Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New uni's 2014

The official twitter for Utah Football is tweeting those are not the uniforms they will be wearing.

"These are not the droids you're looking for."
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    It feels like a good time to remind everyone that I've been harping on Utah's weak brand for a couple decades now. I've regularly been told it's something I shouldn't care about and that there is something wrong with me for having this interest in the first place. However, I always knew it would take something really shocking to wake people up to the state of the Ute brand.
    I have to express my deep dismay as well. Some of you might remember that I tried to do a GVK memorial T-shirt project which used the third verse of Utah Man on the back. I wound up with a lifetime supply of #95 T-shirts with no Utah Man on the back after marketing (not compliance or the AD) pulled the permission to use the lyrics at the last minute. Only to see the University alter the very thing that they restricted.

We have no control over our brand or traditions, and the University of Utah appears to be unable to change that. I think we need an independent organization for promoting the history, traditions, and brand of our University. I'd propose calling it the John Rocky Park society, and would love for a Dahlelama designed JRP shirt with the full real lyrics of Utah Man on the back to be free with an $18.50 membership fee. One thing I'd like to fund with these membership fees is to have a historic marker placed at the site of our original downtown locations.

[QUOTE=DanielLaRusso;37696][QUOTE=Applejack;37695]

Make no mistake though. If you asked most uni-people to rank the Jazz's uni's, it would go
    1. the New Orleans holdover look
    2. the Mountains
    3. the Current look
    4. the 2004 rebrand

with the first two considered iconic classics.
    This is interesting. Isn't the current look (#3) basically the same as the New Orleans Holdover (#1)? I recognize that there are some differences in the piping and the accents, but the basic color scheme/font/layout is nearly identical, no?

I agree that the 2004 rebrand (blue? wtf?) was a disaster. But the mountains are fugly, especially when you remember that black alternate with the flesh colored side panels:

[QUOTE=Applejack;37716][QUOTE=DanielLaRusso;37696]
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

This is interesting. Isn't the current look (#3) basically the same as the New Orleans Holdover (#1)? I recognize that there are some differences in the piping and the accents, but the basic color scheme/font/layout is nearly identical, no?

I agree that the 2004 rebrand (blue? wtf?) was a disaster. But the mountains are fugly, especially when you remember that black alternate with the flesh colored side panels:

They are not flesh colored side panels, they are Utah Copper colored. They are a source of local pride. Get with the program. BTW, my son has in his closet a blue mountains Carlos Arroyo jersey. Someday it will be worth a lot of money.
    Last edited by concerned; 07-17-2014 at 08:53 AM.

[QUOTE=concerned;37717][QUOTE=Applejack;37716]

They are not flesh colored side panels, they are Utah Copper colored. They are a source of local pride. Get with the program. BTW, my son has in his closet a blue mountains Carlos Arroyo jersey. Someday it will be worth a lot of money.
    I still regularly play ball with my black & flesh/copper shorts which I bought in Philadelphia for $3 (cashier: "Utah Jazz? I've never sold one of these before.") and my purple mountain B Russ jersey.

Perhaps my rapidly deteriorating skills while wearing the mountain uniform contributes to my distaste.

[QUOTE=Applejack;37716][QUOTE=DanielLaRusso;37696]
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

A couple of things have people holding back on thinking the current is a classic.
    a) time: the uni has only been around for a few (mostly bad) years
    b) awkward color scheme: replacing purple with blue and the other colors with darker versions of themselves has created a one-of-a-kind color scheme that some how manages to feel lifeless and bland.
    c) throwback: it's a throwback, not an original. The New Orleans look and the Mountain look, whatever your feelings, were unique and instantly recognizable because of that. It's rare that a copy will get as much love as the original.
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 07-17-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

the mountains are my favorite jazz jerseys. the copper was kinda ugly. I really dislike the new green ones

I'm sure by now many of you have seen this but I figured I might as well make sure it makes it to this thread.

Bs3VEURCYAApKeZ.jpg Image created by Dahlelama on twitter @dahlelama

I have to admit. I absolutely did not like the leaked uniform replica, but if this is anything close to what the actual uniforms will look like I don't think its all that bad and definitely not as bad as what we have worn in the past. Still yet to be seen what they will look like. Notedly that nothing was added to the pants. I hope they keep the pants simple at least. I still think the uniforms could be better.

Dahl's work only proves what I alluded to in my initial review. The concept isn't bad, but the execution is horrific/child-like.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Dahlelama does awesome stuff. On this schematic the mountain them looks great and i really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    Image created by Dahlelama on twitter
    I like that the black/white patches are gone. The only non-red is that mountain thing on the sleeve. This is a big improvement over the leaked uni.

Again, I demand all-red (white numbers), all-white (red numbers), all-black (white numbers), or red-white combos with no black.

White block U helmets..

I think they look good!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    White block U helmets..

I think they look good!
    I like it too, but it depends on what you mix it with. For an all-white, I think I prefer a red block U with red numbers and names.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I like it too, but it depends on what you mix it with. For an all-white, I think I prefer a red block U with red numbers and names.
    I wondered about that as well. It really doesn't work with red or black uniforms. That kind of hints at an all white setup.

I wondered about that as well. It really doesn't work with red or black uniforms. That kind of hints at an all white setup.
    I seem to be locked out of the other conversation, so I'll keep talking style. I'm so good at style.

If that were a helmet for an all-white, are the numbers and names also in silver? Why not go stormtrooper - make the block U, the names, and the numbers black? Plus, everyone has to wear a black visor.

Whatever is on the helmet is a decal. It can be changed fairly easily (which is what they do on the black helmets)

That's just the media days helmet, folks. All the other schools have a similar one.

BtPrVB_CYAESbUN.jpg
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 07-23-2014 at 02:06 PM.

those are badass!

Here's a fun one (as opposed to Adidas' latest crime). Air Force has introduced their new alt uni.

Here's a fun one (as opposed to Adidas' latest crime). Air Force has introduced their new alt uni.
    Those look good. Who does the academy play this year? Maybe I should go down there for one.

I'm such a sucker for Air Force. I've always loved their helmets. These are pretty sweet.

Dahlelama does such good work. Every year I download his wallpaper the look of that uni he put together is really sweet. I don't mind the mountains on the sleeves on that uni at all, in fact I think they look very cool because it is simple. No bibs or funkiness. I like it.

Ya see, Under Armour? When you guys go for understated, thoughtful design, you aren't half-bad...

So were the mountain sleeve jerseys for real or not?

Ya see, Under Armour? When you guys go for understated, thoughtful design, you aren't half-bad...
    At first glance, I thought those were Adidas stripes on the sleeves.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-30-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

What? No cartoon boats on the Navy Jersey sleeves?

You all know how much I love posting ugly shite

Oh, man. That's bad.

I saw the new Boise St orange helmet this morning. Looks great. Nike has done a nice job with Boise the past few years.

Even Heaps knew it was time to get out.

Per a release today the game previously scheduled to have jerseys for the Ute tribe will feature the tribe logo on the helmet....no mention of the jersey