Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Nope. Last year's was noticeably better, both in scoring and total offense. 52nd in both last year, 68th and 69th this year.
    How did we rank before the Arizona State game, when Huntley went down?

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    And Moss immediately thereafter

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    We lost our starting QB for stretches in both seasons, and had two stinker games of offense when Huntley came back last year. There are enough bad breaks in both years where we can't cherry-pick points in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We lost our starting QB for stretches in both seasons, and had two stinker games of offense when Huntley came back last year. There are enough bad breaks in both years where we can't cherry-pick points in the season.
    TT's big mistake last year was bringing back huntley at least 2 games too early, esp. UO. Should have stuck with Troy Williams after USC. Big error in judgment, imho

Reports now starting to flow that Taylor accepted the Sac State job.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.
    the timing two days before LOI day could not be worse

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.
    Those that are surprised at this have forgotten who our HC is, that Troy is not part of Kyle's inner circle and that our offense wasn't very good in long stretches this year, especially against the top teams in the league, against whom we averaged about 11 PPG. There was no improvement from Tyler, and the first half of the BYU game was atrocious. I'm kinda lost where people are getting the idea that Troy's job wasn't in jeopardy, and that he wasn't getting encouragement to look elsewhere.

Onlyu's take. Interesting the TT can put up big numbers in the Big Sky but not here:

While I’m surprised based on the money you guys pointed out last week I’m not at all surprised he took a head job. He has a tough time being told what to do and if you ever had the chance to listen to him on the headset during a game it would be better than watching the game itself. One exchange this year had Holliday respond with…”I’m not your son Troy, don’t tell me what to do.”TT randomly asked Lisk a few weeks back if he “had a Big Sky connection would you be interested in putting up some big numbers in that league.” Drew thought it was weird until he and Snoop were laughing about it last week when they heard he was thinking about the job.I heard a coach say “let’s hope so” semi-joking about the news last week. While it hurts offensive continuity we have a lot of experience coming back that will help with any transition. Not optimal of course but I’d rather change when you have a couple of QB’s that have experience vs. throwing a new kid in. We’ll be fine.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-17-2018 at 10:26 AM.

I'd assume that Harding ends up getting promoted or do with look outside the program? I'd honestly be fine with that at this point. It isn't like Troy Taylor has been that impressive. He was supposed to be a QB guru and it isn't like our QBs have improved.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com