Thread: Jake Murphy bolts for NFL

Jake Murphy bolts for NFL

Utah Athletics Facebook page just announced Murphy is entering the draft.

Somewhat surprised by this given his own statements and his limited volume of work due to injury

wish he would stay, but can't blame him for jumping.

I say this with no ill will towards the kid. The sample size of his production on film is pretty small, and I haven't seen his name even mentioned among the top TEs. I fear this is more of a Steve Savoy situation. I hope I'm wrong and will be the first to admit it if I am.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Hopefully opens the door for Dalton Schultz to reconsider as he would likely be playing right away. Assuming new OC hire doesn't scare him away.

Quote Originally Posted by ute4eva View Post
    Hopefully opens the door for Dalton Schultz to reconsider as he would likely be playing right away. Assuming new OC hire doesn't scare him away.
    That Stanford diploma and the connections it brings are worth so much more long-term, if it were my kid, there'd be no question where he'd be going.

Quote Originally Posted by ute4eva View Post
    Reconsider? Has something recently changed on that front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is a good move for Murphy. Although he would definitely help the Utes, I don't think he has a great NFL future. At his size, 6'3" 250, he is both shorter and lighter than the typical NFL TE. He has better than average hands but only average speed. IMO, I don't think that his NFL draft position improves significantly even if he does come back and have a monster year. Given his injury history, it is probably more likely than not that he would continue to have injury problems. I wish him well and hope that he has great success.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Crimson View Post
    That Stanford diploma and the connections it brings are worth so much more long-term, if it were my kid, there'd be no question where he'd be going.
    I guess that's okay, if you feel good about your son becoming a pompous dirtbag who has everything handed to him. There are plenty of Utes who are just as successful and connected as any Stanford brat.

Assuming Schulz wants to play in the NFL someday, his #1 consideration should be football - where will he play, fit in, catch passes, get along with coaches, etc. After that, he can consider family, friends, culture, geography, etc. But there are plenty of good reasons to choose Utah over Stanford.

Sad news about Murphy. He was the best player on our team this year.

Depends on what your kid goes into. If he is just doing sociology, then Stanford's degree sucks as bad as anyone else's.

This is one of the most over-rated aspects of going to Stanford. But, it does sound really nice to say.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I guess that's okay, if you feel good about your son becoming a pompous dirtbag who has everything handed to him. There are plenty of Utes who are just as successful and connected as any Stanford brat.

Assuming Schulz wants to play in the NFL someday, his #1 consideration should be football - where will he play, fit in, catch passes, get along with coaches, etc. After that, he can consider family, friends, culture, geography, etc. But there are plenty of good reasons to choose Utah over Stanford.

Sad news about Murphy. He was the best player on our team this year.
    wow talk about a blanket judgement statement!!

this makes you look like the brat and pompous dirtbag!

I have no ill will toward Jake Murphy and wish him success at the next level.

That said, anybody who watched the UW game last night saw what a true NFL-caliber TE can do. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is significantly bigger (6'6, 275#), arguably faster and more agile, and has hands that are at least as good. His greater size makes him a tougher blocker (despite the missed block on the 4th and 2 on byu's 7 yard line) and more punishing in the Secondary. He is more prototypical of a TE.

I will always remember Murphy fondly as a Ute. He was a standout over the last couple of years and at times was our only viable target.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I have no ill will toward Jake Murphy and wish him success at the next level.

That said, anybody who watched the UW game last night saw what a true NFL-caliber TE can do. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is significantly bigger (6'6, 275#), arguably faster and more agile, and has hands that are at least as good. His greater size makes him a tougher blocker (despite the missed block on the 4th and 2 on byu's 7 yard line) and more punishing in the Secondary. He is more prototypical of a TE.

I will always remember Murphy fondly as a Ute. He was a standout over the last couple of years and at times was our only viable target.
    A true NFL tight end? There are very few, maybe 3 or 4 tight ends in the NFL that have Sefarian-Jenkins size. None of them that are his size have his athleticism. Jake will have a nice long NFL career.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    A true NFL tight end? There are very few, maybe 3 or 4 tight ends in the NFL that have Sefarian-Jenkins size. None of them that are his size have his athleticism. Jake will have a nice long NFL career.
    He could easily match the production of a guy like Chris Cooley if he stays healthy and gets a decent shot. Maybe in that Hernandez role in NE.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Agreed. There's a handful of schools in the world that will open an otherwise closed door for your entire career. Stanford is one of them.

