Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Would we really get a no from Brian? It would be a fast track to him stepping in for Kyle when he retires in the next 5-7 years.

As for Mike, he's in desperate need of a soft landing spot. Who's gonna hire him in the NFL right now? If he's ever gonna coach CFB, now's the time to strike.

Brian hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since leaving Utah. He's been a QB coach at Miss St, an OC at Houston, and a QB coach at Florida. I liked his hire back in the day (one of the few!) and I didn't like the decision to fire him. I'm fine with him if he comes back, but he's not a slam dunk.

McCoy would be a big change from what we've been doing offensively. I think both Utah and McCoy would have to make some adjustments. I'd be fun, though. I like Mike. This is not the best year to make big changes to the offense. We have a bunch of people returning, and we are hoping to make a push at a conference title.

We could poach Sanford Jr from Utah State. That would be a fun option since Gary just hired him.

Whoever comes is just keeping Alex Smith's seat warm!

As for Mike, he's in desperate need of a soft landing spot. Who's gonna hire him in the NFL right now? If he's ever gonna coach CFB, now's the time to strike.
    I don't think there's anything in Kyle's history suggesting that he'd hire a former NFL head coach to run his offense.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't think there's anything in Kyle's history suggesting that he'd hire a former NFL head coach to run his offense.
    You mean like Dennis Erickson?

I think Kyle respects the NFL game and wouldn't hesitate to hire a former NFL coach. The problem is that former NFL coaches often don't work out in the college game.

I iwll bet Harding gets promoted. There is a lot of scuttlebutt that the offense improved when Harding stepped in Harding stepped in after Norther Illinois and the offense became more run-game oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I iwll bet Harding gets promoted. There is a lot of scuttlebutt that the offense improved when Harding stepped in Harding stepped in after Norther Illinois and the offense became more run-game oriented.
    There's a lot to be said for continuity right now. I like Harding. I could live with this. Part of me would wonder if we could have made a better/flashier hire.

You mean like Dennis Erickson?
    Touche. I do see that as a different situation, since Erickson really made his name as a college coach. Also, from what I've heard I'm not sure how happy that relationship was.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

That's my guess too. Harding is part of the "family" now.

--Yeats

That's my guess too. Harding is part of the "family" now.
    The OCs at Utah in the Pac-12:

Chow 2011
    Johnson 2012
    Johnson/Erickson 2013
    Christensen 2014
    ARod/Harding 2015-16
    Troy Taylor 2017-18

I'm not sure what you mean by "family". I feel like you mean it negatively. On this list, only Johnson went to Utah. Johnson, ARod, and Harding were internal promotions. The other four were outsiders.

Touche. I do see that as a different situation, since Erickson really made his name as a college coach. Also, from what I've heard I'm not sure how happy that relationship was.
    I've heard this about Chow and Christensen. This is the first I've heard it with Erickson. But, as you and I like to say, what's the common denominator in all of this? Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.

I've heard this about Chow and Christensen. This is the first I've heard it with Erickson. But, as you and I like to say, what's the common denominator in all of this? Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.
    If that were the case I doubt Erickson would have stuck around as long as he did.

I’ve always heard Erickson just didn’t want to be the OC, that was never his desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for.

Then why has Scalley stuck around? All the defensive coaches? Why did Anderson come back? Why does Kalani love him?

I think if you want Harding to stick around, you need to promote him. He's paid his dues, and is a decent recruiter and you don't need to change the offense. Then bring in a QB coach who's a solid recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The OCs at Utah in the Pac-12:

Chow 2011
    Johnson 2012
    Johnson/Erickson 2013
    Christensen 2014
    ARod/Harding 2015-16
    Troy Taylor 2017-18

I'm not sure what you mean by "family". I feel like you mean it negatively. On this list, only Johnson went to Utah. Johnson, ARod, and Harding were internal promotions. The other four were outsiders.
    I really am at peace with Kyle as HC. (Even if I were not, it is OK to criticize a coach.) I am just doing some informed speculation based on what we have seen. What I meant is that Kyle likes to hire assistants with whom he has a personal connection. Nothing wrong with that; when I want to hire lawyers I am drawn to candidates I already know. Hiring mistakes are costly in multiple ways. I think all of the coaches you list fall into that personal connection category, some more proximately than others. I'd be surprised if Kyle hired someone like McCoy, unless he already knows him well (like Chow, A-Rod, Johnson, Erickson) or someone close to Kyle knows him well (like Christensen, Taylor). Kyle is by nature very cautious and conservative. That's a two-edged sword -- it's part of why he has been successful and also part of what sometimes holds him back, in the view of some fans.

