Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

This is what Utah needs:

"We’ll run my offense, coach it the way I want it coached and taught the way I want it taught," he said. "We’re going to take this in the direction I want it to go, which will be an up-tempo, spread-attack based offense."

Someone to come in, tell everyone else to shut up and do what they are told on offense.

I'm not worried about tempo. Christensen has been successful at this before. Even this last year, Wyoming put up over 30 points per game, with Nebraska, USU, Boise and Fresno on the schedule. Good teams on their level. He isn't Anae, who went fast to go fast but forgot about spacing, formations, scheme, etc. Anae went fast to go fast. Christensen goes fast with a purpose.

Everyone has been bitching about how this is bad for the team because of continuity, but I see this as a positive. Someone to come in and say, "this is my offense, it works amazing, I'll put WR's, TE's, QB's in the NFL, and I'll make you all americans. Do what I say, and do it now."

There are no jobs safe here. I LOVE that F-bomb rant of his against AFA. We need a guy like that. We haven't had someone like that since Andersen. Our offense needs fire. He has fire. He has been successful. He will make our TE, WR and OL better through scheme and coaching.

This is a good hire.

Hans Olsen tweets about DE:

DE wasn't as surprised about this move as people are believing him to be."

"DE didn't call as many plays as people think. BJ had more say and pull than what has been reported."

Is this why our offense resorted back to what it was under BJ alone? - my thought

"More of a demotion for BJ than Erickson. There is a very good chance DE stays on staff. He knows Dave well."

Once again, drama created out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    There are no jobs safe here. I LOVE that F-bomb rant of his against AFA. We need a guy like that. We haven't had someone like that since Andersen. Our offense needs fire. He has fire. He has been successful. He will make our TE, WR and OL better through scheme and coaching.

This is a good hire.
    This is a good hire, but in a vacuum, only a jackass would appreciate what Christensen said on Military Appreciation Night to an AFA graduate and coaching peer, and only a moron would use that moment as an example of what we need at Utah. Christensen was suspended for a game for that and was nearly fired over it. Do you really advocate actions that gets coaches suspended? I also strongly doubt Gary Anderson would agree with your comparison.

Take the big picture into account, however, and Christensen is a good hire for us because he'll NEVER be a head coach in FBS again after that rant. If he can deliver results, I'll always have his back. Odds are also good if that happens, that he's here for a while and allows Kyle to fill the goodwill tank with Ws.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Take the big picture into account, however, and Christensen is a good hire for us because he'll NEVER be a head coach in FBS again after that rant.
    If we are successful and score a lot, he will get offers. Coaches have done worse and come out okay. I just hope we are in a position to find out.

This is a good hire, but in a vacuum, only a jackass would appreciate what Christensen said on Military Appreciation Night to an AFA graduate and coaching peer, and only a moron would use that moment as an example of what we need at Utah. Christensen was suspended for a game for that and was nearly fired over it. Do you really advocate actions that gets coaches suspended? I also strongly doubt Gary Anderson would agree with your comparison.

Take the big picture into account, however, and Christensen is a good hire for us because he'll NEVER be a head coach in FBS again after that rant. If he can deliver results, I'll always have his back. Odds are also good if that happens, that he's here for a while and allows Kyle to fill the goodwill tank with Ws.
    LOL. Serious? What Christensen did was nothing a lot of other coaches do all the time. His only problem was he did it on camera and not in a locker room. Don't pretend like he is an anomaly here. Urban is 100x's worse than that, and all he gets is buckets of money thrown at him.

If Christensen comes out and turns the offense around, and we go out and win 10+ games because of that, he is probably gone. That rant is irrelevant to his future job prospects. He was in Wyoming for heaven's sakes.

And going along with that, didn't an Oregon coach have a big meltdown this year? If Christensen cuts out a couple of F-bombs, or does it off camera, or the AFA isn't involved (with DC questioning their ethics), then no one cares. It was a perfect storm of events that happened in that situation. The F-bombs, the AFA, questioning of ethics. Take one of those elements out and no one cares.

How did that hurt Gundy at OK St?

Seriously, not a big deal at all.

And going along with that, didn't an Oregon coach have a big meltdown this year? If Christensen cuts out a couple of F-bombs, or does it off camera, or the AFA isn't involved (with DC questioning their ethics), then no one cares. It was a perfect storm of events that happened in that situation. The F-bombs, the AFA, questioning of ethics. Take one of those elements out and no one cares.

How did that hurt Gundy at OK St?

Seriously, not a big deal at all.
    Gundy owned up to it immediately and played along with people joking about it at his expense for many years. I have witnessed this first-hand.

What Christensen got suspended for, you applaud. What Christensen did to embarrass Wyoming, you're think Utah needs more of. You don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    One of our glaring weaknesses this year was a lack of offensive identity. It seemed like the offenses' production hinged very closely on Wilson's ability and availability to play. I think we will see Christiansen bring some clarity to that and perhaps the drop off and results won't be nearly as dramatic.

He did well with Chase Daniel at Missouri, whose measurables nearly mirror those of Schultz and Manning.

I agree that this is likely Whit's last move as HC if it doesn't work out. He knows that one of the big differences between a bowl game this year and not was the offense essentially being shut down in at least two winnable games if not more. He believes Christiansen is the answer. We'll find out, and if he's wrong then those that want blood will get it.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    oh hell please don't even indicate that shulz is the guy next year!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Okay dude. Here's a proposition. I won't read your posts and you won't read mine. You won't miss much because I don't know much. I know I will miss out on a great deal of information, but I am willing to live with that.
    sorry but this seems to be a pretty sensative comment.

not everyone has to agree with you. don't let your feeling get hurt so bad on a interent message board.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    oh hell please don't even indicate that shulz is the guy next year!!!!!!!!!!
    "Who did well with a shrimpy QB?....hey Dave, it's Kyle...."

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Gundy owned up to it immediately and played along with people joking about it at his expense for many years. I have witnessed this first-hand.

What Christensen got suspended for, you applaud. What Christensen did to embarrass Wyoming, you're think Utah needs more of. You don't deserve to be taken seriously.
    Uhhhhh. Christensen owned up to it immediately.

Again, come on now. What would you do if the opposing team faked injuries. Not sort of, or might of, but actually faked injuries. Beyond a shadow of doubt faked injuries and owned up to it after the game. Would you just shrug it off and shake the guy's hand? Or would drop an F bomb or two? Probably drop an F bomb.

Did he hit anyone? Did he make insensitive remarks? Heck, was anything he said not true? So, other than get caught, what did he do wrong?

He got mad, and cussed someone out.

Big deal. I'll take more of that any day of the week.

p.s. He wasn't almost fired after the incident and initially Wyoming did nothing to punish him. It wasn't until the video went viral did they do anything about it. He was suspended after they had played their next game.

Again. Much adieu about nothing. I'll listen to people talk about how terrible he is after college football players aren't getting paid and taking PED's.

This is Sunday school stuff here. A couple of "F" bombs? Come on.

Uhhhhh. Christensen owned up to it immediately.

Again, come on now. What would you do if the opposing team faked injuries. Not sort of, or might of, but actually faked injuries. Beyond a shadow of doubt faked injuries and owned up to it after the game. Would you just shrug it off and shake the guy's hand? Or would drop an F bomb or two? Probably drop an F bomb.

Did he hit anyone? Did he make insensitive remarks? Heck, was anything he said not true? So, other than get caught, what did he do wrong?

He got mad, and cussed someone out.

Big deal. I'll take more of that any day of the week.

p.s. He wasn't almost fired after the incident and initially Wyoming did nothing to punish him. It wasn't until the video went viral did they do anything about it. He was suspended after they had played their next game.

Again. Much adieu about nothing. I'll listen to people talk about how terrible he is after college football players aren't getting paid and taking PED's.

This is Sunday school stuff here. A couple of "F" bombs? Come on.
    We've already determined that your standard for conduct is on the level of a junior high boys locker room. Speak for yourself, but don't ever think you speak for me.

If anyone ever talked to me like Christensen did Calhoun at my place of employment, they would be kicked out immediately. And my workspace can be just as highly charged emotionally as a football field. I would also say there are many other workplaces that are not as emotionally charged that would react in a similar fashion. The idea that athletics is different and that we excuse civility is neanderthal. You can be angry, still be a good sport and do your venting without making a complete ass out of yourself. Clearly, you believe making an ass out of one's self can be justified.

We've already determined that your standard for conduct is on the level of a junior high boys locker room. Speak for yourself, but don't ever think you speak for me.

If anyone ever talked to me like Christensen did Calhoun at my place of employment, they would be kicked out immediately. And my workspace can be just as highly charged emotionally as a football field. I would also say there are many other workplaces that are not as emotionally charged that would react in a similar fashion. The idea that athletics is different and that we excuse civility is neanderthal. You can be angry, still be a good sport and do your venting without making a complete ass out of yourself. Clearly, you believe making an ass out of one's self can be justified.
    Lol.

First, you don't work on a football field.

Second, as high and mighty as you believe you are, reality is reality.

If you don't want to believe it, good for you, but to pretend that a couple of F bombs is offensive in/on a football field/locker room/practice is ignorant. Sorry.

If he does this against any other team, or doesn't question AFA's ethics, then this is a non-issue.

haha...this place is UFN-ing it up again. Yup, I'm using that as a transitive verb. Just because one person doesn't agree with another, then it's bad and unacceptable; name-calling and other inane comments start to be meted out. Just because something happens that would mean it's ok to accept it. Do people prefer drama to sports? No wonder people start fights and stab each other. LOL
    Last edited by justaute; 12-23-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    haha...this place is UFN-ing up again. Yup, I'm using that as a transitive verb. Just because one person doesn't agree with another, then it's bad and name-calling and other inane comments start coming out. Just because something happens that would mean it's ok to accept it. LOL
    I agree. please don't turn into that cesspool.

First, you don't work on a football field.

Second, as high and mighty as you believe you are, reality is reality.

If you don't want to believe it, good for you, but to pretend that a couple of F bombs is offensive in/on a football field/locker room/practice is ignorant. Sorry.

If he does this against any other team, or doesn't question AFA's ethics, then this is a non-issue.
    This is truly funny for the few people who know my past professional background.

I must commend you on your backtracking. You've gone from defending one of the more deplorable acts of sportsmanship and saying that's just the kind of attitude we need at Utah, to tossing out qualifiers and trying to reduce it to a brief bout of profanity.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    haha...this place is UFN-ing it up again. Yup, I'm using that as a transitive verb. Just because one person doesn't agree with another, then it's bad and unacceptable; name-calling and other inane comments start to be meted out. Just because something happens that would mean it's ok to accept it. Do people prefer drama to sports? No wonder people start fights and stab each other. LOL
    Not sure whether you're referring to me, Utah or both, but this isn't about first-guessing whether or not Brian Johnson would make a good OC or if Kyle Whittingham deserves one more season or two. There's plenty of room for debate on both sides of that coin. I simply don't agree with stupid, brain-dead opinions and I will call them out as such. (There's certainly some I made about Larry Krystkowiak in his first year, but I'll own those.)

Attempting to defend Dave Christensen for what he did two years ago after the AFA game is one of them. Sue me. You want to say he's not going to do that again or that he's learned his lesson -- that's an opinion I won't challenge. I hope that's the case. You can be passionate, emotional and fire up your team without being a complete jackass and bringing embarrassment upon the school.

sorry but this seems to be a pretty sensative comment.

not everyone has to agree with you. don't let your feeling get hurt so bad on a interent message board.
    I don't think his feelings were hurt at all.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I agree. please don't turn into that cesspool.
    There's a thin line, apparently, between a cesspool and . . . not a cesspool.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    There's a thin line, apparently, between a cesspool and . . . not a cesspool.
    Cesspools forbidden here. Grown-ups post on UB5!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Even this last year, Wyoming put up over 30 points per game, with Nebraska, USU, Boise and Fresno on the schedule. Good teams on their level.
    Nebraska was a great game for Wyoming. But they put up a combined 24 points against USU, Boise, and Fresno State. If you're using their offense this year to show why DC is a good hire, then you're not makeing a very strong case.

Hans Olsen tweets about DE:

DE wasn't as surprised about this move as people are believing him to be."

"DE didn't call as many plays as people think. BJ had more say and pull than what has been reported."

Is this why our offense resorted back to what it was under BJ alone? - my thought

"More of a demotion for BJ than Erickson. There is a very good chance DE stays on staff. He knows Dave well."

Once again, drama created out of nowhere.
    thanks for posting this. I really like listening to Olsens take on things. He seems a reasonable zoob.
    I didn't have time to catch his radio show after the hire. Did he elaborate on air about anything?

Off with their heads! - Coaching hirings and firings

Good info. I generally trust Hans as a guy who sometimes has too rosy a view but who tries to get it right and has no agenda.

My attitude about the Christensen hire now is (1) that I can make sense of it (unlike too many of Kyle's other OC hires), and (2) that there's nothing to do about it now but watch and hope for the best. And make a year-end donation to the Crimson Club. No amount too small, guys!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-24-2013 at 06:41 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't think his feelings were hurt at all.
    just though he got ultra sensative in his response. thought it was pretty weak.

Off with their heads! - Coaching hirings and firings

He was ticked off. That happens on message boards. We all feel strongly about our teams, which is why we devote so much of our lives to these boards. My wife considers me an overgrown adolescent in that regard. She's at least a little bit right!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.

--Yeats

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Get off my lawn!

I didn't

Frankly the original post attempting to call him out (the "I don't know you but I'm more connected than you are" crap) was the problem.

This is truly funny for the few people who know my past professional background.

I must commend you on your backtracking. You've gone from defending one of the more deplorable acts of sportsmanship and saying that's just the kind of attitude we need at Utah, to tossing out qualifiers and trying to reduce it to a brief bout of profanity.
    Lol. Love it. Love it.

Anyhow...I think a lot of the DE/BJ stuff is overblown. Drama made up to drive ratings. It's what we love. DC is a great hire. He is a great OC, he does good things with wide outs and TE's and I think we will see more of those athletes on the field more this year. One nice thing about spreading things out is that you dictate more, taking pressure off the QB and OL.

If Wilson is able to come back, watch out. If he isn't, I think 6-6 is a very good goal.

Quote Originally Posted by cald22well View Post
    Nebraska was a great game for Wyoming. But they put up a combined 24 points against USU, Boise, and Fresno State. If you're using their offense this year to show why DC is a good hire, then you're not makeing a very strong case.
    I love posts like this. When we want to defend Utah's 2008 and 2004 seasons, Fresno St, Boise and USU are all BCS caliber teams and deserve BCS recognition. When we want to prove that DC is a bad hire, they are just crappy mid-majors.