Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Delon Wright Thread

ESPN released its first big board for the 2015 Draft. Delon is not in the top 30 currently, but one guy that is, is Ron Baker from Witchta St. That could be a matchup that really helps push Delon's stock up if he has a good game.

There will certainly be plenty of opportunities in P12 play as well as Arizona has a few guys on there and Cal's Bird is on the list too.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ESPN released its first big board for the 2015 Draft. Delon is not in the top 30 currently, but one guy that is, is Ron Baker from Witchta St. That could be a matchup that really helps push Delon's stock up if he has a good game.

There will certainly be plenty of opportunities in P12 play as well as Arizona has a few guys on there and Cal's Bird is on the list too.
    Ron Baker was the one thing I loved about the Shockers when they played in SLC a couple of years ago. Kid is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

Baker is a 2, but given the size of Utah's and WSU's backcourts, I expect Delon to draw Baker, with Taylor and Fred Vanvleet (WSU starting PG) drawing each other's assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Baker is a 2, but given the size of Utah's and WSU's backcourts, I expect Delon to draw Baker, with Taylor and Fred Vanvleet (WSU starting PG) drawing each other's assignment.
    I am not even sure if Taylor will start. Tucker or ogbe could make a case.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Is this just your hope? Taylor was clearly the best of those three last year. I hope that Ogbe makes a big leap this year, but I think Taylor is our guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Is this just your hope? Taylor was clearly the best of those three last year. I hope that Ogbe makes a big leap this year, but I think Taylor is our guy.
    Agreed, but I do think he'll see fewer minutes, mainly in games when opponents are exploiting the height disadvantage. Larry's options for dealing with those situations will be much less limited now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Agreed, but I do think he'll see fewer minutes, mainly in games when opponents are exploiting the height disadvantage. Larry's options for dealing with those situations will be much less limited now.
    I hope that's the case. I have undying love for Lil' BTay - he's our most tenacious defender and best shooter. But I really hope Ogbe can take the Sophmore leap.

I hope that's the case. I have undying love for Lil' BTay - he's our most tenacious defender and best shooter. But I really hope Ogbe can take the Sophmore leap.
    I agree completely with this and LA's post. I just dont know if Larry might prefer him as a spark guy off the bench. Either way, I love BT. His career has been not too shabby for a guy some clowns labeled as a "WCC guy" who would likely transfer after 1 year.

Neither of those guys have the handles or passing ability Taylor does.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Neither of those guys have the handles or passing ability Taylor does.
    Not to mention defense and shooting.

But they are young - Ogbe is the guy I'm really hoping makes a jump. I think we generally know who Tucker is.

Not to mention defense and shooting.

But they are young - Ogbe is the guy I'm really hoping makes a jump. I think we generally know who Tucker is.
    I agree. I think Ogbe could end up being a great catch-and-shoot player.

Although Taylor is thus far the best shooter, he has a difficult time getting shots off when defended by a decent defender. Given his height, Taylor is not particularly quick and nor does he possess top-flight ball-handling skills -- at least last season, anyway. I'm also hopeful he will also minimize his careless errors in the back-court.
    Last edited by justaute; 07-18-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Although Taylor is thus far the best shooter, he has a difficult time getting shots off when defended by a decent defender. Given his height, Taylor is not particularly quick and nor does he possess top-flight ball-handling skills -- at least last season, anyway. I'm also hopeful he will also minimize his careless errors in the back-court.
    It is impossible to play Taylor straight-up AND keep Delon from getting to the basket nearly at will. Taylor's defender will almost always have a secondary assignment that will force Delon to get past another man and not give him lanes to drive to the hoop. This scenario is not something that worries me -- Taylor will always get more open looks than most 5-11 guards simply because of his running mate in the backcourt.

Taylor's errors in the backcourt come when teams make a concerted effort to trap him when he has the ball. If you can press Utah and keep the ball out of Delon's hands, you have a huge advantage against Utah, because the two guys who will handle the ball most after Delon -- Taylor and Loveridge -- have either size limitations or are not particularly gifted passers. Watch the second half of the UCLA game we won at home for the best evidence of this. The Catch-22 for the opposition in trapping Taylor in the halfcourt is that if you don't force a turnover right away, you're basically giving away a deuce in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It is impossible to play Taylor straight-up AND keep Delon from getting to the basket nearly at will. Taylor's defender will almost always have a secondary assignment that will force Delon to get past another man and not give him lanes to drive to the hoop. This scenario is not something that worries me -- Taylor will always get more open looks than most 5-11 guards simply because of his running mate in the backcourt.

Taylor's errors in the backcourt come when teams make a concerted effort to trap him when he has the ball. If you can press Utah and keep the ball out of Delon's hands, you have a huge advantage against Utah, because the two guys who will handle the ball most after Delon -- Taylor and Loveridge -- have either size limitations or are not particularly gifted passers. Watch the second half of the UCLA game we won at home for the best evidence of this. The Catch-22 for the opposition in trapping Taylor in the halfcourt is that if you don't force a turnover right away, you're basically giving away a deuce in the book.
    There has been a number of reports that Delon has become a respectable shooter. Impossible to know right now if thats just fluff or not but if true, defending him will be even tougher and should get bt more open looks.

Bt still needs to figure out what a good shot is. A bt open three is about as good as anytging else we could hope for. He needs to take them. None of this faking and driving into a contested shot.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbe...0for%202014-15

Another day, another article praising Delon. His ceiling this year is the Wooden award, and while I dont expect it, its not out of the realm of possibility either. He is on enough radars.

". . .Although the court is where Wright shines, it’s the promise he made to his mother to get a degree that matters most to him right now. . ."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=31951598&nid...&s_cid=queue-4
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

From ESPN today:

Delon Wright's Breakout Role

Some pretty interesting stats here about Delon's worth to the Utes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    From ESPN today:

Delon Wright's Breakout Role

Some pretty interesting stats here about Delon's worth to the Utes.
    Hack!
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Hack!
    Guilty as charged, except I lacked intent.

--Yeats

From insider today

If there were an award given to the team that has provided the most entertainment value, I have to believe the Utah Utes would make that short list. Thus far this season, Larry Krystkowiak's men have already played San Diego State, Wichita State, Brigham Young and Kansas, and all of those games came down to the final minute. If you enjoy close games involving top-quality combatants, the 7-2 Utes are for you.

And while we're on the subject of awards, it occurs to me that Utah point guard Delon Wright has made one very compelling case for first-team All-America honors. Start with the fact that the 6-foot-5 senior is quite simply an outstanding scoring point guard. In the Utes' past three games -- against the Shockers, Cougars and Jayhawks -- Wright's been on the floor for 187 possessions, and in that time, he dished 14 assists while scoring 52 points on 19-of-26 shooting inside the arc. He draws more than five fouls per 40 minutes, and he's shooting 76 percent at the line. And this season, Wright has apparently achieved respectability from beyond the arc, averaging a couple of attempts per contest from out there, knocking them down at a 35 percent rate.
    Then, add in the fact that on defense, Wright is a tireless tormentor of opposing teams. His steal percentage last season ranked in the top 30 nationally, and in the aforementioned 187 possessions against top competition, he recorded four blocks (including one particularly spectacular rejection during the Utes' second-half run against KU). His point guard duties keep him off the offensive glass, but Wright is in effect his team's second option for a defensive rebound after 7-foot freshman Jakob Poeltl.
    I put it to you that this is one comprehensive body of work, and it's no mistake that in terms of minutes, Utah's rotation this season can be summarized as Wright and four other guys. (Though this may change when Jordan Loveridge returns from his hamstring injury.) There may be other point guards who can match Wright's impact on offense (Notre Dame's Jerian Grant, for example), and there may be other guards who can contribute as much defensively as the Utah senior (Ohio State's Shannon Scott comes to mind). But is there another guard nationally who makes a bigger difference for his team on both sides of the ball? If so, let me know.

A junior college transfer who arrived in Salt Lake City last season by way of City College of San Francisco, Wright is having a superb abbreviated Division I career -- and to its credit, the NBA has taken note. Indeed, the fact that Wright's being projected as a mid first-round pick -- even though he's a 22-year-old (23 in April) who's a bit on the spindly side -- is enough to redeem my faith in the evaluative prowess of the front-office types at the next level. NBA types, I salute you.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but Delon is likely to be in the conversation for first team All-American and might, MIGHT, be in the conversation for the Wooden Award. But he is a weird statistical sell - he doesn't score a ton of points or lead the top team in the nation; he's a do everything stat stuffer who dominates on both ends of the floor. That type of player doesn't usually win the Wooden Award.

I don't trust our marketing folks to figure any of this out until June. So, we need to start some homegrown momentum. Who wants to start this train?

I'm in. We need a catchy hashtag to put on Twitter. #Delon4Wooden or something much better.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I'm in. We need a catchy hashtag to put on Twitter. #Delon4Wooden or something much better.
    #Delon.The WrightChoiceFor ThisYear'sWoodenAward

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    #Delon.The WrightChoiceFor ThisYear'sWoodenAward
    #DWrightStuff4WoodenAward

#DelontheFelon (for when he steals the ball!).

I personally saw Delon in a Utes uniform for perhaps the last time against USC and UCLA two weeks ago. (Barring an amazingly awesome East Coast tournament slot). I was debating with my dad whether we retire his jersey. I know there is some sort of formal requirement to get a jersey retired at the U (first or second team All-American?); even Mike Doleac doesn't have a jersey in the rafters. I think Delon will be second team AA this year. I also think we retire his number.

Watching him in person takes me back to Andre's day. The two players are so different, but they both played on a different level than everyone else on the floor. Against UCLA, Delon jumped the passing lane for a steal so early that he had to wait for the Bruin to make the ill-fated pass. It seems like he has been in the opposing team's huddle during the break. Andre had this same superpower. I've been slightly critical of Delon for taking plays off at times, but he is so much better than the players on the floor (both teams) that I can understand why he does it. He is an elite college defender, the best perimeter defender ever at Utah.

