Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about stadium expansion

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I was told by somebody that Harlan really wants luxury boxes. I am just surprised that we are not increasing capacity by more than that. Hope you are right about end zone luxury suites; that is what it will be.
    I’m not. 55,000 was the top I thought we’d see, but I figured that was not likely.

They’re balancing accessibility with exclusivity.

I just hope they realize they need passionate fans as much as rich ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I was told by somebody that Harlan really wants luxury boxes. I am just surprised that we are not increasing capacity by more than that. Hope you are right about end zone luxury suites; that is what it will be.
    I was told just last weekend that all the consultants in the world (I exaggerate) say that with so much TV available 51,000 is the upper limit without guaranteeing lots of empty seats. FWIW. And yes, according to this person, there will be luxury boxes more attractive than those now above the west side.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Boom

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I hope so too, but I think they are being smart. Football attendance is in decline almost everywhere. It makes no sense to expand by many seats. But luxury boxes will probably find sponsors. There are always rich people and/or corporations to fill those boxes.
    Not always. When the economy goes south those boxes often sit empty.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I hope so too, but I think they are being smart. Football attendance is in decline almost everywhere. It makes no sense to expand by many seats. But luxury boxes will probably find sponsors. There are always rich people and/or corporations to fill those boxes.
    Having worked in Park City for a couple of decades now, I'm always amazed at what people will tolerate or pay for if they believe it is "luxury".

At the U and Jazz games when I've had the opportunity to sit in box seats I've always enjoyed sitting closer with the commoners more.

That's my 2 cents.

Growing up, my uncle was an advertising big wig for RC Willey. Because of that, he'd get lots of kickbacks in the form of tickets to events around the valley. One day he threw a couple suite tickets to my dad and I for a Jazz game. My excitement diminished significantly when I looked around to realize that the catered food was sandwiches. Seeing my disappointment, my dad looked at me and said, "It will never cease to surprise me how much people are willing to spend for mediocre free food."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Having worked in Park City for a couple of decades now, I'm always amazed at what people will tolerate or pay for if they believe it is "luxury".

At the U and Jazz games when I've had the opportunity to sit in box seats I've always enjoyed sitting closer with the commoners more.

That's my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

That's my 2 cents.

I agree. It’s always harder to enjoy the game from one of those boxes. My firm has one at Staples and its really for entertaining clients, not for watching the game — which is pretty much going on in the background.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

There's a hybrid experience now at Jazz games. I don't know what they are officially called but there are now "bunker" suites immediately under the seats along both sidelines. You go into the suite and can have a meal and watch the game or other television on a large screen. The suites come with 12 seats on the sixth and seventh rows at midcourt. It's quite an experience. You can come and go from the seats into the suite. I've attended a couple of games and it's a great mix. Most of the guests I've hosted just prefer to come early, eat a meal and then go out to their seats coming inside the suite quickly at quarter breaks and then for a longer period at halftime to eat/drink. Some have been more social wanting to be in and out.

Anyway, it's a new part of Jazz game day experience that a handful of corporations have bought into.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I agree. It’s always harder to enjoy the game from one of those boxes. My firm has one at Staples and its really for entertaining clients, not for watching the game — which is pretty much going on in the background.
    I attended a game in one of the suites on a Saturday after Xmas, and the NFL playoffs were on the tv. Everybody watched the football games, especially those in fantasy football, and nobody watched the bb game.

Sneak peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    There's a hybrid experience now at Jazz games. I don't know what they are officially called but there are now "bunker" suites immediately under the seats along both sidelines. You go into the suite and can have a meal and watch the game or other television on a large screen. The suites come with 12 seats on the sixth and seventh rows at midcourt. It's quite an experience. You can come and go from the seats into the suite. I've attended a couple of games and it's a great mix. Most of the guests I've hosted just prefer to come early, eat a meal and then go out to their seats coming inside the suite quickly at quarter breaks and then for a longer period at halftime to eat/drink. Some have been more social wanting to be in and out.

