Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    LaMelo? Named after Carmelo Anthony?
    Alford will find a way to screw it up even with all those players. His teams play no defense and always find a way to lose come tourney time.

Alford will find a way to screw it up even with all those players. His teams play no defense and always find a way to lose come tourney time.

UCLA under Alford is the BYU and Dave Rose of the PAC-12.

I dunno. UCLA looks ridiculously talented this year and they rebound the ball really well

Conference play opens tonight with a big one as UCLA visits Oregon, with the under card being USC at Oregon St. It's worth noting that UCLA will also host Oregon, so a road win this early in conference play would be big for the Bruins.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

K, so I'm going to shoot it from there, cool? KTHXBAI

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dylan Brooks! Down 8 with under 2 to go it didn't look good. In fact I said to my oldest "it doesn't look good for the Ducks right now, but win or lose this has been one of the best games I've been to in the last few years."

Then Payton Pritchard looked like the second coming of Ridnour and Brooks shook off the dust of an awful half and made the biggest shot in the short history of Matthew Knight.

UCLA is ridiculously talented, Alford is so good and is a great college bball villain. (I realize that for non-Duck fans Brooks is also a great villain.) Conference play is going to be a lot of fun this season.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Dylan Brooks! Down 8 with under 2 to go it didn't look good. In fact I said to my oldest "it doesn't look good for the Ducks right now, but win or lose this has been one of the best games I've been to in the last few years."

Then Payton Pritchard looked like the second coming of Ridnour and Brooks shook off the dust of an awful half and made the biggest shot in the short history of Matthew Knight.

UCLA is ridiculously talented, Alford is so good and is a great college bball villain. (I realize that for non-Duck fans Brooks is also a great villain.) Conference play is going to be a lot of fun this season.
    That was an amazing ending. He took that last shot with so much confidence. You could tell he fully expected it to go in.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    That was an amazing ending. He took that last shot with so much confidence. You could tell he fully expected it to go in.
    Both those teams are amazing and are going to boatrace us this year. I think there are four Sweet Sixteen teams in our conference, and sadly we aren't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    Both those teams are amazing and are going to boatrace us this year. I think there are four Sweet Sixteen teams in our conference, and sadly we aren't one of them.
    I can see zona, ucla, and Oregon, but usc is still a big question mark. They don't have any real quality wins yet.

Washington's Romar out for at least a month with a broken pinkie on his shooting hand. We're @ there in 11 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Washington's Romar out for at least a month with a broken pinkie on his shooting hand. We're @ there in 11 days.
    That would be their big man, Malik Dime. (Although it's entirely possible that Romar is also struggling with a sore pinkie that is preventing him from holding the clipboard and drawing up awesome plays correctly).

Yeah. I don't do smart well.

Dillon Brooks left the game last night with an apparent injury to the foot he had surgery on during the summer. Weird sequence, where he kind of ran into his own player, but very little contact, and he sort of limped off the court. Altman wouldn't comment on the injury, just said they would evaluate him this week.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Hope that Brooks is OK. Need our league's best teams to fair better in the tourney then they did last year.

That is to bad about Brooks. He is a great competitor and is a lot of fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That is to bad about Brooks. He is a great competitor and is a lot of fun to watch.
    He's amazing; the whole team is. Someone tweeted out pretty boy Benson's 3PFG% with and without Brooks on the floor, and it's a 10% difference.

I too hope Brooks is back soon, but I don't mind if he needs to take a week off. We really need to beat Oregon next Thursday, and I don't see any part of that match up that favors us. They have a shot blocker for our inside game, and they are long and quick for our outside game.

Arizona goes on the road to UCLA and takes out the Bruins. Yowsa.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Colorado now 0-7 in league play...likely facing Oregon St. this week in a "something's gotta give" game.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Anybody see the game? Bill Riley and Casey Jacobson were speculating yesterday that Arizona might have learned from Utah's effort that UCLA is pretty average defensively and has difficulty stopping players capable of slashing to the hoop. I wonder if that's what AZ did.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Trier's first game back. Az getting more talented and deeper, makes me more glad we only play them once this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Anybody see the game? Bill Riley and Casey Jacobson were speculating yesterday that Arizona might have learned from Utah's effort that UCLA is pretty average defensively and has difficulty stopping players capable of slashing to the hoop. I wonder if that's what AZ did.
    That was part of what AZ did--also their bigs outplayed UCLA bigs. Markkanen was better than Leaf & Welsh was a no-show.

