Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beat the Huskies, 2014!

Beat the Huskies, 2014!

beat_the_huskies_t_shirt-r978e992a26194d3bbcfe163fa219e056_va6px_512.jpg

No time to come up with a clever thread title, assuming I am even capable of that. Here's what the very enjoyable PAC-12 Hoops blog has to say:

Something to Prove: This thing’s early so ultimately everyone has something to prove, right? I suppose USC, WSU, and OSU have proven themselves as bottom of the barrel but it is indeed still early – even for them (hey! I’m glass half full guy). Pin pointing one team, however, I’m going to go with the suddenly upstart Utah Utes. They gave the Ducks all they could handle – including the game winning basket – and against Oregon State they took care of business (a characteristic of a good team). They made us all Krystkowiakers (are we going to make that a thing?). But now they hit the road. And while the 2013-14 trip to Washington won’t soon frighten anyone, it’s certainly not about to make anyone comfortable. No road trip will. And when you’re Utah and haven’t played too much outside of the Huntsman Center, well then you’ve got a great opportunity to prove something to us.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

If we want to finish in the top 3rd of the conference we need a win tonight. btw BIlas says were are the #64 best team in the nation

64. Utah Utes (Previous ranking: Not rated)
    Utah is much improved behind the play of wings Jordan Loveridge and Delon Wright. The Utes were one key mistake away from an upset against Oregon and lead the nation in field goal percentage inside the arc.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I think BYU was a good primer for this game. Washington like BYU loves to get out and run, turn the game into kind of a messy pickup contest. Romar talks a lot about defense but his teams are generally fundamentally weak including on defense. His offenses are hard to watch unless you're against the Huskies. That being said, they could go out and beat us by 25 points because the Huskies are very athletic and have a lot of weapons including CJ Wilcox, who's a great kid and a really good shooter. (They led ASU in Tempe by up to 24.) We might also go out and lead wire to wire and win going away like last season. Or it could be a really close game like Vegas expects. It looks like their PG Nigel Williams-Goss may be a one and done (19th ranked HS recruit last season and having a great freshman year). The Huskies are like Brazil; they never live up to their ever enormous potential. But a win in the Alaska Airlines/Hec Ed arena would be a good one, as ever. I'll be there!
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I think BYU was a good primer for this game. Washington like BYU loves to get out and run, turn the game into kind of a messy pickup contest. Romar talks a lot about defense but his teams are generally fundamentally weak including on defense. His offenses are hard to watch unless you're against the Huskies. That being said, they could go out and beat us by 25 points because the Huskies are very athletic and have a lot of weapons including CJ Wilcox, who's a great kid and a really good shooter. (They led ASU in Tempe by up to 24.) We might also go out and lead wire to wire and win going away like last season. Or it could be a really close game like Vegas expects. It looks like their PG Nigel Williams-Goss may be a one and done (19th ranked HS recruit last season and having a great freshman year). The Huskies are like Brazil; they never live up to their ever enormous potential. But a win in the Alaska Airlines/Hec Ed arena would be a good one, as ever. I'll be there!

Yes but will Jeff Ament be there?

Utah +2.5 at Caesars and Moneyline is +135
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I believe this weekend will be a predictor for how we end up this season.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I believe this weekend will be a predictor for how we end up this season.
    If you mean indicator, I agree.

If we sweep, at worst we're in the NIT with at least one home game. High end is winning 10-11 league games and getting a 8-10 seed in the dance.

If we split, I still think we're good enough to get into the NIT, but we'll probably have to add a win in Vegas to the 8-9 we'll get in league play.

If we get swept, it's hard to imagine getting above 7 wins. Short of a miracle run to the Pac-12 title game, we're probably in the CBI.

Geez 7 minutes to score first points

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

We are ice cold

ThIs is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    ThIs is ridiculous

This might end in the 30s like a few of our games vs Air Force did.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Three times now we've blown the shot clock. Amazing. You'd think we've never seen a zone before.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

We haven't hit a trey yet, have we?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We haven't hit a trey yet, have we?
    0-9. We haven't hit anything outside of 5 feet

Jordan hits his first bucket with less than 5:00 in the first half.

--Yeats

Riley said on the pregame show that the team had an unusually long (2-hour) shoot-around this afternoon. I wonder if they have tired legs?

--Yeats

Our boxing out sucks. We really are lucky not to be looking at a blowout. Not a single trey or assist yet (unless I missed one).

--Yeats

As bad as we played, I feel fortunate that we are only down 5 at the half. Giving up the offensive rebounds is the most frustrating thing to me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Our boxing out sucks. We really are lucky not to be looking at a blowout. Not a single trey or assist yet (unless I missed one).
    The only box out we know is when the donuts are gone

I'm in Utah and have Directv. What channel is this on locally?
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    I'm in Utah and have Directv. What channel is this on locally?
    Not on direct tv... pac12 network

Not even in Utah. