Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Running Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Canyonlands half marathon today. Finished in 1:57. For not training very much (running weekly at best, longest run in the last 3 months was 7 miles over 3 weeks ago) I was happy with the result. Felt OK at the end, we'll se about tomorrow.
    My dad ran it too, as did a friend from HS. Sounds like a great race - did you like it (great time btw)?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    If you haven't done a lot of low drop or minimalist running before break yourself in slowly. They are a minimalist hybrid type, and if you've been in something like the Asics Kinsei or similar until now you'll need time to adjust.
    That's good advice. That being said, I just put them on and went when I got some. I didn't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Canyonlands half marathon today. Finished in 1:57. For not training very much (running weekly at best, longest run in the last 3 months was 7 miles over 3 weeks ago) I was happy with the result. Felt OK at the end, we'll se about tomorrow.
    Great time, hostile. Is that the one in Moab? I had a friend run that a few years ago; he said it sells out really quickly every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    My dad ran it too, as did a friend from HS. Sounds like a great race - did you like it (great time btw)?
    From an organization standpoint I think they do a great job. My frame of reference is quite a bit narrower than yours, however. Check-in and race day run pretty smoothly. The course itself isnt too difficult, mostly downhill or flat, following the Colorado river into Moab. The scenery is amazing. This is the second time I have run it and will likely do it again. We had several people from our neighborhood go also. We took our kids and hiked to Delicate Arch after the race. Everyone had a lot of fun.

Great time, hostile. Is that the one in Moab? I had a friend run that a few years ago; he said it sells out really quickly every year.
    Yes. They do 2 half marathons every year. Canyonlands in the spring and The Other Half in the fall. Both fill up quickly but we had 7 couples register for either the 5 mile or half marathon and we all got in.

EDIT: Looks like there is a new race, the Thelma and Louise Half Marathon, in June. Not sure what that course is.
    Last edited by hostile; 03-17-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Can someone point me to a quality source/website to learn form, technique, planning, workouts, etc. for the big-boned, heavy-structured, clysdesdales of running (or more of a stumble mixed with a jog)? TIA
    Last edited by FN Phat; 03-19-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Can someone point me to a quality source/website to learn form, technique, planning, workouts, etc. for the big-boned, heavy-structured, clysdesdales of running (or more of a stumble mixed with a jog)? TIA
    Hey FN, when I started running, I had good success with Galloway's run-walk method.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/Galloways-Book...3982055&sr=1-2

I'm not much of a short-distance runner; I prefer the distance stuff (1/2 to full marathons), so you might look elsewhere if you're looking for a good strategy to run the 5K.
    You probably won't win a lot of distance races with his techniques, but you'll be able to train consistently and maintain a normal life while avoiding injury.

I've modified the program to suit my needs but I still use his basic principles of training and scheduling walk-breaks to "reset" my body during a long-run.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Hey FN, when I started running, I had good success with Galloway's run-walk method.

I'm not much of a short-distance runner; I prefer the distance stuff (1/2 to full marathons), so you might look elsewhere if you're looking for a good strategy to run the 5K.
    You probably won't win a lot of distance races with his techniques, but you'll be able to train consistently and maintain a normal life while avoiding injury.

I've modified the program to suit my needs but I still use his basic principles of training and scheduling walk-breaks to "reset" my body during a long-run.
    Yeah! I've run 3 marathons using the run/walk. For me run a mile walk a minute works well

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

Ooh, good call! I personally don't use it but my wife has in the past. Great program if injury prevention is your goal and you're not looking to break the sound barrier. I'm considering using it for my upcoming race (althemoreso because I tore my calf on Tuesday).

Thank you, Solon. My goal is to just get healthy while losing weight. I can see a 5k in my foreseeable future. Truthfully, a marathon has always been on my bucket list. It isn't something that I could see me looking forward to but I could see myself stumble through one just to say that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Thank you, Solon. My goal is to just get healthy while losing weight. I can see a 5k in my foreseeable future. Truthfully, a marathon has always been on my bucket list. It isn't something that I could see me looking forward to but I could see myself stumble through one just to say that I have.
    I remember thinking this once. About 3 marathons ago...