Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Why do you suppose Mullen hired BJ rather than promote Elliott?
    Because Mullen ain't Kyle Whittingham? GA to OC is a massive jump. Additionally, there are rules and contracts for GA coaches, high among them completing a graduate program at the school.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Because Mullen ain't Kyle Whittingham? GA to OC is a massive jump. Additionally, there are rules and contracts for GA coaches, high among them completing a graduate program at the school.

That situation seems almost as fun as ours. BJ and Billy Gonzalez to be Co OCs, with Mullen calling the plays.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

BJ isnt the OC--Billy Gonzalez is (along with Hevesy). BJ is the QB coach. BJ made that jump, so did Jordan Wynn.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

BJ isnt the OC--Billy Gonzalez is (along with Hevesy). BJ is the QB coach. BJ made that jump, so did Jordan Wynn.
    Then the second sentence potentially applies. Ratliff possibly hasn't completed his graduate courseload and cannot be promoted as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Football Scoop as retweeted by Dan Sorensen: Taylor Stubblefield a leading candidate for the WR job at Utah. He accepted the same position for Eastern Michigan last week. http://www.wakeforestsports.com/spor...ld_843222.html
    Hey, you cannot go wrong with a coach who is not afraid to wear a bowtie.

Stubblefield.jpg

Leaving now is good for Brian if he ever hoped to advance his career at Utah. He could never be considered for a job here if he went down with a sinking ship this year or next. It's good for Utah now in that it is a sign Kyle is truly handing over the offense to DC.

Leaving now is good for Brian if he ever hoped to advance his career at Utah. He could never be considered for a job here if he went down with a sinking ship this year or next. It's good for Utah now in that it is a sign Kyle is truly handing over the offense to DC.
    He should always have been in a situation where he had an offensive mentor like Mullen (Dennis Erickson notwithstanding). He should never have been OC for a defensive HC. This should be a great move for him.

He should always have been in a situation where he had an offensive mentor like Mullen (Dennis Erickson notwithstanding). He should never have been OC for a defensive HC. This should be a great move for him.
    This is bullshit. I agree with Ted Miller. Had Wynn and Wilson stayed healthy BJ would be a GOD around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    This is bullshit. I agree with Ted Miller. Had Wynn and Wilson stayed healthy BJ would be a GOD around here.
    You're right.. He was a brilliant coordinator in command of the offense without the need for any mentoring from anyone, done in by unfortunate injuries alone, and Wittingham was too stupid to recognize it and give him another chance.
    Last edited by concerned; 02-11-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That was my understanding. At the least, the game plan was a group effort.

Game plan is always a group effort. I was told that BJ became more involved in calling plays after Stanford and that it increased as the year went on.

Then the second sentence potentially applies. Ratliff possibly hasn't completed his graduate courseload and cannot be promoted as a result.
    A graduate assistant does not have to obtain his graduate degree in order to be hired as a coach. He simply needs to be enrolled in graduate school to be a graduate assistant.

Who will be on the hot seat in the PAC-12 this year? Mora? Rodriguez? Helfrich? Fans bases and media for each seem to be turning on them a bit.

Anderson and Shaw are having crappy seasons. But Anderson is still in rebuild mode, and Shaw probably has enough goodwill to survey. Helton seems to have the Trojans improving, and Dykes is winning just enough and in exciting fashion at home, to keep fans happy. Graham is in abut of a gray area.

Peterson, Whittingham, Mcintyre, and Leach are all solid now, with their teams on the rise and outperforming expectations.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Who will be on the hot seat in the PAC-12 this year? Mora? Rodriguez? Helfrich? Fans bases and media for each seem to be turning on them a bit.

Anderson and Shaw are having crappy seasons. But Anderson is still in rebuild mode, and Shaw probably has enough goodwill to survey. Helton seems to have the Trojans improving, and Dykes is winning just enough and in exciting fashion at home, to keep fans happy. Graham is in abut of a gray area.

Peterson, Whittingham, Mcintyre, and Leach are all solid now, with their teams on the rise and outperforming expectations.
    I think Mora has enough goodwill to survive this year. But he has to win 8 or more next year.

I've heard Helfrich is safe, but that was 3 weeks ago. Not a lot of wins left on the Ducks' schedule. If they pull an 0-fer in league play, how do you not fire him?

Helfrich has a $11M buyout this year. He isn't going anywhere unless a lot of wealthy people pony up.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Helfrich has a $11M buyout this year. He isn't going anywhere unless a lot of wealthy people pony up.
    So in other words it probably comes down to whether Phil Knight wants him back.

Tough spot for Oregon. If they fire Helfrich, aren't they really firing the whole Win The Day system that Belotti and Kelley started? They would have to hire an Oregon outsider.

How is Scott Frost doing in Florida?

Tough spot for Oregon. If they fire Helfrich, aren't they really firing the whole Win The Day system that Belotti and Kelley started? They would have to hire an Oregon outsider.
    What makes you think that they won't end up with Chip Kelly again? I really think he ends up back at Oregon either this year or they hold off one more year. Uncle Phil will make that happen. At least for the sake of our good friend HFN, I hope he makes it happen.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Sark to Atlanta Falcons as OC. Strong rumors of Chip Kelley to Bama as OC.

The rich get significantly richer.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Why would Kelly go be an OC? I'd think he'd have any job he wants next November.

I guess this is a good thing. Especially if he was as good of a recruiter as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I just realized that a better thread title for this would be "Off With the Headsets!"

Anyway, a bit more insight into the Gary Anderson exit.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...s_exit_ro.html

ASU to hire Herm Edwards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ASU to hire Herm Edwards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    UCLA hits a tater with its choice. ASU fouls off a strike three bunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Man, you could have at least given the local guys the credit

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...in-utes-staff/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It apparently is widely known/assumed within the athletic dept. that ga is joining the team.

ASU AD was also Herm Edwards's agent.

It apparently is widely known/assumed within the athletic dept. that ga is joining the team.
    This will be interesting to watch. Gary has a lot of great qualities as a recruiter and a coach. I don't know how well he and Morgan get along.