Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Media (fka Mormonism)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    We are going to just have to agree to disagree.
    Both of you need to think outside the box. Just imagine the great discussion you could have in high priest group meeting about this.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46222189&ni...-church-policy

found this interesting

difficult challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46222189&ni...-church-policy

found this interesting

difficult challenge
    20 Holocaust victims in 5 years is a great record. I wonder what the delta on that number is? (How many total vicarious baptisms in those 5 years?)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

https://www.ksl.com/article/46501361...or-code-office

The police officer who violated individuals rights and anyone who signed off on this from BYU's Honor code side need to face church discipline. I'd much rather see excommunications for this type of behavior than I would people openly questioning/opposing doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    https://www.ksl.com/article/46501361...or-code-office

The police officer who violated individuals rights and anyone who signed off on this from BYU's Honor code side need to face church discipline. I'd much rather see excommunications for this type of behavior than I would people openly questioning/opposing doctrine.
    I agree. This need to try and ruin some kid’s college career seems like a really grotesque motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I agree. This need to try and ruin some kid’s college career seems like a really grotesque motivation.

The "honor code" office needs to consist of one person who reports any related issue to a students bishop and it ends there, instead of the gestapo-like techniques they currently employ.

It boils down to this and this is all that SHOULD matter to them: do they have an ecclesiastical endorsement or not?

There is no honor code office for church employees, members or anything else and according to our own doctrine it is the bishop who is called as a common judge and entitled to discernment on this matter.

I had a buddy who now has a very public and distinguished career that involves the church who had an "honor code violation" that had those goons trying to expel him. He made a youthful mistake (actually dragged an old vacuum behind his car at high speeds as a prank in a dorm parking lot when he was 18) but those people wanted to pull the rug out from underneath him completely. I doubt he'd be doing what he does today had that been allowed to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of this bad press leads to some sweeping changes there and a severe reduction in the role of the HC office.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The "honor code" office needs to consist of one person who reports any related issue to a students bishop and it ends there, instead of the gestapo-like techniques they currently employ.

It boils down to this and this is all that SHOULD matter to them: do they have an ecclesiastical endorsement or not?

There is no honor code office for church employees, members or anything else and according to our own doctrine it is the bishop who is called as a common judge and entitled to discernment on this matter.

I had a buddy who now has a very public and distinguished career that involves the church who had an "honor code violation" that had those goons trying to expel him. He made a youthful mistake (actually dragged an old vacuum behind his car at high speeds as a prank in a dorm parking lot when he was 18) but those people wanted to pull the rug out from underneath him completely. I doubt he'd be doing what he does today had that been allowed to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of this bad press leads to some sweeping changes there and a severe reduction in the role of the HC office.
    "We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion...."

Sorry, couldn't resist!

--Yeats

Don't know what to think about the wierd subculture the church has carved out at BYU. The gap between normal and BYU seems to be ever widening.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Don't know what to think about the wierd subculture the church has carved out at BYU. The gap between normal and BYU seems to be ever widening.
    We don’t do well when there are too many of us concentrated in one place.

--Yeats

Even though this subject title hurts my spirit, I guess this is the best place for this. The aftermath of President Nelson’s commitment to the official name of the church continues to reverberate. This morning they announced that LDS.org will officially be ChurchofJesusChrist.org. Not only is that super fun to type, but if you accidentally Google it or put it in proper grammatical context, then you discover that TheChurchofJesusChrist.org takes you to a completely separate location. And eventually, the Terrestrial kingdom.

Even though this subject title hurts my spirit, I guess this is the best place for this. The aftermath of President Nelson’s commitment to the official name of the church continues to reverberate. This morning they announced that LDS.org will officially be ChurchofJesusChrist.org. Not only is that super fun to type, but if you accidentally Google it or put it in proper grammatical context, then you discover that TheChurchofJesusChrist.org takes you to a completely separate location. And eventually, the Terrestrial kingdom.

Hmmm. Makes me think someone didn't do their homework. Rare for the Church in these situations.

--Yeats

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Media (fka Mormonism)

Even though this subject title hurts my spirit....
    I just changed it, with an explanatory note to help avoid confusion among the uninformed. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-05-2019 at 01:00 PM.

--Yeats