Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Delon Wright Thread

I know everybody says tonight's game ought to give Poeltl pause, but it ought to give Delon pause too. He is going to have trouble against NBA defenders. The play right before half where he was forced to back off and dribbled into a double team is a good example. He is not explosively quick, cant really elevate for a jump shot and his three point shooting tonight was atrocious. McConnell is much better in the paint than Delon, tonight at least.

Per Espn Insider article today:

If you could pick one point guard in college basketball to win you one game right now, who would it be?

Jeff Goodman: Jay, I actually thought about taking a freshman in Maryland's Melo Trimble. I love his game and his maturity, but he's still a frosh and I'd want a guy with more experience. I'm going with Utah senior Delon Wright -- he does a ton of everything. What separates him from so many of the other point guards is his high-level ability to defend. He's terrific on that end, can get to the basket and score, distributes, makes quality decisions and rebounds his position. His perimeter shot is average, but that area of his game has improved. He's 22 years old and has made Utah nationally relevant. In fact, the program completely changed when he arrived from the junior college ranks.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I know everybody says tonight's game ought to give Poeltl pause, but it ought to give Delon pause too. He is going to have trouble against NBA defenders. The play right before half where he was forced to back off and dribbled into a double team is a good example. He is not explosively quick, cant really elevate for a jump shot and his three point shooting tonight was atrocious. McConnell is much better in the paint than Delon, tonight at least.
    Delon will definitely struggle with the length and athleticism of the nba. But so does everyone. Even jimmer!

I think Wright will be a very different pro than college player. He is most likely going to be a backup of who comes in, steadies the ship, and plays hard nosed defense. He will have to gain strength and he really needs to get a jumper, but he's already an nba level defender and finisher. He won't be a superstar in the nba, but I think he'll have a nice career.

Terrific photo from last night's game. I love the way the drum and feather logo shows up from the bottom of the scoreboard:

DelonWright.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I reiterate these comments after the Arizona game. last night was worse. He has disappeared in our two most important conference road games.

Totally agree Concerned. It's real easy to assert yourself with six minutes left in a game down 15. I wonder if Larry deserves some of the blame - I don't know. It's a team strength to have a number of players who can score and we do; but great teams still need a player or two who can take over games when needed. Those players need to sense those situations and make things happen. I err to the side of letting the game come to you but there are situations where having someone who can initiate is essential to winning. I believe Delon is better at that than he realizes. ...but maybe he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Offense was not the main issue in this game. Effort on defense and rebounding was the main issue. If the defensive effort had been there, the offense would have been fine. Shoot, if the defensive effort had been there, we'd have won with the 60 points we scored. UCLA did nothing to impress other than play hard.
    I thought the biggest problem was our turnovers. Led them to a lot of easy offense. I couldn't agree more with your last sentence. They wanted it more and played harder. And for a utah team, that is suprising, and very very disappointing. Hopefully, this is just one game and we can right the course.

I reiterate these comments after the Arizona game. last night was worse. He has disappeared in our two most important conference road games.
    We don't really have anybody stepping up and making shots when we need them other than our 5'9" guard. Loveridge really should be that guy but he seems to disappear on the road in big games. I thought Delon was the greatest finisher in the history of Utah basketball. But the last 10 games he isn't finishing at all. As for Poetl, and I have some personal experience with this, he's hit a wall. It's his first season in D1 basketball that started way back at the beginning of October. It's physical and the practices are hard. Combine that with games, and first year guys tend to fade a bit down the stretch--especially those playing significant minutes. And we're soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    We don't really have anybody stepping up and making shots when we need them other than our 5'9" guard. Loveridge really should be that guy but he seems to disappear on the road in big games. I thought Delon was the greatest finisher in the history of Utah basketball. But the last 10 games he isn't finishing at all. As for Poetl, and I have some personal experience with this, he's hit a wall. It's his first season in D1 basketball that started way back at the beginning of October. It's physical and the practices are hard. Combine that with games, and first year guys tend to fade a bit down the stretch--especially those playing significant minutes. And we're soft.
    Agree 100%

This is a very interesting analysis of Delon's 2015 performance:

http://pachoops.com/2015/02/delon-wr...surprising-us/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

One of 14 finalists for the Oscar Robertson award. http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/n...car150226.html
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

With tomorrow being his last game at the Hunty: I have watched a lot of good/great players at Utah. From Vranes-Chambers toVan Horn-Bogut.

Can't say Delon is the best, But IMO he is the most entertaining/fun to watch player that has played on the Hill.

He just sees things 1 step ahead---

Hope he can go out on a high note.

Wins the Bob Cousy award as the best pg of the year!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    What a great story. What a great kid. The fact that he got the academics turned around speaks volumes about his character.

I saw a few minutes of the NBA combine, mostly during the scrimmage. I heard them talk a bit about Delon, but didn't see much of him. Anyone following more closely?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I saw a few minutes of the NBA combine, mostly during the scrimmage. I heard them talk a bit about Delon, but didn't see much of him. Anyone following more closely?
    He was one of the "top" players who were held out of the 5 on 5 stuff. They kept the lottery picks and likely first rounders limited to measurements and interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=35449868&nid=635&title=delon-wright-impresses-in-first-summer-league-game-with-raptors

Hopefully the following will help attract recruits with NBA aspirations to playbfor Krystkowiak.

Mermuys said Wright had an advantage with former NBA head coach Larry Krystkowiak as his head coach in Utah. Krystkowiak implemented several NBA sets into the offensive rotation.

"Because he had an NBA coach in college, he had a familiarity with NBA sets in a game, so it wasn't like it was brand new to him," Mermuys said. "We did run some things that he probably hasn't seen before, but he's got great size and he's got great length. That allows you to be able to see over defenses and get the ball in places it's got to go where smaller guys can't."
    Wright said having Krystkowiak set up NBA sets in college made it a much easier transition to an NBA style of play.
    "He definitely prepared us for this type of offense," Wright said. "We ran a lot of NBA sets, so it was an easy transition for me to come in and be ready to run this type of offense."
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Delon is really, really, good at pick and roll.

Seems like a fair analysis.

Delon got a DNP-CD in the raptors first game. Im not going to be one of these Jimmer zealots who wants to burn down the house of any coach who doesnt play my guy 40 a night, but it is puzzling that the Raptors reached a bit to draft Delon and then almost immediately signed Cory Joseph.

Long season, injuries, patience, etc. I get it, just find it a bit odd..

Delon goes for 18 pts, 5 rebs, and 7 assists in their season finale against Brooklyn. Not to mention this sweet dime.

He's looking much thicker now. Those NBA workouts are having an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Was he getting playing time because the Raptors had their seed sowed up, or do we expect him to get time during the playoffs?
    he's come on strong in the last month, but he's still 3rd string behind Lowry (All-Star) and Joseph. He'll get garbage time in the playoffs.

But he cracked 100 points for his rookie year; at the all-star break that looked impossible.

He says tomorrow in the tweet, but means Thursday.

I searched twitter and found out
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 12-20-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Delon is cleared to play for the first time all year. (shoulder surgery)

Once again, he's back on the court after recovering from shoulder issues.