Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Clearly, I forgot to put in a qualifier that should be obvious to everyone. Maybe Kyle is just a real asshole to work for if you're a coach on the offensive side of the ball.
    No speculation there. You are just blowing it out of somewhere.

Scott Mitchell is tanned, rested and ready!

What’s Jim Fassel up to these days, anyway?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Harding named interim offensive coordinator. I guess this means Taylor is not going to be involved with the bowl game. I think elevating Harding permanently could make a lot of sense, and I hope it works out.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Harding named interim offensive coordinator. I guess this means Taylor is not going to be involved with the bowl game. I think elevating Harding permanently could make a lot of sense, and I hope it works out.

here is a stat:

Jim Harding started as Utah's OL coach in 2014. In his 5 years as OL coach, Utah has allowed the 2nd most tackles for loss in the NCAA. They have allowed the 9th most sacks in the NCAA. And they have only had one season where Utah was in the top 50 in yards per carry (2016).

and another
    Utah’s last 7 offensive coordinators all went undefeated against BYU. Norm Chow Brian Johnson Dave Christensen Dennis Erickson Aaron Roderick Jim Harding Troy Taylor

Last edited by concerned; 12-18-2018 at 09:03 AM.

In an interview after practice yesterday, Kyle said it had not yet been determined and would depend on how much time Taylor could commit to Utah between now and the bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    here is a stat:

Jim Harding started as Utah's OL coach in 2014. In his 5 years as OL coach, Utah has allowed the 2nd most tackles for loss in the NCAA. They have allowed the 9th most sacks in the NCAA. And they have only had one season where Utah was in the top 50 in yards per carry (2016).
    Well then. Maybe continuity isn’t the most important element in the hiring decision.

--Yeats

This feels like the first real opportunity Harlan might have to have some influence on this program from an on-field perspective. Obviously, he trusts Kyle, but I do wonder how involved he'll be in helping Kyle narrow the list of names. Maybe he won't be at all, but he's got to have some contacts that Kyle doesn't on the east coast. For example, Sterlin Gilbert was Charlie Strong's OC at South Florida this year for an offense that averaged better than the Utes in passing and rushing per game.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Taylor got 7-8 years guaranteed at Sac State

He also confirmed he will coach Holiday Bowl

Taylor also said that Whitt asked him to stay and to not take the job at Sac State. That blows a lot of theories out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Taylor also said that Whitt asked him to stay and to not take the job at Sac State. That blows a lot of theories out of the water.
    Do you think Taylor is going to say Whit wanted him gone? I'm not saying that either was the case, just that I don't see that statement as particularly compelling evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Do you think Taylor is going to say Whit wanted him gone? I'm not saying that either was the case, just that I don't see that statement as particularly compelling evidence.

He didnt have to say anything. I dont think he would have said it if there was a chance Whit would contradict it. He went out on a limb to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, I think logic is still the strongest evidence against this conspiracy theory.
    The fact that TT is coaching in the bowl game, and not already out recruiting for Sacto State, is further proof. In fact, he might be damaging Sac State by NOT recruiting.

From Kragthorpe's newsletter today:

Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham’s latest search for an offensive coordinator already has lasted longer than the process that landed Troy Taylor two years ago. Whittingham named Taylor soon after firing Aaron Roderick, following the Utes' win over Indiana in the 2016 Foster Farms Bowl. Taylor will complete his Utah stay in the Dec. 31 Holiday Bowl vs.Northwestern, having received a seven-year, guaranteed contract to become Sacramento State’s head coach. The deal is “unusual at any level of football,” Taylor told ESPN 700, citing the school’s “major commitment to me.”

Before studying Whittingham's hiring pattern, I'll define the terms: “Play-caller” is the best job title, because he often has used co-coordinators.
    Of the eight play-callers since Andy Ludwig’s four-year tenure ended in the 2009 Sugar Bowl, four have been in-house promotions: Dave Schramm, Roderick, Brian Johnson and Roderick again. Two were veteran coaches: Norm Chow and Dennis Erickson. Dave Christensen is in his own category, as an old friend. And then there’s Taylor, who had ties to Ute assistant coach Freddie Whittingham during his time at Folsom High School near Sacramento, and improved his credentials in one year at Eastern Washington.

So history shows there’s a 50-50 chance of Kyle Whittingham’s promoting offensive line coach Jim Harding.If that happened, Utah would add a quarterbacks coach.
    And based on the same history there's a 100% chance the new OC will be someone with whom KW has a personal connection. Nothing wrong with that, it just narrows down the list of possible candidates. We'll see if I am right.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-20-2018 at 11:50 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think that's a pretty safe bet.

I wonder what percentage of coordinator hires in college football are people with no personal connection to the coaching staff. It must be a very small number.
    I am inclined to hire people that I either know, or who are well known by someone I do know.

--Yeats

I am inclined to hire people that I either know, or who are well known by someone I do know.
    I've come to the realization that whoever carries the title of OC is largely irrelevant. Kyle Whittingham is Utah's OC in spirit and influence.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I've come to the realization that whoever carries the title of OC is largely irrelevant. Kyle Whittingham is Utah's OC in spirit and influence.
    Kyle was as clear as I have ever heard him after the first Washington game when he said that he wants an offense that has a physical run game and a mobile QB with big play capability. The offense certainly improved when TT got the message that we needed to run more.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Kyle was as clear as I have ever heard him after the first Washington game when he said that he wants an offense that has a physical run game and a mobile QB with big play capability. The offense certainly improved when TT got the message that we needed to run more.
    Yep. It also improved last year, after Huntley got injured and Troy Williams handed the ball off to Moss a lot more, and didn't keep it himself.

Taylor expressed excitement at returning to his home area to coach. It was a strange move in some ways. Outgoing Sacramento State coach Jody Sears earned a reported $175,000. Taylor’s salary was $525,000 at Utah, with an $87,500 bonus, according to USA Today.
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ams-world.html

--Yeats

Yeah, the strange thing in all of this is the money. Maybe he really wanted to be in Sacramento? :dunno:

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, the strange thing in all of this is the money. Maybe he really wanted to be in Sacramento? :dunno:
    I think a 7 year guaranteed contract is just as strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess this was inevitable ...

As Freddie Kitchens keeps putting together his staff, the #Browns interviewed Utah OL coach Jim Harding, source said. Considered one of the best at the college level.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1084465552339468289

I want one year of Ludwig's power run game and spread passing with Harding's O Line coaching prowess. Is that too much to ask?

I want one year of Ludwig's power run game and spread passing with Harding's O Line coaching prowess. Is that too much to ask?

Charlie Dickie, former Ute OL coach, was not retained in the latest coaching change at K State. He left Utah the same year as Lud and has been at K State ever since. He is a very good coach.

Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Ask and ye shall receive.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 01-13-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Seems like an over reaction for poor coaching but I guess when it comes to Southern cuisine, when in Rome...

Clay Helton's retention is official.

I am happy with his retention.

Tangential to Utah, Troy Taylor has Sacramento State in the FCS playoffs for the first time in over 30 years.

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-s...237815814.html
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Beau Baldwin, Troy Taylor's former boss at Eastern Washington and currently Cal's oc, set to return to FCS as head coach at Cal Poly. Apparently being shut out by Utah did not go over well, among other things. The Eastern Washington/FCS offensive guru experiment is officially over.

Mel Tucker to Michigan State -- at twice the salary. I guess money CAN buy everything.....

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2020/02/michigan-state-officially-announces-colorados-mel-tucker-as-new-football-coach.html

Drew Pearson isn't impressed.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/02/12/cowboys-drew-pearson-mel-tucker-con-man-taking-spartans-job/4738248002/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.