran the Leprechaun Lope 10k this morning, beautiful day for it. It was my first 10k that I have ever signed up for but I had a great time and I'm not too sore. I ran it in just under an hour

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Color me impressed. Well done.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell