Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
Results 541 to 570 of 615

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

  1. #541
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Just like Sione. We reach out and tap one of our LB alumni with NFL experience and is coaching somewhere else.
    "former Utah linebacker with NFL experience"


  2. #542
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    damnit, we're losing Justin Ena to Logan

    https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/st...42026165436419

    just when I thought Utah had this linebacker thing figured out

    rumor going around that AROD will be the OC.

  3. #543
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    "former Utah linebacker with NFL experience"

    Trevor Reilly? Nate Orchard? Neither have coaching experience, and may not be ready to give up on their NFL prospects. Both are listed as linebackers on their Wikipedia pages.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  4. #544
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Trevor Reilly? Nate Orchard? Neither have coaching experience, and may not be ready to give up on their NFL prospects. Both are listed as linebackers on their Wikipedia pages.
    Sly?

  5. #545
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,288
    soooo, we might need a new OC

    Sources indicated there are four candidates Sac State strongly considered to replace Jody Sears, and all have strong local ties, either as Sacramento natives or as Sacramento State graduates. Those strong candidates, per sources, are Utah offensive coordinator Troy Taylor, Nevada assistant head coach/offensive line coach Angus McClure, American River College head coach Jon Osterhout and former Colorado co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Klayton Adams

    http://footballscoop.com/news/update...aching-search/

  6. #546
    Damn. The Kliff Kingsbury hire as OC is looking pretty amazing right now.

    I wonder if there is a chance we could convince Mike McCoy to come home to Utah at OC?

  7. #547
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    soooo, we might need a new OC

    Sources indicated there are four candidates Sac State strongly considered to replace Jody Sears, and all have strong local ties, either as Sacramento natives or as Sacramento State graduates. Those strong candidates, per sources, are Utah offensive coordinator Troy Taylor, Nevada assistant head coach/offensive line coach Angus McClure, American River College head coach Jon Osterhout and former Colorado co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Klayton Adams

    http://footballscoop.com/news/update...aching-search/
    That would be unfortunate.

  8. #548
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Damn. The Kliff Kingsbury hire as OC is looking pretty amazing right now.

    I wonder if there is a chance we could convince Mike McCoy to come home to Utah at OC?

    USC's in an interesting spot now. If the offense performs, what do people think about Helton? He's not a good coach. So if he gets bailed out by Kliff, they're stuck with him for a while? Of course, the first time Kliff sees UW, Cal, Utah, or Stanford, he'll be seeing the best defense he's seen in ages.

    I wonder if TTech has any regrets. The rest of the football world immediately recognized the value in Kliff, and Tech ended up with Matt Wells. Sure looks like a downgrade from here.

    I think Troy Taylor believes in himself too much to take the Sac State job. If the offense at Utah continues to improve (if we have another streak of 40+ point games), he'll get better offers than Sac State. If he goes there, it's unlikely he ever gets out.

    That said, if he goes, we can complete rewire the offense with Mike McCoy, bringing on Alex Smith as QB coach!

  9. #549
    Sac State HC would be a substantial pay cut, while being in a more expensive location. But TT has taken lower-paying jobs before to enhance his career (he basically took a 50% drop in pay to leave his job at high school to be the OC at EWU).

  10. #550
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Sac State HC would be a substantial pay cut, while being in a more expensive location. But TT has taken lower-paying jobs before to enhance his career (he basically took a 50% drop in pay to leave his job at high school to be the OC at EWU).
    That was to get into the college game. I think that's different. He's in now. Presumably, his goal is HC at a DI or P5. I think the path to that goal is much longer and far less likely through Sac State than through Utah.

    He may see it very differently, of course.

  11. #551
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That was to get into the college game. I think that's different. He's in now. Presumably, his goal is HC at a DI or P5. I think the path to that goal is much longer and far less likely through Sac State than through Utah.

    He may see it very differently, of course.
    Somebody just tweeted that FCS head coaching jobs are a stepping stone to a P-5 coordinator position, not the other way around. That's why coaches take them. But who knows.

  12. #552
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Somebody just tweeted that FCS head coaching jobs are a stepping stone to a P-5 coordinator position, not the other way around. That's why coaches take them. But who knows.
    We scored 3 points in our last game. Let's leave open the idea that maybe Troy isn't a hot commodity, and that the success we saw on offense this year wasn't all about him.

  13. #553
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We scored 3 points in our last game. Let's leave open the idea that maybe Troy isn't a hot commodity, and that the success we saw on offense this year wasn't all about him.

    Yeah, I don't think anyone is doing jumping jacks over Taylor. It won't be the end of the world if he leaves for Sac State. But it would be another turn through the carousel, which we really could do without.

    Still, this season was statistically our best offensive season in a long time, right?

