Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Sac State HC would be a substantial pay cut, while being in a more expensive location. But TT has taken lower-paying jobs before to enhance his career (he basically took a 50% drop in pay to leave his job at high school to be the OC at EWU).

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That was to get into the college game. I think that's different. He's in now. Presumably, his goal is HC at a DI or P5. I think the path to that goal is much longer and far less likely through Sac State than through Utah.

He may see it very differently, of course.
    Somebody just tweeted that FCS head coaching jobs are a stepping stone to a P-5 coordinator position, not the other way around. That's why coaches take them. But who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Somebody just tweeted that FCS head coaching jobs are a stepping stone to a P-5 coordinator position, not the other way around. That's why coaches take them. But who knows.
    We scored 3 points in our last game. Let's leave open the idea that maybe Troy isn't a hot commodity, and that the success we saw on offense this year wasn't all about him.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is doing jumping jacks over Taylor. It won't be the end of the world if he leaves for Sac State. But it would be another turn through the carousel, which we really could do without.

Still, this season was statistically our best offensive season in a long time, right?
    Nope. Last year's was noticeably better, both in scoring and total offense. 52nd in both last year, 68th and 69th this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Nope. Last year's was noticeably better, both in scoring and total offense. 52nd in both last year, 68th and 69th this year.
    How did we rank before the Arizona State game, when Huntley went down?

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    And Moss immediately thereafter

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    We lost our starting QB for stretches in both seasons, and had two stinker games of offense when Huntley came back last year. There are enough bad breaks in both years where we can't cherry-pick points in the season.

We lost our starting QB for stretches in both seasons, and had two stinker games of offense when Huntley came back last year. There are enough bad breaks in both years where we can't cherry-pick points in the season.
    TT's big mistake last year was bringing back huntley at least 2 games too early, esp. UO. Should have stuck with Troy Williams after USC. Big error in judgment, imho

Reports now starting to flow that Taylor accepted the Sac State job.

Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.
    the timing two days before LOI day could not be worse

Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.
    Those that are surprised at this have forgotten who our HC is, that Troy is not part of Kyle's inner circle and that our offense wasn't very good in long stretches this year, especially against the top teams in the league, against whom we averaged about 11 PPG. There was no improvement from Tyler, and the first half of the BYU game was atrocious. I'm kinda lost where people are getting the idea that Troy's job wasn't in jeopardy, and that he wasn't getting encouragement to look elsewhere.

Onlyu's take. Interesting the TT can put up big numbers in the Big Sky but not here:

While I’m surprised based on the money you guys pointed out last week I’m not at all surprised he took a head job. He has a tough time being told what to do and if you ever had the chance to listen to him on the headset during a game it would be better than watching the game itself. One exchange this year had Holliday respond with…”I’m not your son Troy, don’t tell me what to do.”TT randomly asked Lisk a few weeks back if he “had a Big Sky connection would you be interested in putting up some big numbers in that league.” Drew thought it was weird until he and Snoop were laughing about it last week when they heard he was thinking about the job.I heard a coach say “let’s hope so” semi-joking about the news last week. While it hurts offensive continuity we have a lot of experience coming back that will help with any transition. Not optimal of course but I’d rather change when you have a couple of QB’s that have experience vs. throwing a new kid in. We’ll be fine.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-17-2018 at 10:26 AM.

I've given up hoping for anything about the offense. Kyleball will continue no matter what and I will just watch and cheer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'd assume that Harding ends up getting promoted or do with look outside the program? I'd honestly be fine with that at this point. It isn't like Troy Taylor has been that impressive. He was supposed to be a QB guru and it isn't like our QBs have improved.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I'd assume that Harding ends up getting promoted or do with look outside the program? I'd honestly be fine with that at this point. It isn't like Troy Taylor has been that impressive. He was supposed to be a QB guru and it isn't like our QBs have improved.
    You gotta make a call to Brian Johnson first, Mike McCoy second. It's coaching malpractice on Kyle's part if you don't.

You gotta make a call to Brian Johnson first, Mike McCoy second. It's coaching malpractice on Kyle's part if you don't.
    Sure you make those calls, but I think we know that answer will be no on both.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Sure you make those calls, but I think we know that answer will be no on both.
    Would we really get a no from Brian? It would be a fast track to him stepping in for Kyle when he retires in the next 5-7 years.

As for Mike, he's in desperate need of a soft landing spot. Who's gonna hire him in the NFL right now? If he's ever gonna coach CFB, now's the time to strike.

As for Mike, he's in desperate need of a soft landing spot. Who's gonna hire him in the NFL right now? If he's ever gonna coach CFB, now's the time to strike.
    I don't think there's anything in Kyle's history suggesting that he'd hire a former NFL head coach to run his offense.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't think there's anything in Kyle's history suggesting that he'd hire a former NFL head coach to run his offense.
    You mean like Dennis Erickson?

I iwll bet Harding gets promoted. There is a lot of scuttlebutt that the offense improved when Harding stepped in Harding stepped in after Norther Illinois and the offense became more run-game oriented.

You mean like Dennis Erickson?
    Touche. I do see that as a different situation, since Erickson really made his name as a college coach. Also, from what I've heard I'm not sure how happy that relationship was.

--Yeats

I iwll bet Harding gets promoted. There is a lot of scuttlebutt that the offense improved when Harding stepped in Harding stepped in after Norther Illinois and the offense became more run-game oriented.
    That's my guess too. Harding is part of the "family" now.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Touche. I do see that as a different situation, since Erickson really made his name as a college coach. Also, from what I've heard I'm not sure how happy that relationship was.
    I've heard this about Chow and Christensen. This is the first I've heard it with Erickson. But, as you and I like to say, what's the common denominator in all of this? Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.

I've heard this about Chow and Christensen. This is the first I've heard it with Erickson. But, as you and I like to say, what's the common denominator in all of this? Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.
    If that were the case I doubt Erickson would have stuck around as long as he did.

I’ve always heard Erickson just didn’t want to be the OC, that was never his desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.

Then why has Scalley stuck around? All the defensive coaches? Why did Anderson come back? Why does Kalani love him?

I think if you want Harding to stick around, you need to promote him. He's paid his dues, and is a decent recruiter and you don't need to change the offense. Then bring in a QB coach who's a solid recruiter.

The OCs at Utah in the Pac-12:

Chow 2011
    Johnson 2012
    Johnson/Erickson 2013
    Christensen 2014
    ARod/Harding 2015-16
    Troy Taylor 2017-18

I'm not sure what you mean by "family". I feel like you mean it negatively. On this list, only Johnson went to Utah. Johnson, ARod, and Harding were internal promotions. The other four were outsiders.
    I really am at peace with Kyle as HC. (Even if I were not, it is OK to criticize a coach.) I am just doing some informed speculation based on what we have seen. What I meant is that Kyle likes to hire assistants with whom he has a personal connection. Nothing wrong with that; when I want to hire lawyers I am drawn to candidates I already know. Hiring mistakes are costly in multiple ways. I think all of the coaches you list fall into that personal connection category, some more proximately than others. I'd be surprised if Kyle hired someone like McCoy, unless he already knows him well (like Chow, A-Rod, Johnson, Erickson) or someone close to Kyle knows him well (like Christensen, Taylor). Kyle is by nature very cautious and conservative. That's a two-edged sword -- it's part of why he has been successful and also part of what sometimes holds him back, in the view of some fans.

--Yeats

The questions Kyle needs to answer about the OC hire are:

Are we staying with a spread/RPO passing game with a QB who can run mixed with a power run game or are we going to change to a pro-style offense? I assume the answer is the former, but I really don't know. I hope we stay with the current system because part of our offensive problems can be attributed to changing styles.

Does Harding have a grasp of the current passing game (other than pass protection) that would allow him to be successful as OC? If not, does Holiday and could they be successful as Co-OC's (I hate the idea)?

Can we hire someone with more experience to come in and be the OC. I would look at Yost, Mike Sanford Jr. and Brian Johnson. I am sure there are others out there who fit the bill. Brian was not very successful his first stint as OC at Utah, but I think that was a combo of his inexperience and a general lack of offensive talent. I did not follow what he did as OC at Houston, but I don't believe he was fired.

Ty Freaking Detmer!

Then why has Scalley stuck around? All the defensive coaches? Why did Anderson come back? Why does Kalani love him?
    Clearly, I forgot to put in a qualifier that should be obvious to everyone. Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for if you're a coach on the offensive side of the ball.