Anyway, it's a new part of Jazz game day experience that a handful of corporations have bought into.
    A vendor took me to the Utah/BYU basketball game at BYU a couple of years ago and the experience was similar. We had pretty good seats and a wristband that gave us access to some lounges under the stadium for some pretty nice food and big TVs (and gasp! caffeinated beverages before they were allowed on campus).

That I actually enjoyed. It helped that Utah won that night too. Seems like a smarter, more enjoyable and economic way to handle corporate sponsors and miscellaneous big wigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Sneak peak.

So, I should just plan on watching games on TV from 2021 on. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    So, I should just plan on watching games on TV from 2021 on. Got it.

Why? There will still be plenty of standard seats; in fact, there will be more. They aren't going to convert all of those seats into "luxury" items and still increase the total capacity by 5K.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Why? There will still be plenty of standard seats; in fact, there will be more. They aren't going to convert all of those seats into "luxury" items and still increase the total capacity by 5K.
    Maybe, maybe not....they’ll likely move my 7th row seat much higher and into the corner....and charge more for it.

I haven’t talked to anyone who sits in the south endzone who isn’t concerned about being priced out.

Maybe, maybe not....they’ll likely move my 7th row seat much higher and into the corner....and charge more for it.

I haven’t talked to anyone who sits in the south endzone who isn’t concerned about being priced out.

Yes. That has to be a huge concern. Likely for people in the North as well, albeit to a lesser extent.

Let's talk about stadium expansion

Yes. That has to be a huge concern. Likely for people in the North as well, albeit to a lesser extent.
    Everyone’s season tickets are going to get more expensive. We’re all bracing ourselves — $80 million is a big bill to pay.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-14-2018 at 05:52 AM.

--Yeats

Everyone’s season tickets are going to get more expensive. We’re all bracing ourselves — $80 million is a big bill to pay.
    Especially when they’re projecting only 44% will be covered via donations.

Gulp. Here we go. I don’t see your seats Diehard. 😞

Gulp. Here we go. I don’t see your seats Diehard. 😞

Yup. My good seat is gone.

Looks like the best I could hope for is 30 rows up on a 45 degree angle.

Chances are at the price my family will give up our tickets.

missed opportunity to take the seating to 51,666.

I'm always looking for an opportunity to fortify BYU fans belief that the U is of the devil.

Diehard,
    I've always thought that if they enclose the stadium they'll move students to the south and season ticket holders to where the Muss is now. Any discussion about this?

I guess the answer to my question is a resounding no. Looking at the graphics they're going with a what looks like a higher end experience in the south endzone.

Harlan said in an interview with Bill Riley the bounce house car wash entrance days are numbered

Diehard,
    I've always thought that if they enclose the stadium they'll move students to the south and season ticket holders to where the Muss is now. Any discussion about this?
    That’s not happening

And again, I really didn’t like the idea of trading my endzone view for a seat 5 yards deep in the endzone.

My biggest complaint is the lack of information the U has given to those of us who have been faithful fans for 30+ years. It became obvious when the survey came out last year they really only care about people with $$$$$$$

I guess the answer to my question is a resounding no. Looking at the graphics they're going with a what looks like a higher end experience in the south endzone.
    In the press conference they said that current south end zone ticket holders will have the option to move up and to the corners, which is the same, right?!

I'm disappointed that I don't see any mention of a beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    missed opportunity to take the seating to 51,666.

I'm always looking for an opportunity to fortify BYU fans belief that the U is of the devil.
    Someone on Twitter mentioned that the target number should have been 54,210.

Let's talk about stadium expansion

This is a very nice video:

I don't quite understand the SEZ seating. Looks like special (expensive) extensions right out to the edge of the end zone. The sight lines seem awful on the east and west sides of those extensions, but I'm sure I am not seeing how everything is supposed to work.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-14-2018 at 11:21 AM.

--Yeats

Especially when they’re projecting only 44% will be covered via donations.

I'm hoping we will get Mexico to pay for it.

This is a very nice video:

I don't quite understand the SEZ seating. Looks like special (expensive) extensions right out to the edge of the end zone. The sight lines seem awful on the east and west sides of those extensions, but I'm sure I am not seeing how everything is supposed to work.
    I especially liked the sound track to that video.

And yes it does look weird.

Bring back the Olympic Cauldron.