AZ has more depth than UCLA, especially now that Trier is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    That was part of what AZ did--also their bigs outplayed UCLA bigs. Markkanen was better than Leaf & Welsh was a no-show.

AZ has more depth than UCLA, especially now that Trier is back.
    On the post-game, Seth Davis said that Arizona was the best defensive team that UCLA had seen this year by far. I wanted to yell at the TV "no it isn't, not by far for certain."

On the post-game, Seth Davis said that Arizona was the best defensive team that UCLA had seen this year by far. I wanted to yell at the TV "no it isn't, not by far for certain."
    Seth Davis is spread out way too thin. He watched the last 60 seconds of the Utah/UCLA game last week and then went on to tweet about it as if he had seen the whole thing. I know he's a Dukie, so I should like him, but he just never says much of anything insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Dillon Brooks left the game last night with an apparent injury to the foot he had surgery on during the summer. Weird sequence, where he kind of ran into his own player, but very little contact, and he sort of limped off the court. Altman wouldn't comment on the injury, just said they would evaluate him this week.
    Brooks injury is a sprain on the foot he had surgery on. Not sure if he will be playing next week (against us on Thursday).

Help might be on the way a lot quick than anticipated. The best news of the day for Boucher came via an early-morning phone call from Brooks telling him that his foot wasn't broken.
    And while Altman said he didn't know if Brooks would play next week on the road, the Ducks seem to be optimistic that it won't be an extended absence.

Nice background piece on Daniels.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4844304...tes?fullpage=1

We're going to enjoy watching this guy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4844304...tes?fullpage=1

Good read. I don't follow recruiting closely so I wasn't sure how he ended up here from Michigan. He's going to be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Good read. I don't follow recruiting closely so I wasn't sure how he ended up here from Michigan. He's going to be amazing.

It has been fun to see him go toe to toe with some of the freshman phenoms in the Pac 12 and hold his own.

Yep. He's the best prepared Freshman we've seen in a long time, maybe ever(?)

Devon isn't an elite athlete, but he's 6-5 with room to grow to 210-215 easily, has a BB IQ off the charts, shoots well, and has the "it" factor. That crazy runner he throws up off the wrong foot from about 8 feet out is close to being undefendable.

Why it took so long for his long game to become apparent is the biggest mystery of this season.

When he's on the court with Bonam, our guard line is pretty scary, especially since they're both coming into their own on the long ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Yep. He's the best prepared Freshman we've seen in a long time, maybe ever(?)

Devon isn't an elite athlete, but he's 6-5 with room to grow to 210-215 easily, has a BB IQ off the charts, shoots well, and has the "it" factor. That crazy runner he throws up off the wrong foot from about 8 feet out is close to being undefendable.

Why it took so long for his long game to become apparent is the biggest mystery of this season.

When he's on the court with Bonam, our guard line is pretty scary, especially since they're both coming into their own on the long ball.
    Devon isn't a naturally gifted shooter. His confidence has grown and he's definitely shooting it well now. But he wasn't a green light guy to start the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Devon isn't a naturally gifted shooter. His confidence has grown and he's definitely shooting it well now. But he wasn't a green light guy to start the season.

He still looks uncomfortable shooting. He'll only shoot 3's if he's wide open, and he has a slow set up and release. But dang if he isn't accurate in those situations. Bonam is about the same.

It is nice to have team that doesn't live and die by the 3 point shot . We shoot well from the 3, but aren't putting up as many 3 point attemps as we have in the past. Having multiple inside and slashing threats is good for the offense. I would imagine that opposing coaches will have trouble coming up with defensive strategies against this team. We have so many different ways to attack the defense, they can't key on one aspect to shut us down, like they have been able to in the past (Delon, Jakob, or 3 point shooting).