Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After school detention (moderator actions).

The strange thing about all of this is that, though I don't post often anymore, I still browse Utefans daily and I can't recall having seen Chad post there much for quite some time. It seems odd that he would be so bothered by the beginning of this board when he hasn't been all that involved on that one lately.

Blender, are you a detective?

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

I am a psychic detective. If you don't like it stick a (s)fork in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    His laissez-faire approach to moderation there has it significant drawbacks, but he has always wanted to keep it a place open to everyone. If you've spent any time at other boards not related to Utah you'll realize actually how good thing are at uf.n. Moderators here are going to find that after the fun wears off that maintaining the high standard here is going to take some work.
    The moment the mods here adopt the UF.N "approach" you mention is the day this board goes down the tubes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The moment the mods here adopt the UF.N "approach" you mention is the day this board goes down the tubes as well.
    Agreed, but you must admit Pat, your often caustic and condescending approach on uf.n did its share to make the place unpleasant. Bless your heart.

I say this because (I think) we have some mutual respect for one another. I hope the more friendly and informative Pat chooses to participate over here.

Agreed, but you must admit Pat, your often caustic and condescending approach on uf.n did its share to make the place unpleasant. Bless your heart.

I say this because (I think) we have some mutual respect for one another. I hope the more friendly and informative Pat chooses to participate over here.
    I don't really think the lack of moderation was really the issue, it's more the lack of organization

If you aren't able to just have UFN up constantly there's a good chance you'll miss the sports content while wading through the other content. For some people that's what they want, for me, it's not.

I love that I can scan a topic here and keep following the sports posts while not wading through pages of inside jokes and gifs or videos.

I think some people are trying to make more of a new option than should be made.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    I agree with this. The reasons this place got started had absolutely nothing to do with Utefans.net. I know the Board of Trustees would appreciate it if people would not go out of their way to create hard feelings with other boards.
    You are absolutely right. Chris is a friend of mine and I'd be horrified if that happened. He's kept that board going for years and has provided tons of enjoyment to a great many people. I'm a Board member here and also a donor to UF.net -- and I plan to continue doing that.

This board was not conceived as the anti-UteFans board. We were just trying to fill an unmet need that no other board seemed to be addressing. I can't speak for the entire Board, but I've been surprised by the strength of the response. We were apparently right about the unmet need but underestimated the extent of that need.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I want to address a few things here. Chad was not placed in the cooler just because of the profanity in that post. It was done more because it was quite clear that his sole purpose in posting here was to be as disruptive as possible. If someone is invited to your house and the first thing they do is start throwing shit all over the walls, most reasonable folks would ask that person to leave(or physically remove them). That is the same reason that Moose will never be allowed a foothold on any board that I am part of the management. A very wise person on another site has said that I do not suffer fools lightly. And I don't, in my personal life, professional life, or any other aspects of my life.

How that translates to this board is that if you are being lewd, rude, profane, or disruptive with no other purpose than "just because I think I can, or it is my God-given right to do so", then you will be dealt with harshly.

If you drop an F-bomb in a game thread or in a heated discussion, not one moderator is going even blink an eye. If you drop one in 7 straight posts, we may send you a PM asking you to tone it down(we will not delete the posts at that point). If you ignore our requests, we will start altering your posts, and I if you continue on at that point, we will send you to the cooler.

As far as personal attacks, we expect people to argue, bicker, even belittle each other at times. If it gets too heated, we will ask each party(privately or in the thread) to take a quick break(voluntarily) from the exchange and try to gain a little perspective. We don't want to step in to every heated discussion or argument.

I hope that gives you all some perspective to what we are trying to accomplish here. I have zero interest in moderating this board to the extreme of CB, but we don't want it to be a free for all as well.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

So, apparently UFN Chad Sexington is saying he isn't the ub5 Chad Sexington. I for one believe him, it was out of his character to come here and do what he supposedly did. The plot thickens.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

That does not surprise me as it seemed out of character. The Wall used to do things like that on other boards, especially after Pacmas.

Well, if it was an impersonator we're going to have a few weeks of working through sick stunts like that. I think the board will self-police if the early adopters set the tone.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoUteTroutHead View Post
    So, apparently UFN Chad Sexington is saying he isn't the ub5 Chad Sexington. I for one believe him, it was out of his character to come here and do what he supposedly did. The plot thickens.
    Now, that would be a classic Moose move. I think I will do some investigation. I wonder if Webmonkey would be willing to compare ip addresses.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I kept thinking that the posts were very much unlike Chad's personality. I get the feeling that you got "moosed". I'd like to meet the guy sometime. Ktown apparently knows him and says in real life he's a pretty nice guy but when he gets on the boards he becomes this new persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvan View Post
    I kept thinking that the posts were very much unlike Chad's personality. I get the feeling that you got "moosed". I'd like to meet the guy sometime. Ktown apparently knows him and says in real life he's a pretty nice guy but when he gets on the boards he becomes this new persona.
    And people wonder why Moose is considered person non grata if you are managing a board.
    André Gide

Chris is a great guy who has operated uf.n at basically a break even point for over 12 years now. The challenge for him is he works full-time and manages a full personal life, and he would admit his board is on antiquated tech. The money and time invested to update the system there or migrate all of the old posts etc would be astounding. Trust me, I've talked to him many times about this.

I've also talked to him about creating what ub5 is setting out to do (which my understanding is a more moderated and civil discussion - which is a PC way of saying a more LDS friendly message board - or less Jessica Alba Thursdays.) Chris isn't LDS and never saw a need for it, he also knows the cost of trying to please all of the people all of the time.

Let me just reiterate he has been doing it for 12 years.

His laissez-faire approach to moderation there has it significant drawbacks, but he has always wanted to keep it a place open to everyone. If you've spent any time at other boards not related to Utah you'll realize actually how good thing are at uf.n. Moderators here are going to find that after the fun wears off that maintaining the high standard here is going to take some work.

My guess is that as time goes on and things gel, there will be another group who won't like the moderation and content policies here too, and the culture that will be created won't be right for everyone. It is inevitable and it is also okay.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I consider Chris a very good friend who has done an immense amount for access to Utah sports and discussions while only asking that people drop a few bucks when they can to keep the place going. No need to throw him under the bus now.
    The only thing that has driven me away from utefans and on over to here (granted I never really posted much on utefans or added anything in the first place) is the complete asshole comments you would get. Utefans is more like reddit, and it was far too easy for sfork and midnightversion or others that added little to a conversation to hijack posts with out the main topic ever getting answered.

I'd sign up for utezone if I could because that is the kind of discussion I'd rather participate in, real focus on a topic. Not H-man posting he bought new pants or midnights latest haiku. I'm glad a board has finally popped up that has garnered enough traffic to get focused topics going.

I like Chris, I consider him a friend and have known him and others from Utefans personally for 8-9 years. I don't plan on never going back to Utefans, it helped fill a void for a lot of us over the years to help us feel more connected to the University, but I'm very, very glad Utahby5 has had a successful launch so far. I really don't understand why this is an issue.

I enjoy posts by SforkUte, midnightversion, and especially H-man. To me, H-man is practically a God. I wish we'd keep the trash talking of Utefans.net and its supporters to a minimum. Jessica Alba Thursday, New Wave Wednesday, Rock N Roll Thursday, H-man meme...all great things I just don't see happening anywhere other than UF.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I wish we'd keep the trash talking of Utefans.net and its supporters to a minimum. Jessica Alba Thursday, New Wave Wednesday, Rock N Roll Thursday, H-man meme...all great things I just don't see happening anywhere other than UF.N.
    I agree with this.

But, I think some people are just expressing their personal frustrations with some aspect of ufn, just the same as some posters will express frustration with how we run things here.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Now, that would be a classic Moose move. I think I will do some investigation. I wonder if Webmonkey would be willing to compare ip addresses.
    If you can't get them from Chris, check with Crimmy over on Hoyo
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    If you can't get them from Chris, check with Crimmy over on Hoyo
    Good thought, thanks.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I enjoy posts by SforkUte, midnightversion, and especially H-man. To me, H-man is practically a God. I wish we'd keep the trash talking of Utefans.net and its supporters to a minimum. Jessica Alba Thursday, New Wave Wednesday, Rock N Roll Thursday, H-man meme...all great things I just don't see happening anywhere other than UF.N.
    I don't know if it wouldn't ever happen here.

I agree that there is a place for a bit of humor and acting like a 12 year old. That is why the vBulletin format is so much better. You could create a Man Cave forum devoted to guys being 12 year olds and people who don't want to see it won't see it scrolling by in their timeline. For us here, it would take some time to come up with a set of rules of what is and isn't appropriate for forum like that, and there are plenty of other fires to fight right now. So while it may happen, I couldn't give you a time frame.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 02-22-2013 at 08:44 AM.

There is no way that was the real Chad Sexington. Even without out him telling us on Utefans that it wasn't him I could tell it was not. He's a class act and wouldn't post that garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma Ute View Post
    There is no way that was the real Chad Sexington. Even without out him telling us on Utefans that it wasn't him I could tell it was not. He's a class act and wouldn't post that garbage.
    I don't know Chad or his online personna, so I am glad to here that.
    André Gide