  14. #554
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is doing jumping jacks over Taylor. It won't be the end of the world if he leaves for Sac State. But it would be another turn through the carousel, which we really could do without.

    Still, this season was statistically our best offensive season in a long time, right?
    Nope. Last year's was noticeably better, both in scoring and total offense. 52nd in both last year, 68th and 69th this year.

  15. #555
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Nope. Last year's was noticeably better, both in scoring and total offense. 52nd in both last year, 68th and 69th this year.
    How bout that. What about raw numbers as opposed to rankings?

  16. #556
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Nope. Last year's was noticeably better, both in scoring and total offense. 52nd in both last year, 68th and 69th this year.
    How did we rank before the Arizona State game, when Huntley went down?

  17. #557
    Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    How did we rank before the Arizona State game, when Huntley went down?
    And Moss immediately thereafter

  18. #558
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    How did we rank before the Arizona State game, when Huntley went down?
    We lost our starting QB for stretches in both seasons, and had two stinker games of offense when Huntley came back last year. There are enough bad breaks in both years where we can't cherry-pick points in the season.

  19. #559
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We lost our starting QB for stretches in both seasons, and had two stinker games of offense when Huntley came back last year. There are enough bad breaks in both years where we can't cherry-pick points in the season.
    TT's big mistake last year was bringing back huntley at least 2 games too early, esp. UO. Should have stuck with Troy Williams after USC. Big error in judgment, imho

  20. #560
    Reports now starting to flow that Taylor accepted the Sac State job.

  21. #561
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Reports now starting to flow that Taylor accepted the Sac State job.
    Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.

  22. #562
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.
    the timing two days before LOI day could not be worse

  23. #563
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    the timing two days before LOI day could not be worse
    Maybe it's twitter rumor sabotage!

  24. #564
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Looks like I'm wrong again. I guess no one should be surprised at this point. I think the easier path to DI head coach is as a P5 coordinator. By far. Either he doesn't see it that way, he doesn't get along with Kyle, he doesn't believe in this program, or he really wants to live in Sacramento.
    Those that are surprised at this have forgotten who our HC is, that Troy is not part of Kyle's inner circle and that our offense wasn't very good in long stretches this year, especially against the top teams in the league, against whom we averaged about 11 PPG. There was no improvement from Tyler, and the first half of the BYU game was atrocious. I'm kinda lost where people are getting the idea that Troy's job wasn't in jeopardy, and that he wasn't getting encouragement to look elsewhere.

  25. #565
    Onlyu's take. Interesting the TT can put up big numbers in the Big Sky but not here:


    While I’m surprised based on the money you guys pointed out last week I’m not at all surprised he took a head job. He has a tough time being told what to do and if you ever had the chance to listen to him on the headset during a game it would be better than watching the game itself. One exchange this year had Holliday respond with…”I’m not your son Troy, don’t tell me what to do.”TT randomly asked Lisk a few weeks back if he “had a Big Sky connection would you be interested in putting up some big numbers in that league.” Drew thought it was weird until he and Snoop were laughing about it last week when they heard he was thinking about the job.I heard a coach say “let’s hope so” semi-joking about the news last week. While it hurts offensive continuity we have a lot of experience coming back that will help with any transition. Not optimal of course but I’d rather change when you have a couple of QB’s that have experience vs. throwing a new kid in. We’ll be fine.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-17-2018 at 11:26 AM.

  26. #566
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,912
    I've given up hoping for anything about the offense. Kyleball will continue no matter what and I will just watch and cheer.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  27. #567
    Handsome Boy Graduate mpfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,502
    I'd assume that Harding ends up getting promoted or do with look outside the program? I'd honestly be fine with that at this point. It isn't like Troy Taylor has been that impressive. He was supposed to be a QB guru and it isn't like our QBs have improved.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

  28. #568
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I'd assume that Harding ends up getting promoted or do with look outside the program? I'd honestly be fine with that at this point. It isn't like Troy Taylor has been that impressive. He was supposed to be a QB guru and it isn't like our QBs have improved.
    You gotta make a call to Brian Johnson first, Mike McCoy second. It's coaching malpractice on Kyle's part if you don't.

  29. #569
    Handsome Boy Graduate mpfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,502
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You gotta make a call to Brian Johnson first, Mike McCoy second. It's coaching malpractice on Kyle's part if you don't.
    Sure you make those calls, but I think we know that answer will be no on both.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

  30. #570
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Sure you make those calls, but I think we know that answer will be no on both.
    Would we really get a no from Brian? It would be a fast track to him stepping in for Kyle when he retires in the next 5-7 years.

    As for Mike, he's in desperate need of a soft landing spot. Who's gonna hire him in the NFL right now? If he's ever gonna coach CFB, now's the time to strike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •