Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Cougar Boards: Utah invites BYU to its house, Dec. 14, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Have we now started censoring the word asshole?

Jeez... you can't run a decent sports forum without a basic standard word like that.

Easy, LA... easy
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    he's rude to LAute and seems to think LAUte is a bad guy. No reasonable person can see things that way. He's an asshole.
    I mean his criticism of me.

I doubt jl thinks LA is a bad guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post

We all do. It's part of his charm.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    We all do. It's part of his charm.
    Stop revealing board secrets.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm holding on to this a tad longer than I need to and I recognize this, but what value is Lebowski bringing to this board? Do we enjoy his snide comments? Does he bring insight into Utah sports?

Give me something and I will drop the topic.

I'm holding on to this a tad longer than I need to and I recognize this, but what value is Lebowski bringing to this board? Do we enjoy his snide comments? Does he bring insight into Utah sports?

He can explain himself but my guess is that El Duderino is playing a little game of tit-for-tat with SU, who has for years been a very effective gadfly on Jeff's board.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That's really funny. If you want to try a religion analogy, it would be like someone who abandoned their faith and joined Scientology because they thought Tom Cruise was cute.

Believe me, I would have the same lack of respect for a Ute fan that became a BYU fan after a loss. Shameless.
    LOL. this is a pretty good analogy, although I'll have to check Viking's operating thetan level.

I prefer to think of it as coming home, though, since the U. is older than the byu.
    Viking is just returning to the seat of Original Truth, a Truth that was taken to Provo and corrupted through the philosophies of scheming & unscrupulous men.
    This widespread Apostasy continues to grip large swathes of the state of Utah. But the work goes on.

It's good to have a dissenting voice. Otherwise, we'd just be sitting around telling each other how great we are.
    I like Lebowski. He pokes but doesn't make trouble.
    If it's not your thing, just ignore him. Or run him outta here with the sharp sting of your written words.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Jeff, you are a*****e.
    Awesome?

Why yes. Yes, I am.

you have me all wrong. But, I understand why. I let trading desk shared logins get out of control (oh, I had my fair share of that bad language, for sure.) for far too long (started on CB in 2002). While Princeton boy played a great foil to end Viking there once and for all, it was not as you characterized. Just a calculated way to get Viking off there once and for all. Glad that's ended. This is the first time I've not shared a login since 2002 and I really enjoy it here. LAUte sets a great tone here and he's a gem of a guy.
    I have to admit, that "shared login" thing is the most creative of all the various excuses you have offered over the years. Think anybody will buy it?

I have to admit, that "shared login" thing is the most creative of all the various excuses you have offered over the years. Think anybody will buy it?
    Do we have a "therapy for behavior on other boards" thread?
    If so, perhaps you guys could work it out over there.

Maybe try this thread to continue this discussion.

TIA.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    It's good to have a dissenting voice. Otherwise, we'd just be sitting around telling each other how great we are.
    I like Lebowski. He pokes but doesn't make trouble.
    If it's not your thing, just ignore him. Or run him outta here with the sharp sting of your written words.
    This.

A rule of thumb: The minute I ask myself why I got upset over something typed on a message board is also the moment that I realized that I just got played. trash-talk is a part of sports and rivalries are the best part of college sports. For some this back and forth is the whole purpose of sports message boards.

Really? I thought for SURE you'd be able to see the multiple IP addresses of logins...one would come from NY, another UT and another south of the border...many times in the same day. This is why I would periodically ask for you to kill the account...I just assumed the multiple logins would end up doing it but alas...

I absolutely own up to some of the nonsense...but certainly not all! The black card debacle was Princeton boy typing from my desk (well...our desk...we sit on a trading desk). That was obnoxious and I got pretty pissed when it was clear whoever the other poster had some serious issues. Being hyper defensive of a family member was always me. The B12 stuff was 100% me. Rush? All me. I honestly think my posting history there per day is about what it has been here, except for the pretty heavy volume of posting during the B12 excitement. I just don't have a lot of time and while I don't think anyone knows me personally over there, I'm a pretty mellow guy in life and online.
    Last edited by Viking; 12-17-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Wasn't this thread about how a much improved, fairly athletic Ute team dominated a slow, defenseless BYU team? What's with the cat fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Crimson View Post
    Wasn't this thread about how a much improved, fairly athletic Ute team dominated a slow, defenseless BYU team? What's with the cat fight?
    Yes, this game is over. Let's take general BYU discussion back to the BYU thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    This.

A rule of thumb: The minute I ask myself why I got upset over something typed on a message board is also the moment that I realized that I just got played. trash-talk is a part of sports and rivalries are the best part of college sports. For some this back and forth is the whole purpose of sports message boards.
    Not upset. That's my normal language. Dissenting voice. Fair enough, I guess he adds some sort of value. I'll drop the subject

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yes, this game is over. Let's take general BYU discussion back to the BYU thread.
    I'm not done with this thread yet. Anything that keeps alive the memory of the 2013 Humbling at the Huntsman is ok in my book.

Question for long time utes and recent converts: does the euphoria from beating the cougars differ between basketball and football? Personally, beating them in hoops feels very satisfying, but expected-football wins still have an extra novelty for me. That's probably a product of coming of age during the majerus/mafu years.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That's probably a product of coming of age during the majerus/mafu years.
    It's definitely a product of that; I feel exactly the same.

