Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 121

Thread: The Delon Wright Thread

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Seems that if a player is straddling the first and second rounds this provides incentive to stay and try to climb into round 1 for sure.

    If I were betting, I would bet he jumps. Somebody will give him assurance that he will be a first round pick (whether or not he will be) and his age dictates against a return.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Seems that if a player is straddling the first and second rounds this provides incentive to stay and try to climb into round 1 for sure.
    Agreed. An honest evaluation will likely place Delon as an early second rounder. Most would advise him to come back for a year in that scenario because (1) the 2015 draft looks much weaker than this one and (2) Delon can improve his stock (carrying a Pac-12 contender on his back/learning to shoot).

    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    If I were betting, I would bet he jumps. Somebody will give him assurance that he will be a first round pick (whether or not he will be) and his age dictates against a return.
    I agree. It often depends on personalities, and I think while Delon probably enjoys the U, he has had the NBA on his mind for over a decade.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Agreed. An honest evaluation will likely place Delon as an early second rounder. Most would advise him to come back for a year in that scenario because (1) the 2015 draft looks much weaker than this one and (2) Delon can improve his stock (carrying a Pac-12 contender on his back/learning to shoot).



    I agree. It often depends on personalities, and I think while Delon probably enjoys the U, he has had the NBA on his mind for over a decade.
    For the record, I only care about what's best for Delon.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    For the record, I only care about what's best for Delon.
    Duly noted.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I disagree. But I hope we get to test your theory.
    Me too. A part of me really wants Delon back next year...BUT, if he blows up, has a huge couple of tournaments and makes a big enough name for himself and goes first round, that would be a pretty sweet run for him and Utah.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    For the record, I only care about what's best for Delon.
    For the record, I want him to stay even if it would be better for him to go.

    I still think he will go 1st round if he goes.

  7. #37
    Remember Kodiak may have a better sense of his draft status than anyone close to Delon. I think a lot depends on how much Delon likes and trusts his coach.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Remember Kodiak may have a better sense of his draft status than anyone
    I don't know. I've watched 2-3 NBA regular season games over the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure about my first round grade.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't know. I've watched 2-3 NBA regular season games over the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure about my first round grade.
    I think the people telling Delon to leave will point to Michael Carter-Williams as a comp: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/michael-carter-williams

    MCW was much more highly regarded than Delon, but he has a similar build/game: long, deceptively quick, good handle, finishes well, can't shoot. People soured on MCW leading up to the draft because of his jumper and rumors about a bad work ethic, but he's been one of the top two rookies in the league this year.

  10. #40
    I think the smart money is on Delon testing the waters by declaring for the draft but not signing with an agent, thus leaving open the option of returning (and getting an even better idea for what the scouts want to see from him to improve his stock). From there it will simply depend on how he does at the workouts prior to the draft.

  11. #41
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,564
    Delon is All-PAC-12, First Team:

    2013-14 Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Honors

    He also made the All-Defensive Team.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 03-11-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Fixed URL

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  12. #42
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,227
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Delon is All-PAC-12, First Team:

    2013-14 Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Honors

    He also made the All-Defensive Team.
    While I'm glad for Delon, I have one gripe...

    <rant>

    10 guys on a first team? 5 guys on a second team? I hate all conference teams with 3-4 teams of players on them. Basketball teams have 5 guys on the court. Your best 5 are your first team starters, your next 5 are your second team.

    </rant>

  13. #43
    For the first time (that I've noticed), Delon is on Chad Ford's top 100 NBA prospects (2014)... checking in at 82.

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/...ear/2014/set/4

    "Wright is intriguing to NBA scouts because of his size. At 6-foot-5, he has great size for his position and is a true point guard. He really needs to continue to work on his jump shot to get a shot at the first round in 2015."





    Other Pac-12 players on the list:

    6. Aaron Gordon
    13. Zach LaVine
    24. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
    27. Kyle Anderson
    42. Jahii Carson
    44. C.J. Wilcox
    48. Spencer Dinwiddie
    51. Jordan Adams
    57. Nick Johnson
    66. Brandon Ashley
    67. Joseph Young
    70. Kaleb Tarczewski
    73. Jabari Bird
    85. Jordan Bachynski
    97. Dwight Powell


    Wow this conference is talented. For comparasion's sake, MWC has 2 players on the list (spots 95 and 96), and the WCC has 0.

  14. #44
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,564
    Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    For the first time (that I've noticed), Delon is on Chad Ford's top 100 NBA prospects (2014)... checking in at 82.

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/...ear/2014/set/4

    "Wright is intriguing to NBA scouts because of his size. At 6-foot-5, he has great size for his position and is a true point guard. He really needs to continue to work on his jump shot to get a shot at the first round in 2015."
    I was watching the guard play in the Final Four and thinking what a nightmare Delon will be to defend if he can develop a nice pull-up jump shot like those guards all seem to have.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was watching the guard play in the Final Four and thinking what a nightmare Delon will be to defend if he can develop a nice pull-up jump shot like those guards all seem to have.

    It's a catch-22 with Delon and a jumper. He's so good at finishing at the rim, you'd rather have him shoot from 3 feet than 15. It's a higher percentage shot and will draw more fouls than he would shooting Js. In fact, a mid-range game is probably the last thing Utah needs from Delon, although it's a shot he will probably see more of given how good he is at getting to and finishing at the rim. But would it be nice if he could shoot over 30 percent from 3? Absolutely. He shot 22 percent last year. FWIW, Andre Miller was a career 29% 3PT shooter.

    One more thing about Delon vis-a-vis Andre. Andre was never the marksman from the line that Delon is, both in accuracy and attempts.

    This is bordering on blasphemy in these parts, but from a purely numbers perspective, what Delon did last year surpassed anything Andre ever did at Utah. Plus, Delon is doing it against better competition. Which makes it paramount for us to make some noise nationally next year. Postseason success is really the only area in which Andre holds a massive edge over Delon. Give Delon an Elite 8 or better appearance, and you're easily talking about one of the 10 greatest players ever at Utah.

  16. #46
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,564
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's a catch-22 with Delon and a jumper. He's so good at finishing at the rim, you'd rather have him shoot from 3 feet than 15. It's a higher percentage shot and will draw more fouls than he would shooting Js. In fact, a mid-range game is probably the last thing Utah needs from Delon, although it's a shot he will probably see more of given how good he is at getting to and finishing at the rim. But would it be nice if he could shoot over 30 percent from 3? Absolutely. He shot 22 percent last year. FWIW, Andre Miller was a career 29% 3PT shooter.

    One more thing about Delon vis-a-vis Andre. Andre was never the marksman from the line that Delon is, both in accuracy and attempts.

    This is bordering on blasphemy in these parts, but from a purely numbers perspective, what Delon did last year surpassed anything Andre ever did at Utah. Plus, Delon is doing it against better competition. Which makes it paramount for us to make some noise nationally next year. Postseason success is really the only area in which Andre holds a massive edge over Delon. Give Delon an Elite 8 or better appearance, and you're easily talking about one of the 10 greatest players ever at Utah.
    Agreed. Regarding the pull-up jumper, I am thinking that if he has that weapon defenders will be much less able to simply collapse and try to keep him out of the paint. He can pull up and hit a 10-12 footer if they do. It just makes him an even bigger problem for the other team. Would you agree?

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's a catch-22 with Delon and a jumper. He's so good at finishing at the rim, you'd rather have him shoot from 3 feet than 15. It's a higher percentage shot and will draw more fouls than he would shooting Js. In fact, a mid-range game is probably the last thing Utah needs from Delon, although it's a shot he will probably see more of given how good he is at getting to and finishing at the rim. But would it be nice if he could shoot over 30 percent from 3? Absolutely. He shot 22 percent last year. FWIW, Andre Miller was a career 29% 3PT shooter.

    One more thing about Delon vis-a-vis Andre. Andre was never the marksman from the line that Delon is, both in accuracy and attempts.

    This is bordering on blasphemy in these parts, but from a purely numbers perspective, what Delon did last year surpassed anything Andre ever did at Utah. Plus, Delon is doing it against better competition. Which makes it paramount for us to make some noise nationally next year. Postseason success is really the only area in which Andre holds a massive edge over Delon. Give Delon an Elite 8 or better appearance, and you're easily talking about one of the 10 greatest players ever at Utah.
    On paper... the difference between Andre and Delon now was the court leadership and ability to finish a game. Having the ball in the hands of Andre at the peak of his game here was always a good thing, Delon tends to make some pretty big mental errors.

    So I'm okay with you saying what you do about Delon in respect to Andre, but the intangibles (which have also made him have a very nice NBA career) is what keeps Andre on top of the heap.

    I agree that a 3 threat from Delon would be the best solution, but if a mid-range jumper gets consistent quicker it isn't really a catch-22 situation because it will open the lanes. Near the end of the season teams were sagging to the basket when he had the ball to take away that shot and it turned out to be relatively effective. If he can hit that mid-range jumper (presuming it is easier for him) then the defense have to play him straight up again, and he'll exploit them each time.

    I actually tend to think being a solid 3pt shooter will be easiest for him. The art of the mid-range jumper has largely disappeared from the game because mid-range jumpers are simply hard. With a line in front of you and even some opportunity to set up can be an easier shot to develop.

  18. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Agreed. Regarding the pull-up jumper, I am thinking that if he has that weapon defenders will be much less able to simply collapse and try to keep him out of the paint. He can pull up and hit a 10-12 footer if they do. It just makes him an even bigger problem for the other team. Would you agree?
    What you say is true. And its effectiveness would be unquestioned if you didn't have the 3-point shot. But with the 3, and with how Delon is so good at finishing at the basket (he shot 63 percent from 2, which led the Pac-12), it makes little sense for him to develop a mid-range game unless you knew that was the only shot he could get AND he could never crack 22 percent from 3 (which is what he shot last year). And at 6-5, that 10-12 foot shot should be there every time anyway, but as we all know, not all defenders are created equally, and part of the reason he shot 63 percent from 2 is because guys really cannot defend him straight up. So why help the defense by asking Delon to take lower percentage shots?

    Also, it bears repeating: Delon is a master at getting to the line. He had nearly 200 FTAs last year, which from the best information available, might be a single-season record at Utah for a guard (The top 10 in the media guide only goes to Doleac and Nevill, who each had a 215 FTA season; Delon had 193). Shooting more mid-range jumpers takes away from that, and again, bails teams out defensively (fewer fouls, etc.).

    The 3-point shot, however, is an obvious difference maker. It's worth 33 percent more than any 2-point shot. We're all familiar with that. Delon and Utah would be best served if he could get his percentage above 30 percent. Now, a lot of those 3s will come late in the clock but it doesn't matter -- if he hits 1-2 of them, it does far more damage to what the defense has to do than if Delon drains 5-6 mid-range jumpers.

  19. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Also, it bears repeating: Delon is a master at getting to the line. He had nearly 200 FTAs last year, which from the best information available, might be a single-season record at Utah for a guard (The top 10 in the media guide only goes to Doleac and Nevill, who each had a 215 FTA season; Delon had 193). Shooting more mid-range jumpers takes away from that, and again, bails teams out defensively (fewer fouls, etc.).
    One of the most interesting things about Delon's mastery at getting to the line was it appeared to be a learned/developed skill. Through the first 14 games (Oregon State), Delon had shot 51 FTs, or 3.6 per game. The most he attempted in a game to that point was 7 against Idaho State. However, in the last 19 games, he shot 142 FTs, or 7.5 per game, with 6 games he shot double digit free throws. Of course, this increase coincided with games against better, longer, and more athletic teams, where you would think it would get tougher to get to the line. I think that says a lot about Delon, his ability to learn how to play at this level, and also to adapt as teams started figuring out how to play him. If he can add 15 pounds of muscle he'll be able to be even more effective at taking contact, finishing, and getting to the line.

  20. #50
    P.S. A 3-pointer is worth 50% more that a 2-pointer.

  21. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    P.S. A 3-pointer is worth 50% more that a 2-pointer.
    How do I respond to this? One point from 3 is 33 percent, so that's where I got my math from. I also can recognize that 1 point more than 2 is a 50 percent increase.

  22. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    One of the most interesting things about Delon's mastery at getting to the line was it appeared to be a learned/developed skill. Through the first 14 games (Oregon State), Delon had shot 51 FTs, or 3.6 per game. The most he attempted in a game to that point was 7 against Idaho State. However, in the last 19 games, he shot 142 FTs, or 7.5 per game, with 6 games he shot double digit free throws. Of course, this increase coincided with games against better, longer, and more athletic teams, where you would think it would get tougher to get to the line. I think that says a lot about Delon, his ability to learn how to play at this level, and also to adapt as teams started figuring out how to play him. If he can add 15 pounds of muscle he'll be able to be even more effective at taking contact, finishing, and getting to the line.
    It's a learned skill, but I also think you could attribute the following to Delon's increased FTAs:

    1. He had a rep and started getting calls from the officials

    2. Our games were more competitive, and we won several of them. The closer your MOV is when you win, I think it's safe to say you're probably going to have more FTAs because the opposition is in foul-at-all-costs mode.