Delon really has two elite talents: defense (particularly team defense) and finishing. He makes the most difficult finishes look routine. Andre had a knack for getting easy shots (put backs, pull ups, etc) but he wasn't as good of a finisher as Delon is. Delon's length and glide let him take small angles and turn them into layups. I've never seen a guy get to the rim from such difficult paths without just jumping over people. This is the thing I think I will miss most about watching him. Against USC he had a fast break where he kept the ball, picked up his dribble at the foul line and took two steps towards the corner of the court. He then turned and softly banked the ball in, running full speed away from the rim. It looked effortless (and probably was), but 99% of college players don't even take that shot.

Delon will be missed.

Three articles in the past 24 hours....

John Gasaway from ESPN lists Delon #2 on his "Top 25 players in College Hoops" list:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...ege-basketball

2. Delon Wright, Utah Utes

The fact that the hitherto obscure Wright -- playing for hitherto obscure Utah -- is now plainly getting the attention he deserves is enough to make me think the struggle for trusty basketball information really has been won. (Then I look at the RPI and get back to work.)
    I've already made the case that Wright is the nation's most versatile player, so I'll merely add here that he is also laudably aware of his limitations. Wright is in the midst of a 1-for-13 dry spell from beyond the arc, and for that reason he's now down to about one attempt per game from out there. Meanwhile, as a defender he's still making life miserable for opposing guards in the Pac-12 (recording eight steals over his past 103 defensive possessions), and at 6-foot-5 he's still posting point guard-rate stats eerily similar to those of the shorter, feistier likes of Fred VanVleetor T.J. McConnell.
    Utah has opened conference play with three blowouts in Salt Lake City against the soft midsection of the league (USC, UCLA and Colorado). Larry Krystkowiak has very clearly worked wonders in SLC, but the great looming mystery of this Pac-12 season is whether the Utes can really take this act on the road. And with Utah scheduled to take on Arizona this Saturday in Tucson, we're about to find out. Wright will have every opportunity to prove his new-found acclaim is entirely justified.

Sporting News uses advanced analytics to rank the best players in College Basketball... Delon is #1:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...frank-kaminsky

Sporting News also came out with their mid-season All-America Teams... Delon is on the 1st team:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...r-cauley-stein

He truly is a special, special player.

I personally saw Delon in a Utes uniform for perhaps the last time against USC and UCLA two weeks ago. (Barring an amazingly awesome East Coast tournament slot). I was debating with my dad whether we retire his jersey. I know there is some sort of formal requirement to get a jersey retired at the U (first or second team All-American?); even Mike Doleac doesn't have a jersey in the rafters. I think Delon will be second team AA this year. I also think we retire his number.

Watching him in person takes me back to Andre's day. The two players are so different, but they both played on a different level than everyone else on the floor. Against UCLA, Delon jumped the passing lane for a steal so early that he had to wait for the Bruin to make the ill-fated pass. It seems like he has been in the opposing team's huddle during the break. Andre had this same superpower. I've been slightly critical of Delon for taking plays off at times, but he is so much better than the players on the floor (both teams) that I can understand why he does it. He is an elite college defender, the best perimeter defender ever at Utah.

Delon really has two elite talents: defense (particularly team defense) and finishing. He makes the most difficult finishes look routine. Andre had a knack for getting easy shots (put backs, pull ups, etc) but he wasn't as good of a finisher as Delon is. Delon's length and glide let him take small angles and turn them into layups. I've never seen a guy get to the rim from such difficult paths without just jumping over people. This is the thing I think I will miss most about watching him. Against USC he had a fast break where he kept the ball, picked up his dribble at the foul line and took two steps towards the corner of the court. He then turned and softly banked the ball in, running full speed away from the rim. It looked effortless (and probably was), but 99% of college players don't even take that shot.

Delon will be missed.
    SoCalPat can probably correct me, but isn't there something about representing your country in some fashion to have your jersey retired? Maybe im crazy (probably the case).

But your comments are spot on. Delon is a once in a generation type player. I can't wait to follow his NBA career, but ill sure enjoy every second that he has left as a Utah Ute.

what blows my mind is, Delon signed with us fresh off of a season where we went 6-25 and trailed in our last game by some ludicrous score like 32-2 when he had interest from Gonzaga and the Washington schools.

SoCalPat can probably correct me, but isn't there something about representing your country in some fashion to have your jersey retired? Maybe im crazy (probably the case).

But your comments are spot on. Delon is a once in a generation type player. I can't wait to follow his NBA career, but ill sure enjoy every second that he has left as a Utah Ute.

what blows my mind is, Delon signed with us fresh off of a season where we went 6-25 and trailed in our last game by some ludicrous score like 32-2 when he had interest from Gonzaga and the Washington schools.
    I don't think there is a country requirement. Did Keith Van Horn play for the national team? I honestly don't recall.

Also, didn't Delon sign after Larry's second year (15-18)? I don't remember the timing.

I don't think there is a country requirement. Did Keith Van Horn play for the national team? I honestly don't recall.

Also, didn't Delon sign after Larry's second year (15-18)? I don't remember the timing.
    Delon signed in August of 2012, just before the second year.