I remember being surprised to see what the overall series record was as I had become so used to hoop dominance.
    Last edited by Homer Crimson; 12-17-2013 at 01:58 PM.

I caught the last 2 minutes of the Coogs v Ducks. Hapless. Carlino singlehandedly lost that game for them. There was a break with 1:15 to go, with BYU up by 2 and Carlino pushed the ball up court, drove straight into 2 defenders at the rim, attempted a low probability lay up, got blocked, Oregon turns the other way, ultimately makes a layup and ties the game.

Carlino is really one of the least intelligent ball players I've ever seen down the stretch. His decision making is really awful. Rose shares some blame as he has to get into Carlino's grill and tell him to stop forcing and to quit playing stupid.

Between the missed free throws at 1:15 and Carlino's stupid drive, precisely five seconds expired. That's simply incredible. Playing for a great shot and taking the clock down another 30 seconds may have been the difference in this game.

BYU should be a tourney team, but it is not…

Meanwhile, Utah is 10-1 and I think is going to be a 8-10 seed in the Dance.
    Last edited by Viking; 12-22-2013 at 08:19 AM.

I caught the last 2 minutes of the Coogs v Ducks. Hapless. Carlino singlehandedly lost that game for them. There was a break with 1:15 to go, with BYU up by 2 and Carlino pushed the ball up court, drove straight into 2 defenders at the rim, attempted a low probability lay up, got blocked, Oregon turns the other way, ultimately makes a layup and ties the game.

Carlino is really one of the least intelligent ball players I've ever seen down the stretch. His decision making is really awful. Rose shares some blame as he has to get into Carlino's grill and tell him to stop forcing and to quit playing stupid.

Between the missed free throws at 1:15 and Carlino's stupid drive, precisely five seconds expired. That's simply incredible. Playing for a great shot and taking the clock down another 30 seconds may have been the difference in this game.

BYU should be a tourney team, but it is not…

Meanwhile, Utah is 10-1 and I think is going to be a 8-10 seed in the Dance.
    LOL. That is priceless. I missed the end of the game. I thought BYU was going to win that game.

This is sort of a win/win for the Utes: had BYU won, then our win over them would look even better from a non-conference RPI standpoint. But they didn't, and now I don't have I hear how the Utes victory over BYU was some aberration like our win over Stanford in football (you just know there are fans that would equate those teams).

LOL. That is priceless. I missed the end of the game. I thought BYU was going to win that game.

This is sort of a win/win for the Utes: had BYU won, then our win over them would look even better from a non-conference RPI standpoint. But they didn't, and now I don't have I hear how the Utes victory over BYU was some aberration like our win over Stanford in football (you just know there are fans that would equate those teams).
    It also means that Oregon will come to the Huntsman Center highly ranked and undefeated on Jan 2.

BYU gets blown out by LMU. Nice.

epic meltdown going on in provo. what is the cause?

epic meltdown going on in provo. what is the cause?
    Undisciplined play?

Undisciplined play?
    there is something systematic going wrong

i like dave rose. i hope he figures this out

there is something systematic going wrong

i like dave rose. i hope he figures this out
    He doesn't have the shooters to fit his offense this year. and they really lack a threat down low. while mika is a tough athletic kid. his offensive game lacks. but could still develop. but hey have no low post threat to run through and they have no outside shooters. and carlino is a cougar killer this year.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    He doesn't have the shooters to fit his offense this year. and they really lack a threat down low. while mika is a tough athletic kid. his offensive game lacks. but could still develop. but hey have no low post threat to run through and they have no outside shooters. and carlino is a cougar killer this year.
    I think Mika is actually pretty good or a freshman. He had more moves than most of out low post guys and showed some toughness. He just needs to mature a bit (which a mission will be extremely helpful with). I think he will be a major thorn in he future. We need to make sure he gets a girlfriend or something once he gets back.

I think Mika is actually pretty good or a freshman. He had more moves than most of out low post guys and showed some toughness. He just needs to mature a bit (which a mission will be extremely helpful with). I think he will be a major thorn in he future. We need to make sure he gets a girlfriend or something once he gets back.
    Mika is a very good player for a freshmen. He is the least of BYU's problems. Losing Davies down low has clearly hurt them but I think Carlino's erratic play, coupled with selfish team play and a complete lack of commitment on the defensive end are the glaring issues. Of course, that is Rose's preferred style so their inability to adjust and play tough defense is as much on the coaching staff as anyone.

I also think the Utah game destroyed their inflated self confidence. Before that game and even the next game at Oregon, BYU looked like a top 25 caliber team. Since blowing the Oregon game a few weeks back, their psyche seems to have been destroyed. We will see if Rose can right the ship. His cancer recurrence over the summer may have shaken him up so he may not be as focused this year as maybe he has been in the past (if this is the case, it would be understandable).

don't get me wrong mika has a bright future. and he has some nice moves. but at this point he is not someone you can run your offense through. especially because he is in foul trouble all the time. davies could bail them out in the half court offense. mika has not shown that ability consistantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Oh... and Kodiak is going to blow his timeouts for no good reason again. Anyone notice last night how he called a timeout 20 seconds before the media timeout? This has got to stop. Put an assistant on it to approve whether we can have a timeout or not.
    It seems that since the conference play has begun, the Utes have been better at using their timeouts.

I'm wondering if K was just treating the pre-season for what it really was: extended scrimmages.