Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about stadium expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You still don't get it.

The stadium expansion will NEVER pay for itself.

Athletics would have to come up with the money, yet they'd never see ticket sales to pay for it. It's just not going to happen. It would require a very large donation campaign (the basketball center is being built because Jon Huntsman is willing to do whatever it takes to get that done)

Some improvements are worth the investment. Such as the restroom expansions, concourse remodel and new video board. Eventually the south end zone will be rebuilt. But that may not include a large size increase, instead it will likely include more luxury seating.

Stanford dropped from 85,000 seats to 50,000.

Cal incurred well over $300,000,000 in debt to rebuild their stadium. Something that's now consuming 20% of their athletic budget.

And if you truly believe the drivel you're spouting about DirecTV you cannot be convinced otherwise so there's really no point to a discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My point that no improvements pay for themselves still stands. So why are you singling out stadium expansion for not paying for itself? It will certainly generate more revenue than the new football center.

Stanford dropped to 50,000 which is still more than we can fit into our stadium. And you have to remember, Stanford was not known as a football school. Harbaugh took them to new places, but that was short lived.

Stanford's new 50,000 seat stadium opened in 2006. The first time they sold it out was in 2008. That is definitely not the school to hold up as an example for how we should run our football program.

Here's an article from 2012 about Stanford's pathetic attendance. They finished 11-2 that year, won the Pac 12 Championship and a Rose Bowl berth, but their average attendance was only 43,343. That was good for 11th in the Pac 12, with Washington State behind them. They hosted the Pac 12 championship game that season and only had an announced attendance of 31,622 for it.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-footb...r-the-program/

We don't want to be like Stanford. We want to be like all those SEC teams that are expanding their stadiums.

I can't figure out what your issue is with what I said about DirecTV. It's a fact that if DirecTV thought enough people wanted to watch a network to make it worth their while to pay for it, then they'd carry that network. If they don't want to carry the Pac 12 network it's because they don't think it's worth it. How is this a controversial statement?
    Last edited by utefan; 05-29-2015 at 06:54 AM.

I just hope that the restroom expansion is part of the recruiting pitch. "Imagine son, your family or friends not missing a minute of the action because of these new bathrooms!"
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One small thing in the back of my mind is that we need to really establish ourselves as one of the more valuable western assets. The P12 (and our place therein) seems pretty stable right now, but who knows what will happen in the next 10, 20, or 30 years (especially with the rapidly changing media landscape). We'll never be as valuable as the California properties, Washington, or (probably) Oregon, but we need to establish that, in the college sports landscape, we're more important and valuable than Wazzu, OSU, and Arizona, and on par or close to on par with Colorado and ASU. It would also be nice to definitively establish ourselves as the premiere program in the state. We're certainly well on our way there, but we need to really bury BYU so that if the college athletics landscape gets turned on its head there's no way anyone could possibly BYU as an equal option to the U.

Does stadium expansion have anything to do with this? Maybe a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    One small thing in the back of my mind is that we need to really establish ourselves as one of the more valuable western assets. The P12 (and our place therein) seems pretty stable right now, but who knows what will happen in the next 10, 20, or 30 years (especially with the rapidly changing media landscape). We'll never be as valuable as the California properties, Washington, or (probably) Oregon, but we need to establish that, in the college sports landscape, we're more important and valuable than Wazzu, OSU, and Arizona, and on par or close to on par with Colorado and ASU. It would also be nice to definitively establish ourselves as the premiere program in the state. We're certainly well on our way there, but we need to really bury BYU so that if the college athletics landscape gets turned on its head there's no way anyone could possibly BYU as an equal option to the U.

I agree, and I think we will end up at over 50,000 seats, which ought to be enough to be at the level you describe.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The SEZ must get rebuilt. That is mandatory and has to be in the near term.

The question is how much more would it cost to close in the corners as part of that renovation. They could even extend out into the South Plaza somewhat to give a nice open space for restrooms, food, shops, etc.

The Walk of Fame (whatever it was called) at Michigan Stadium was very nice, and honestly it was little more than a covered, open-ended, steel lean-to buttressed into the stadium that housed food, restrooms, trophies, etc . The U could open things up a bit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post

The question is how much more would it cost to close in the corners as part of that renovation. They could even extend out into the South Plaza somewhat to give a nice open space for restrooms, food, shops, etc.

The Walk of Fame (whatever it was called) at Michigan Stadium was very nice, and honestly it was little more than a covered, open-ended, steel lean-to buttressed into the stadium that housed food, restrooms, trophies, etc . The U could open things up a bit like that.
    That's the reason the new scoreboard was delayed a year. They needed to ensure it was placed right so it would not have to be moved when the south end zone project is started.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post

Do we have a hall of fame? Or is that stuff just all basically in the football facility?

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The thing at Michigan just had pictures of Tom Brady, Charles Woodson, Bo Schembechler, and other players and coaches, with blurbs about special seasons. It was very nice, especially in the downpour as 4 inches of rain fell on us.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Do we have a hall of fame? Or is that stuff just all basically in the football facility?
    I have yet to check out the football facility, but the pictures and videos I've seen have shown a historical part to it with names, faces, and helmets of players that have gone onto the NFL as well as the bowl trophy case.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    no, instead we have the Deseret Duel

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    no, instead we have the Deseret Duel
    The hall of fame is at the football center. Just as basketballs will be at the new basketball facility.

Part of the reason for that is the lack of control athletics has at the competition sites. People are always in and out of RES, it would be a bad place to keep anything of value.

To be clear, Michigan Stadium didn't have any trophies or helmets or valuable memorabilia on display. They just had printed metal posters on the wall. I will try to find some pics. I only saw it during the downpour, so I probably didn't pull out the camera.

Can anybody tell me which rows are under the overhang in Rice-Eccles?

From my eye reading the .pdf chart it appears rows 58-63 but kinda hard to tell.
    Last edited by mUUser; 06-15-2015 at 09:34 AM.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Can anybody tell me which rows are under the overhang in Rice-Eccles?

From my eye reading the .pdf chart it appears rows 58-63 but kinda hard to tell.
    Those are the most sought-after seats on the West Side. Not easy to get unless you have the right parents or grandparents!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Spot on. I think complete BYU irrelevance pays a lot of dividends for us. In the off chance a future round of realignment results in big shifts like a B1G-PAC merger, I hope our athletics and more important, our academics make our inclusion a no brainer.

It was either here or the new uniforms thread. Football office releases the design for the new turf. Now with the field house, it will say Utah Utes in the north.

Ute field.jpg

PS. My original reaction is that I don't love it, but will withhold final judgement until I see the real thing.

I dig it.

C. Hill acknowledging the South End Zone problem.

http://fox13now.com/2015/09/27/u-of-...rsitys-sports/

I doubt we'll ever see more than 50,000 seat + change in RES.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    C. Hill acknowledging the South End Zone problem.

http://fox13now.com/2015/09/27/u-of-...rsitys-sports/

I doubt we'll ever see more than 50,000 seat + change in RES.
    We should have a stadium at least as big as Autzen. If a small town like Eugene can draw 57,000 to 59,000 every week, we shouldn't settle for anything less.

65,000 sounds about right. Seal off the south end zone and make the top level with the east and west sides. Then raise the top of the north end zone so it's also level with the east and west sides.

The result would be a nice looking bowl. It'd be super loud because it's sealed with the seats pretty close to the field. And it'd be super awesome looking as a perfectly symmetrical bowl.

I don't know what the capacity would be if they did this, but I would guess it'd be between 60,000 and 65,000.

It wouldn't be free, but nothing else is free either. Even that new turf going in right now costs money. And that new turf doesn't add extra seats to sell or bring in extra fans to buy more over priced stadium food.

That's my pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    We should have a stadium at least as big as Autzen. If a small town like Eugene can draw 57,000 to 59,000 every week, we shouldn't settle for anything less.

65,000 sounds about right. Seal off the south end zone and make the top level with the east and west sides. Then raise the top of the north end zone so it's also level with the east and west sides.

The result would be a nice looking bowl. It'd be super loud because it's sealed with the seats pretty close to the field. And it'd be super awesome looking as a perfectly symmetrical bowl.

I don't know what the capacity would be if they did this, but I would guess it'd be between 60,000 and 65,000.

It wouldn't be free, but nothing else is free either. Even that new turf going in right now costs money. And that new turf doesn't add extra seats to sell or bring in extra fans to buy more over priced stadium food.

That's my pipe dream.

I think the best way to get to 65,000 would be to add enormous end zones.

The worst thing about byu's stadium is that so many seats are in the end zones.

Keep RES weird. I personally think they should reduce the size and eliminate some bathrooms and add luxury suites above the NEZ that are just high enough above the existing that people sitting there have to bow their heads just a bit.

Keep your hands off of the NEZ. We need to keep that awesome paint job on the Field House visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Keep RES weird. I personally think they should reduce the size and eliminate some bathrooms and add luxury suites above the NEZ that are just high enough above the existing that people sitting there have to bow their heads just a bit.
    Make the SEZ enormous. Put 20,000 fans in there. Then put a giant scoreboard up above the SEZ so the 3,000 fans in the NEZ can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The worst thing about byu's stadium is that so many seats are in the end zones.

That was the joke. Apparently my humor is too subtle. Or possibly just not funny.

That was the joke. Apparently my humor is too subtle. Or possibly just not funny.
    Luckily both! On a side note, good recommendation on Chronic Tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That's on the list, but the worst thing about byu's stadium is that it's full of byu fans.
    This reminds me of a favorite story of mine. It has the added benefit of being true:

When my oldest son was just getting potty-trained we'd wave goodbye to his poop as he flushed and say, "See you in Provo!"

One day we were coming back from a trip in Moab and had just entered into the Provo area on the freeway. My sleeping son awoke and asked, "Where are we?" I said, "Provo." This was received with apparent stunned silence. After a minute he said, "This is where my poops go?!"
    "Yup."
    More silence.
    "Where are they?"
    "You see that big Y on the hill? They are in a giant bowl underneath it called Lavell Edwards Stadium." Satisfied with my answer he sat quietly looking at the mountains.
    I look over to see my wife (who grew up watching BYU football) rolling her eyes.
    "What?!! You've been there. Have you ever seen a larger collection of turds in your life?"
    "How long have you been waiting to say that?"
    "My whole life..."
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 09-29-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Don't expand the stadium until we've had at least a couple of down years and still filled it. recent 4-8 years don't count, as the P12 inclusion afterglow was still in effect.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Then we'll be waiting a long, long time.��
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Don't expand the stadium until we've had at least a couple of down years and still filled it. recent 4-8 years don't count, as the P12 inclusion afterglow was still in effect.
    Agreed. Nothing worse than an empty stadium.