Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NFL Random Thoughts Thread

The NFL Random Thoughts Thread

So the Seahawks have now had 7 players suspended since 2010 for PED use. And their coach and Executive VP since then has been Pete Carroll. Must be a coincidence.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The Packers upsetting Chicago and making the playoffs isnot good news for anyone else. Aaron Rodgers is the best and he's going to be loose and playing like there's no tomorrow. They feel like they went to hell and back and survived and have a new life. The Packers also have an aura. They won their last Super Bowl under similar conditions as now.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I watched the Panthers/Saints game yesterday. Star Lotulelei is a beast. When he fine-tunes his skills for that level, he's going to be beyond tremendous.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The Packers upsetting Chicago and making the playoffs isnot good news for anyone else. Aaron Rodgers is the best and he's going to be loose and playing like there's no tomorrow. They feel like they went to hell and back and survived and have a new life. The Packers also have an aura. They won their last Super Bowl under similar conditions as now.
    They lost their last Super Bowl to the Broncos... and if they meet there, they will again.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    They lost their last Super Bowl to the Broncos... and if they meet there, they will again.
    They won their last Super Bowl against the Steelers

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    They won their last Super Bowl against the Steelers

Obviously, you are correct... I should have said, the last (and only) Super Bowl they lost, was to the Broncos.
    Last edited by Devildog; 12-31-2013 at 07:20 AM.

KCs defense is falling apart.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    KCs defense is falling apart.

Geez kc defense

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I hope Andy Reid becomes the byu coach someday. Seriously what a dummy.

I hope Andy Reid becomes the byu coach someday. Seriously what a dummy.

How do you call a timeout right after the 2 minute warning?

Seattle punches its ticket to the conference finals by making Brees and Payton look bad for the bulk of the game. Jimmy Graham, who was out jawing with Seahawks defenders in the pregame held to precisely zero catches before the drive after the onsides kick. Gotta back it up, Jimmy.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

My prediction: Patriots, Niners and Broncos win and cover easily.

Also: Has Peyton Manning ever been in a bigger must-win game in his life? And what does Denver do going forward if it loses?

Sealver Silinga started for the Patriots tonight.

If he passed the ball there wouldnt that move the ball back to the line of scrimmageas an incomplete pass?

How do the announcers not know that?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

If he passed the ball there wouldnt that move the ball back to the line of scrimmageas an incomplete pass?

How do the announcers not know that?

Dierdorf is retiring, he may have checked out already.

I love Steve Smith!

Championship Sunday, gonna be awesome!

Silinga vs. Beadles on the line.

Impressive and dominant performance by Denver.

That Sherman character is an idiot. Way to create a distraction after a great play and a great win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

"When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the results you're going to get!" Lol!

Awesome meltdown by Richard Sherman. Wow. And he's got a Stanford degree? Sounds like a nice put-down chant to lay on the Cardinal, whenever they make a dumb play: "Richard Sherman! Richard Sherman!"

That reminded me of the "Quality Improvement" episode on The Office when Michael decides to get out in front of a major screwup, holds a press conference and calls the lone disgruntled customer a "biatch" in front of the press.

I'm going to guess that Stanford won't be using the Sherman footage in any fund raising videos.

So, let me get this straight. A guy gets disrespected by his former coach and by another player he will be matched up against. He then goes out and proves the coach wrong and plays better than the other player. The other player has a chance to talk

trash all game long, but the disrespected player never gets a chance to get the last word in, which his play should allow him to do so.

That player gets the last word on national tv. He didn't swear. He didn't threaten anyone. He didn't say anything politically incorrect. All he did was get some stuff off his chest on tv.

Big deal.

You know what will happen from here on out?

Nothing. He will play the Broncos, and he may win or he may lose. Then he will have a long career, go to Pro Bowls, and maybe end up in the Hall of Fame. Then after he retires, he will do a football studio show on FOX or ESPN.

In 2.5 weeks, no one will even remember this happened.

"Classless (adj.) — term used by fans of losing football team to describe any actions by winning team, coach, fans, or cotton-candy vendors that convey happiness at the outcome of a game."

http://grantland.com/features/holly-ander son-college-football-grantland-dictionary/

Oh, and when Sherman continues to make big bucks off his mouth, Stanford will gladly accept his checks and show HS kids how great they can be as well, if they come to Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    "Classless (adj.) — term used by fans of losing football team to describe any actions by winning team, coach, fans, or cotton-candy vendors that convey happiness at the outcome of a game."

http://grantland.com/features/holly-ander son-college-football-grantland-dictionary/
    You realize that definition fits Utah fan reaction to Max Hall's rant in 2009?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You realize that definition fits Utah fan reaction to Max Hall's rant in 2009?
    Yup. And had Utah won, Hall would have never had the platform to make those comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Yup. And had Utah won, Hall would have never had the platform to make those comments.
    I see what you're saying but there is a way to win with class. Neither Hall nor Sherman did that and I think they embarrassed themselves and their teams.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I see what you're saying but there is a way to win with class. Neither Hall nor Sherman did that and I think they embarrassed themselves and their teams.
    Sherman was worked up into the type of psychological frenzy needed to play the game at the highest level. I'm sure much, much worse has been said on the field than the small glimpse he gave folks on national TV.

But Sherman embarassed his team, embarassed the NFL, certainly embarassed himself - though whether he'll ever recognize or admit that is a mystery, so far - and greatly expanded the population of Broncos fans, at least for the next game. (At least his crazy rant gave cover to the Seattle 12th man idiots who threw food at Navorro Bowman as he was being carted off the field.)

The lead up to the Super Bowl will probably include disproportionate coverage of Richard Sherman, which may be what he was intending, or maybe he just screwed up. Maybe he's trying to match his college coach, Harbaugh, in terms of offering a distraction to shield his teammates from the bright lights.

Having seen him go off in interviews before, I think he's cultivating a Muhammed Ali-type public persona as a means to draw attention to himself, and make himself perform at a higher level, but as a corner, he will inevitably get burned, and will now have enormous numbers of people who will be happy to make sure he knows he was defeated, at least for a play.

The ironic thing in all this is Sherman is very bright, and has a degree in Communications, from Stanford.

It will be interesting to see if he issues an apology, probably as much as anyone, to parents of young athletes everywhere. This would be a great opportunity to explain the level of intensity these guys work themselves into, and take some steps to make the lead up to the Super Bowl to be less about Richard Sherman and more about the Seattle Seahawks.

It's really up to him, at this point.

"I've always found much greater insight into a person's character by how they win, not how they lose. #54F"

https://mobile.twitter.com/johnondra...e=johnondrasik

--Yeats

I hate to say this, but Sherman is going to provoke a lot of people to say something like "you can take the guy out of Compton, but you can't take Compton out of the guy."

My mom went to Compton College, and Lynwood HS - back in the day, granted - and we've seen plenty of student-athletes at Utah originate from Compton, or south-central LA, but I'm now starting to think it's a mistake for people to point out that Sherman made it out of Compton, went to Stanford and made the NFL.

Unless he goes on a PSA tour telling kids it's OK to be intense about sports, but he made a mistake in humiliating his opponent, I think this guy has become a serious PR headache for the league.

Because of this crazed idiot persona Sherman has cultivated and uses to motivate himself, I'm not sure he is the best role-model for kids in Compton - or anywhere else - to emulate.