--Yeats

(Even if I were not, it is OK to criticize a coach.)
    You're so sensitive. I just didn't know what you meant by "family". I also didn't know that Kyle and Erickson had a prior history.

The questions Kyle needs to answer about the OC hire are:

Are we staying with a spread/RPO passing game with a QB who can run mixed with a power run game or are we going to change to a pro-style offense? I assume the answer is the former, but I really don't know. I hope we stay with the current system because part of our offensive problems can be attributed to changing styles.

Does Harding have a grasp of the current passing game (other than pass protection) that would allow him to be successful as OC? If not, does Holiday and could they be successful as Co-OC's (I hate the idea)?

Can we hire someone with more experience to come in and be the OC. I would look at Yost, Mike Sanford Jr. and Brian Johnson. I am sure there are others out there who fit the bill. Brian was not very successful his first stint as OC at Utah, but I think that was a combo of his inexperience and a general lack of offensive talent. I did not follow what he did as OC at Houston, but I don't believe he was fired.

Ty Freaking Detmer!

Then why has Scalley stuck around? All the defensive coaches? Why did Anderson come back? Why does Kalani love him?
    Clearly, I forgot to put in a qualifier that should be obvious to everyone. Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for if you're a coach on the offensive side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I hope we stay with the current system because part of our offensive problems can be attributed to changing styles.
    I agree, which is the main reason to promote Harding in my opinion. Like Scorcho said, it's kinda insulting to Harding if someone else gets the spot.

Does Harding have a grasp of the current passing game (other than pass protection) that would allow him to be successful as OC? If not, does Holiday and could they be successful as Co-OC's (I hate the idea)?
    Looking back, we've had Co-OC's waaay too often.

I did not follow what he did as OC at Houston, but I don't believe he was fired.
    They went 7-5 in a disappointing season. Dan Mullen likes him and rescued him to Florida. The repeated Dan Mullen endorsement of Brian Johnson is one of the strongest points of BJ's resume.

Clearly, I forgot to put in a qualifier that should be obvious to everyone. Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for if you're a coach on the offensive side of the ball.
    No speculation there. You are just blowing it out of somewhere.

Scott Mitchell is tanned, rested and ready!

What’s Jim Fassel up to these days, anyway?

--Yeats

Harding named interim offensive coordinator. I guess this means Taylor is not going to be involved with the bowl game. I think elevating Harding permanently could make a lot of sense, and I hope it works out.

--Yeats

Harding named interim offensive coordinator. I guess this means Taylor is not going to be involved with the bowl game. I think elevating Harding permanently could make a lot of sense, and I hope it works out.

here is a stat:

Jim Harding started as Utah's OL coach in 2014. In his 5 years as OL coach, Utah has allowed the 2nd most tackles for loss in the NCAA. They have allowed the 9th most sacks in the NCAA. And they have only had one season where Utah was in the top 50 in yards per carry (2016).

and another
    Utah’s last 7 offensive coordinators all went undefeated against BYU. Norm Chow Brian Johnson Dave Christensen Dennis Erickson Aaron Roderick Jim Harding Troy Taylor

Last edited by concerned; 12-18-2018 at 10:03 AM.

In an interview after practice yesterday, Kyle said it had not yet been determined and would depend on how much time Taylor could commit to Utah between now and the bowl game.

here is a stat:

Jim Harding started as Utah's OL coach in 2014. In his 5 years as OL coach, Utah has allowed the 2nd most tackles for loss in the NCAA. They have allowed the 9th most sacks in the NCAA. And they have only had one season where Utah was in the top 50 in yards per carry (2016).
    Well then. Maybe continuity isn’t the most important element in the hiring decision.

--Yeats

This feels like the first real opportunity Harlan might have to have some influence on this program from an on-field perspective. Obviously, he trusts Kyle, but I do wonder how involved he'll be in helping Kyle narrow the list of names. Maybe he won't be at all, but he's got to have some contacts that Kyle doesn't on the east coast. For example, Sterlin Gilbert was Charlie Strong's OC at South Florida this year for an offense that averaged better than the Utes in passing and rushing per game.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Taylor got 7-8 years guaranteed at Sac State

He also confirmed he will coach Holiday Bowl

Taylor also said that Whitt asked him to stay and to not take the job at Sac State. That blows a lot of theories out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Taylor also said that Whitt asked him to stay and to not take the job at Sac State. That blows a lot of theories out of the water.
    Do you think Taylor is going to say Whit wanted him gone? I'm not saying that either was the case, just that I don't see that statement as particularly compelling evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Do you think Taylor is going to say Whit wanted him gone? I'm not saying that either was the case, just that I don't see that statement as particularly compelling evidence.
    Yeah, I think logic is still the strongest evidence against this conspiracy theory.