Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about stadium expansion

Today will be the first non- sellout for several years. Have been trying to sell 2 NEZ tickets for below cost and have had 0 offers. A lot of other tickets on secondary market with no takers. Oh, if you want the tickets, go to flashseats.com and look for N25, R39, 18 and 19 and put in a bid.

UEA. Lots of people are out of town, flooded the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    UEA. Lots of people are out of town, flooded the secondary market.

Utes offering buy one get 1 free for UCLA game.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Utes offering buy one get 1 free for UCLA game.
    Should I buy CU tickets now or wait until the week of? Dilemma.

Where are you seeing this offer?

Quote Originally Posted by noneyadb View Post
    Where are you seeing this offer?
    It was an e-mail to me from the Crimson Club.

I assume most of you received a link asking you to participate on a survey about stadium expansion. In many ways I feel the same about stadium expansion as I do about the growth in my little hamlet of Holladay, which interestingly, also sent a survey about growth and taxes. I don't believe current season ticket holders/tax payers should foot the majority of the bill for future expansion/growth. We have already participated in paying for the current infrastructure. The majority of the costs of expanded infrastructure should be funded by impact fees for building new homes and seat fees for those buying new seats. My residential/game day experience will not improve one bit by additional growth and in fact, may become less enjoyable by having more people around. I know my beliefs are unrealistic since State and local government in Utah is controlled by real estate developers and all ticket purchasers are going to pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I assume most of you received a link asking you to participate on a survey about stadium expansion. In many ways I feel the same about stadium expansion as I do about the growth in my little hamlet of Holladay, which interestingly, also sent a survey about growth and taxes. I don't believe current season ticket holders/tax payers should foot the majority of the bill for future expansion/growth. We have already participated in paying for the current infrastructure. The majority of the costs of expanded infrastructure should be funded by impact fees for building new homes and seat fees for those buying new seats. My residential/game day experience will not improve one bit by additional growth and in fact, may become less enjoyable by having more people around. I know my beliefs are unrealistic since State and local government in Utah is controlled by real estate developers and all ticket purchasers are going to pay the price.
    Anyone who has had to exit through the north concourse after a close game would vehemently agree with you.

After taking the survey I’m a bit concerned.

As a south endzone season ticket holder for 30+ years I feel like the U is trying to eliminate the passionate fan and replace them with a rich fan.

The entire survey was geared to people who could afford fancy stuff.

Sadly I’m worried come 2021 my seat will be gone and I’ll be watching on TV, because my seat was taken away for a restaurant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the passionate fans like Diehard are going to be replaced by more fans who are content to leave in the 3rd quarter when we are down by one TD to a top 20 team.

Goodbye home field advantage, hello overly-expensive tickets.

Hill said we need to raise about 25 million for the stadium, and he wants to get about 20 million taken care of in the next two months before he walks away.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Hill said we need to raise about 25 million for the stadium, and he wants to get about 20 million taken care of in the next two months before he walks away.
    Someone go shake out the couches at the Eccles and Huntsman households.

surveys have all come in, Hill says we'll know capacity and have artist renderings within the next 6 months

https://espn700sports.com/news/chris...ector-4-24-18/

I was just it a meeting where they project that the population of Utah will rise from 3 million today to 5 million by 2030

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I was just it a meeting where they project that the population of Utah will rise from 3 million today to 5 million by 2030
    Primarily St. George or Wasatch Front?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

they didn't specify

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Mostly the wasatch front.

$80M? Sounds cheap. Maybe just a rebuild of the south end zone? It seems low if the intention is to close in the SE and SW corners. Either way, this is a move in the right direction. The SEZ should have been condemned a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Trump tariffs probably made a $65 million dollar project and $80 one

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    $80M? Sounds cheap. Maybe just a rebuild of the south end zone? It seems low if the intention is to close in the SE and SW corners. Either way, this is a move in the right direction. The SEZ should have been condemned a decade ago.
    I was thinking the opposite. My memory was that they had been talking about something in the $35-45M range previously, but I could certainly be wrong. I also don't have a great frame of reference for what $80M buys you in the football stadium renovation market.

At work we just rebuilt a building to upgrade for seismic, and keep the historic brick facade. The total bill is $78M.

I just can't see what $80M gets now. Maybe Utah is cheap for construction costs? I seem to recall the original bid for closing in the SEZ was on the order of $75M, but that was almost 8 years ago now. I would love to have that, and extend to 55k+ seats. But maybe my numbers are way off.

Or maybe I just expect to see huge cost overruns.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    At work we just rebuilt a building to upgrade for seismic, and keep the historic brick facade. The total bill is $78M.

I just can't see what $80M gets now. Maybe Utah is cheap for construction costs? I seem to recall the original bid for closing in the SEZ was on the order of $75M, but that was almost 8 years ago now. I would love to have that, and extend to 55k+ seats. But maybe my numbers are way off.

Or maybe I just expect to see huge cost overruns.
    I think you’re off on your memory

They were saying $50M a few years ago....which is what the entire stadium cost when we rebuilt it

The University just announced a press conference for tomorrow at 10 am MST regarding stadium expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The University just announced a press conference for tomorrow at 10 am MST regarding stadium expansion.

Kragthrope says 51,000 seats, completed in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

I was told construction would start after the 2019 season. One of Harlan’s staff told me the lockers under the SEZ ought to be condemned. Sewage actually leaks through the ceiling and their constantly dealing with that. 😳

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

$80 mil for 4000 seats? I realize that the locker rooms need to be replaced, and Harlan really wants luxury boxes, but still. That seems like a poor ROI. I thought it would be 55-57K. And why would anybody buy a luxury box in an end zone?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    $80 mil for 4000 seats? I realize that the locker rooms need to be replaced, and Harlan really wants luxury boxes, but still. That seems like a poor ROI. I thought it would be 55-57K. And why would anybody buy a luxury box in an end zone?
    Well, it’s probably more like 8,000 seats since you have to completely replace the existing ones as well.

I honestly think Hill was the one pushing the boxes. The survey sent out under his administration was almost entirely about luxury high priced options.

As someone who sits in the south end zone and has for 35 years, I’m concerned I’ll be out of a seat with the expansion as I won’t be able to afford it.

That being said, luxury seating in endzones is popular (and the end zone is a great place to watch a game)

My guess is beyond locker rooms, seating and restrooms there will be infrastructure upgrades (LED lighting for the field, WiFi etc) included along with things for all the food trucks etc. I also would guess the plaza gets a big change

Well, it’s probably more like 8,000 seats since you have to completely replace the existing ones as well.

I honestly think Hill was the one pushing the boxes. The survey sent out under his administration was almost entirely about luxury high priced options.

As someone who sits in the south end zone and has for 35 years, I’m concerned I’ll be out of a seat with the expansion as I won’t be able to afford it.

That being said, luxury seating in endzones is popular (and the end zone is a great place to watch a game)

My guess is beyond locker rooms, seating and restrooms there will be infrastructure upgrades (LED lighting for the field, WiFi etc) included along with things for all the food trucks etc. I also would guess the plaza gets a big change

I was told by somebody that Harlan really wants luxury boxes. I am just surprised that we are not increasing capacity by more than that. Hope you are right about end zone luxury suites; that is what it will be.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-13-2018 at 11:56 AM.