Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I didn't

Frankly the original post attempting to call him out (the "I don't know you but I'm more connected than you are" crap) was the problem.
    I understand that. he probably could have worded it better than he did. but I also thought he was basically saying that he has heard different.

but to come back after one measly disagreement and say ignore me and I will ignore you was pretty sensative on his part. that is what I am getting at. seemed his feelings were hurt that someone else had inside info that differed. then his pitty party of your better than me and I know nothing (after admitting to talk to inside people) was a show of sensative hurt feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    I understand that. he probably could have worded it better than he did. but I also thought he was basically saying that he has heard different.

but to come back after one measly disagreement and say ignore me and I will ignore you was pretty sensative on his part. that is what I am getting at. seemed his feelings were hurt that someone else had inside info that differed. then his pitty party of your better than me and I know nothing (after admitting to talk to inside people) was a show of sensative hurt feelings.
    I think it was sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This is truly funny for the few people who know my past professional background.

I must commend you on your backtracking. You've gone from defending one of the more deplorable acts of sportsmanship and saying that's just the kind of attitude we need at Utah, to tossing out qualifiers and trying to reduce it to a brief bout of profanity.
    If only we were all lucky enough to know!!!

I think it was sarcasm
    alright...but I didn't see the colored text?

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I love posts like this. When we want to defend Utah's 2008 and 2004 seasons, Fresno St, Boise and USU are all BCS caliber teams and deserve BCS recognition. When we want to prove that DC is a bad hire, they are just crappy mid-majors.
    A couple of things: 1) I think DC is a very good hire given his success at Mizzou. 2) I think that USU, Boise, and Fresno are all very good teams. 3 of the top 5 mid-majors in my opinion.

My point was that if you are going to use this past season as a defense of DC, it is silly to point out Wyoming's ppg that included these tough teams. Wyoming performed terribly against those teams. I'm on your side of the debate, I just think that you used a very poor argument.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The hiring and the decision were not a surprise, in fact, I was told by some on the staff that they thought the announcement was going to be made before it actually came down... I know there are people on message boards who think everything should go through them and those in the media who when told someone was surprised that it was done today makes it sound like they had no knowledge that there was even a person named Dave Christensen and that he was a football coach.
    Wow- so that escalated quickly and hasn't gone away. My biggest pet peeve on these boards is people who claim insider knowledge, and then are condescending towards everyone who doesn't- acting like having a connected friend makes them smarter than everyone else. So yeah, when someone pullls the connection card, is patronizing to the entire board, and to anyone who engages in discussion based on the best information available to them, I think responding in a less than passive fashion including letting him/her know that his/her insider info isn't the only info out there, is appropriate. If that results in temborary butthurt, so be it.

That said, my panties were/are still in a bunch because I don't like the continued redirection of the offense. A PM (I now know how those work) would have been more appropriate.

Banned
    Well... whatever,

I hope this works.

If our offense catches fire and our team produces a winning record next year... we go to a decent bowl game (or even better)... then all will be well.

If not... it will be much worse. Patience is a virtue, but it is not easily achieved... especially on football message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    Wow- so that escalated quickly and hasn't gone away. My biggest pet peeve on these boards is people who claim insider knowledge, and then are condescending towards everyone who doesn't- acting like having a connected friend makes them smarter than everyone else. So yeah, when someone pullls the connection card, is patronizing to the entire board, and to anyone who engages in discussion based on the best information available to them, I think responding in a less than passive fashion including letting him/her know that his/her insider info isn't the only info out there, is appropriate. If that results in temborary butthurt, so be it.

That said, my panties were/are still in a bunch because I don't like the continued redirection of the offense. A PM (I now know how those work) would have been more appropriate.
    You and UTEopia are excellent members of this board. I'm sure you'll both be singing Kumbaya before too long.

And yes, PMs are an excellent way to clarify misunderstandings. Don't ask me how I know this....

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Tosh Lupoi. From what I understand, this guy is an incredible recruiter.

This report says that Wilcox and Lupoi are proving difficult to extract out of UW.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-...uts-usc/212929
    USC: Justin Wilcox will be named USC's defensive coordinator after Washington's bowl game tonight according to Bruce Feldman.
    http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Just saw 1280 reporting on twitter that Dan Finn is out at the U. If true, no surprise here.

Coachingsearch.com is reporting that Finn is out and former Wyoming assistant Jim Harding is a candidate for the spot:

https://twitter.com/intent/user?orig...73093188546560

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Just saw 1280 reporting on twitter that Dan Finn is out at the U. If true, no surprise here.
    Better line play is required if we are going to move forward in this conference... gotta break some eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Better line play is required if we are going to move forward in this conference... gotta break some eggs.
    To use boxing terms, this move is a KO 1 victory for the fans and a unanimous decision victory for Kyle. Even us armchair QBs could see something was horribly amiss on the O-line and demanded change. Kyle, who touted the O-line as a strength in the preseason, apparently thought likewise and broke the necessary eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    To use boxing terms, this move is a KO 1 victory for the fans and a unanimous decision victory for Kyle. Even us armchair QBs could see something was horribly amiss on the O-line and demanded change. Kyle, who touted the O-line as a strength in the preseason, apparently thought likewise and broke the necessary eggs.
    I wonder if Kyle broke the eggs, or Christensen broke the eggs. May mean that dc really is in charge of the offense

or

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I wonder if Kyle broke the eggs, or Christensen broke the eggs. Mane mean that dc really is in charge

or Christensen broke the eggs.
    I doubt it was something that Kyle hadn't thought of prior to today. Whatever Christensen had to say was probably just to validate Kyle's thinking on the matter.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Coachingsearch.com is reporting that Finn is out and former Wyoming assistant Jim Harding is a candidate for the spot:

https://twitter.com/intent/user?orig...73093188546560
    Looks like Harding has followed DC around a bit. Toledo, Mizzou and Wyo.
    http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl...ing_jim00.html
    Kind of scares me that Wyoming is Utah's hotbed for football lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Totally agree. I was calling for his head all year. Our o line play was pathetic the past two years.

I hope this means that DC really is running the offense and that he made the call with Kyle's approval. That's not really an implausible scenario.

I'm also hoping the next OL coach has some decent big-conference experience. Harding, the guy from Wyoming, was only a graduate assistant at Missouri with Christensen for three seasons prior to going to Wyoming.

Harding began his coaching career as an offensive graduate assistant at the University of Missouri where Christensen was then the offensive coordinator. Harding served in that role for the 2002, 2003 and 2004 seasons.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hope this means that DC really is running the offense and that he made the call with Kyle's approval. That's not really an implausible scenario.

I'm also hoping the next OL coach has some decent big-conference experience. Harding, the guy from Wyoming, was only a graduate assistant at Missouri with Christensen for three seasons prior to going to Wyoming.

You mean someone who doesn't have the small conference mind that 6'2" tackles are ok at this level?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    You mean someone who doesn't have the small conference mind that 6'2" tackles are ok at this level?
    Yep. None of our assistant coaches should be coaching at the major conference level for the first time.

--Yeats

Yep. None of our assistant coaches should be coaching at the major conference level for the first time.
    I don't get why Christensen wouldn't just take over the O-Line himself. I thought that was a major selling point with his hire?

KW gets a lot of crap for hiring from within his circle, but Baxter out of USC seems like a really good potential addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Looks like Harding has followed DC around a bit. Toledo, Mizzou and Wyo.
    Kind of scares me that Wyoming is Utah's hotbed for football lately.
    I would hope that if the Utes are going to start firing coaches that they would bring in somebody with a more impressive resume than the guy just fired and with recruiting ties in areas where the Utes typically recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I don't get why Christensen wouldn't just take over the O-Line himself. I thought that was a major selling point with his hire?

KW gets a lot of crap for hiring from within his circle, but Baxter out of USC seems like a really good potential addition.
    Does Baxter coach the O line? From my understanding, Baxter is one of the best special teams coordinators out there. We need help there but I want a great o line coach. Our o line was so pathetic the last two year and if we want to compete, we need some major improvements up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Does Baxter coach the O line? From my understanding, Baxter is one of the best special teams coordinators out there. We need help there but I want a great o line coach. Our o line was so pathetic the last two year and if we want to compete, we need some major improvements up front.
    We currently do not have a ST coach. I would assume Christensen would take over OL and Baxter would take over ST.

Dirk Facer:

Utah officially hires former Wyoming offensive line coach Jim Harding.
    https://twitter.com/DirkFacer/status/423139736467677186

So Kyle gives another young, inexperienced guy the best job that guy's ever had. Maybe Kyle can't afford more experienced people?

--Yeats

Dirk Facer:

https://twitter.com/DirkFacer/status/423139736467677186

So Kyle gives another young, inexperienced guy the best job that guy's ever had. Maybe Kyle can't afford more experienced people?
    Wait, I thought we wanted him to give personnel control to the OC? We don't know what we want. Well, we know we want to win.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Wait, I thought we wanted him to give personnel control to the OC? We don't know what we want. Well, we know we want to win.
    Fair point. I just hate to see guys come here for their first major-conference job. Oh well, at least DC has been an OC in a major conference program. And maybe that's just who Utah is right now.

--Yeats

Fair point. I just hate to see guys come here for their first major-conference job. Oh well, at least DC has been an OC in a major conference program. And maybe that's just who Utah is right now.
    So you'd rather have someone who was canned at a major conference job?

Just not sure that where you coach is as important as what and how you coach.

So you'd rather have someone who was canned at a major conference job?
    Yeah, that was exactly what I meant! msn_eyeroll.png

Just not sure that where you coach is as important as what and how you coach.
    IMO we've been burned already by KW's penchant for hiring not only friends and family but people who don't have the experience to do the job.

--Yeats

Yeah, that was exactly what I meant! msn_eyeroll.png

IMO we've been burned already by KW's penchant for hiring not only friends and family but people who don't have the experience to do the job.
    To some degree yes.

I don't think a 5 year coach at a D1 school should be compared to hires with no experience however.