Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

It seems odd to me that Todd Graham was let go or was it fired, but he will still coach Az St in their bowl game.?

I guess it will get his full attention, but I am not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I don't always like or agree with Jon Wilner, but this article is excellent.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/0...he-right-play/
    Winner generally has good insight and is unafraid to state an opinion. His takes are usually entertaining.

What, are we the patsy on their schedule? We don't make their schedule difficult?

First, a language police moment for me: He said, "Credit Arizona State for trying a different tact." Doesn't he have an editor? https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/25/ta...ifferent-tact/ Next he''l be saying ASU should of handled this differently.

Second, I thought this was interesting:

I do have serious questions about the model itself, with Edwards as a CEO responsible for vision and leadership and motivation … and not for much hands-on coaching.
    The Sun Devils have two solid coordinators in Billy Napier and Phil Bennett, but Anderson seems to be devaluing the role of the head coach when it comes to, you know, coaching.
    (Maybe that’s the ex-NFL executive in him.)

On that topic:

* When was the last time a team won the Pac-12 with a hands-off head coach? I’ll give you a few minutes, because you’ll need it …

Think Pete Carroll was hands off with the USC defense? Think Chip Kelly was hands off with the Oregon offense? Think David Shaw is hands off with Stanford?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

lavell was always said to be hands-off, CEO type HC, so maybe it will work. But if it does, you are going rotate thru a lot of coordinators, because they are going to get the credit. And you are putting your fate in their hands, for better or worse.

More PAC-12 dramms... Willie Taggart is leaving Eugene for Florida State.

And word is there are shakeups coming at Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    More PAC-12 dramms... Willie Taggart is leaving Eugene for Florida State.
    I saw something on the Twitter that he's trying to get Jim Levitt to come with him as well. Please yes.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I saw something on the Twitter that he's trying to get Jim Levitt to come with him as well. Please yes.
    That would be great. I am sure Colorado wants him back, but let's get him out of the Conference.

Rice to steal Stanford's Offensive ​coordinator. Not sure what they've been watching for the past 5 years. How does Stanford's OC get hired before their DC?

Pac-12 losing another coach. And it isn't Taggart. Yet.

Will this be a year of no changes to utah’s Coaching staff? Not sure we have anyone proven enough to be sought after, and I don’t think anyone underperformed enough to be let go. Could Harding get a coordinator offer somewhere?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Will this be a year of no changes to utah’s Coaching staff? Not sure we have anyone proven enough to be sought after, and I don’t think anyone underperformed enough to be let go. Could Harding get a coordinator offer somewhere?
    We get to add another coach this year, so that will be a change. But hopefully nobody leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Rice to steal Stanford's Offensive ​coordinator. Not sure what they've been watching for the past 5 years. How does Stanford's OC get hired before their DC?
    Rice's academic standing is similar to Stanford. Maybe they think the answer to creating a winner at Rice is emulating what is done at Stanford. Not the worst reasoning for hiring a particular coach. While Stanford's offense is not flashy, it is consistent and gives some protection to the defense. If I am hiring a HC today, I am going with a guy who has a strong offensive as opposed to defensive background.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I think Harding did a great job last year and probably did a very good job this year. It is my understanding that because he spent so many years with Christensen, his overall offensive knowledge is limited. He is a very good OL coach, but probably not ready to move up to OC. I know he was co-OC at Utah, but I don't think that is a feather in his cap.

Colorado's co-OC and Arizona's offensive line coach both headed to the north division.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 12-05-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Taggart officially headed home to FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Woo-hoo! Now, how does one start a Chip Kelly to Oregon rumor on the internets?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    And taking Jim Leavitt with him, as well.

Some Oregon names.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/0...ching-vacancy/

I hope Oregon is not good, so I hope they hire someone other than Harsin. He's the best name on that list.

I think they should look at Fuentes at VaTech and Norvell and Memphis.

Edit: changed my mind, Campbell is the one I'm most afraid of.
    Last edited by sancho; 12-05-2017 at 04:53 PM.

This is interesting. Mark Richt at Miami it's the longest longest-tenured FBS coach in Florida. He was hired just before the 2016 season.

Mike riley going back to corvallis as asst. head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Mike riley going back to corvallis as asst. head coach.
    Damn it! He is the best OSU could have hoped for!

Oregon promoting Cristobal?

Attached Images Attached Images

Oregon promoting Cristobal?
    I hope so. He's less scary than most names on their list. The ole' promote from within. Oregon tried that last time around, and it failed.

Thing is, whoever gets the job is set up to succeed. Herbert is great, and the recruiting class is very good. It will take true failure to botch it. I hope Mario is up to the task.

Oregon is a scary job if I’m a head coach. They are the BYU of the PAC-12. Unrealistic expectations.

Oregon should win 8+ games a year. Much like a Whitt led Utah (Utah without Whitt has potential to turn into WSU or OSU).

BUT, their fans think Oregon is much better than that. It’s not. Oregon has no recruits, which always hampers a program. It’s not fair to expect a coach to pull in a top 25 class every year when all your recruits come from out of state.

And, a lot of Oregon’s advantages, on tv, fancy uniforms, nice facilities, aren’t that much better than everyone else.

Then, you toss in Petersen, Leach, Shaw...the North is tough.

Oregon fans expect USC results, when Oregon the school is a notch down. Tough to be successful as a HC with those expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    First, a language police moment for me: He said, "Credit Arizona State for trying a different tact." Doesn't he have an editor? https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/25/ta...ifferent-tact/ Next he''l be saying ASU should of handled this differently.

Second, I thought this was interesting:
    In the last 10 days Herm Edwards has lost his DC and OC, so much for keeping the band together

Because it would be hard to make the ASU off-season any better. Dave Christensen to join the staff. Awesome.

https://247sports.com/college/arizon...oach-112475586

and if you thought ASU has screwed the pooch before . . . .

https://247sports.com/college/arizon...oach-112475586

Damn. Dwight beat me by seconds.