The fact that Jake Murphy chose to be a Ute over other choices he had is enough for me to wish him well.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Depends on what your kid goes into. If he is just doing sociology, then Stanford's degree sucks as bad as anyone else's.
    This is demonstrably false.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Agreed. There's a handful of schools in the world that will open an otherwise closed door for your entire career. Stanford is one of them.
    I'm sure Stanford is a nice little place, but exactly what are the doors that are closed to state school grads? I can think of just two careers that require a degree from a snooty school -- president and supreme court justice.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    this makes you look like the brat and pompous dirtbag!
    Well, I am both, and I blame Stanford.

It depends. In the world of law practice hiring we pay little to no attention to undergrad schools. Law school does matter, but academic record while in law school means a lot too.

That aside, I'd love to have a degree from an elite school. Having one does create opportunities that can last a lifetime, but nobody gets anything lasting handed to them in this world just because they went to a particular school. That can get you in the door -- which can be very valuable and can make all the difference in your life -- but you have to perform. Offhand, I can think of 5-6 guys I know with elite educations who've been big disappointments professionally.

End of lecture!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It depends. In the world of law practice hiring we pay little to no attention to undergrad schools. Law school does matter, but academic record while in law school means a lot too.

That aside, I'd love to have a degree from an elite school. Having one does create opportunities that can last a lifetime, but nobody gets anything lasting handed to them in this world just because they went to a particular school. That can get you in the door -- which can be very valuable and can make all the difference in your life -- but you have to perform. Offhand, I can think of 5-6 guys I know with elite educations who've been big disappointments professionally.

End of lecture!
    Does this mean that you can tell from my writing that I graduated from BYU law school and that I was not on law review.

There are many Stanford grads that are a helluva lot more successful and connected than any Ute grads, and I knew more than a few pompous dirtbags at the U. I think only Stanford kids that are already fabulously wealthy get "everything handed to" them.

But there are plenty of good reasons to choose Utah over Stanford.
    I agree, but risking being turned into a pompous dirtbag is not a valid reason to choose Stanford over Utah IMHO. Stanford is a top ten school for mid-career median salary, Utah, sadly, is far below that. There are plenty of intangibles to consider, but my kid would need very good reasons to turn down a Stanford scholie (obviously it's his decision, but I'd be pushing hard for any elite school if it was an actual possibility).

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Having one does create opportunities that can last a lifetime, but nobody gets anything lasting handed to them in this world just because they went to a particular school.
    I was thinking as much of the networking and peers you can connect with as the doors that open to you because of your diploma. A fellow Ute who teaches at Harvard now told me that one of the best parts of going to grad school there was the people he met and still consults with.

Threadjack over- wish Murphy was staying, hope it works out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I know Jake's family a little bit (I went to grad school with his brother - that guy could CRUSH golf balls on the range and then had the naive audacity to wonder why hitting balls with a stick/club came easily to him). I have no doubt that Jake is getting good advice from his immediate & extended/in-law family members who have played in the league, as well as a litany of coaches & consultants. Apparently, he knows what he wants to do and it's time to make the jump. He'll be a fine pro. Good for him.

EDIT: also, any time you can go to Stanford, go to Stanford.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    EDIT: also, any time you can go to Stanford, go to Stanford.
    Stop it. Stanford is in a lovely place and has a god rep, but there are good reasons to pick other schools as well.
    Last edited by sancho; 01-06-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Stop it. Stanford is in a lovely place and has a god rep, but there are good reasons to pick other schools as well.
    True. As an engineer I'd choose MIT over Stanford. I could probably make their football team.

Sean Mannion returning for senior year. Pac-12 QBs will be very good next season.

Sean Mannion returning for senior year. Pac-12 QBs will be very good next season.
    (sigh) as soon as Mannion's gone, Utah will inevitably take its 2 year break playing the Beavs