  23. #53
    I've been saying this since the pre-season "schedule": Delon should spend all summer shooting 3s. A pull up game would be nice, but teams will still prefer his pull up game to a layup. In other words, a pull up jumper will not create more layups for Delon.

    If Delon could hit 3s, on the other hand, teams would be forced to guard him beyond the arc (something that doesn't happen now) which would allow him to blow-by people - something that rarely happened this year outside of fast breaks because teams sag on him so much.

    If Delon wants to get people talking about him as a high draft pick, he really needs to be consistent on hitting 3s off of pick and rolls. Right now, Utah can't run a pick and roll with him because teams can go under the screen with no consequences (Delon won't hit the 3 and he is not great and hitting the rolling big man on the pass). If he were a threat to shoot on those plays, our offense would have instant life.

  24. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    On paper... the difference between Andre and Delon now was the court leadership and ability to finish a game. Having the ball in the hands of Andre at the peak of his game here was always a good thing. . .
    Unless Royce F***ing Olney is on the floor.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  25. #55
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I've been saying this since the pre-season "schedule": Delon should spend all summer shooting 3s. A pull up game would be nice, but teams will still prefer his pull up game to a layup. In other words, a pull up jumper will not create more layups for Delon.

    If Delon could hit 3s, on the other hand, teams would be forced to guard him beyond the arc (something that doesn't happen now) which would allow him to blow-by people - something that rarely happened this year outside of fast breaks because teams sag on him so much.

    If Delon wants to get people talking about him as a high draft pick, he really needs to be consistent on hitting 3s off of pick and rolls. Right now, Utah can't run a pick and roll with him because teams can go under the screen with no consequences (Delon won't hit the 3 and he is not great and hitting the rolling big man on the pass). If he were a threat to shoot on those plays, our offense would have instant life.
    I endorse this post. But I still think a pull-up jumper would be a great weapon. It should be as easy for him to develop that shot (because of his great body control) as it would to be for him to become a good trey shooter.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  26. #56
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,227
    A pull up jumper (a la Boatright and Napier) is for smaller quicker guards who are unable to get above the rim amongst the trees. They pump fake the 3 and then drive the lane as far as they can before pulling up.

    Delon hitting a respectable % of 3's would have the same effect as when LeBron started hitting 3's: guys had to finally run him off the 3 point line, allowing him to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. Especially since he is big enough to handle the contact. That's the second part: Delon needs to put on another 20 pounds to withstand the contact.

    Those two things are 1 and 1a he needs to work on.

    Plus, the added strength will help him with those 3's late in the game.

  27. #57
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,564
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    A pull up jumper (a la Boatright and Napier) is for smaller quicker guards who are unable to get above the rim amongst the trees. They pump fake the 3 and then drive the lane as far as they can before pulling up.

    Delon hitting a respectable % of 3's would have the same effect as when LeBron started hitting 3's: guys had to finally run him off the 3 point line, allowing him to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. Especially since he is big enough to handle the contact. That's the second part: Delon needs to put on another 20 pounds to withstand the contact.

    Those two things are 1 and 1a he needs to work on.

    Plus, the added strength will help him with those 3's late in the game.
    OK, you've convinced me.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  28. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    OK, you've convinced me.
    That was too easy, man. This is the offseason! If we're going to make it through with any dialogue whatsoever, we need to be more disagreeable and entrenched in our own dogmatic opinions defending them loyaly in the face of all logic and irrefutable facts.

  29. #59
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,564
    Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    That was too easy, man. This is the offseason! If we're going to make it through with any dialogue whatsoever, we need to be more disagreeable and entrenched in our own dogmatic opinions defending them loyaly in the face of all logic and irrefutable facts.
    I don't agree with this. In fact, your view is evidence of your lack of intelligence and low moral character, and it makes me wonder whether you are a true Utah fan.

    (How am I doing?)

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  30. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't agree with this. In fact, your view is evidence of your lack of intelligence and low moral character, and it makes me wonder whether you are a true Utah fan.

    (How am I doing?)
    MUCH better...ya putz.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •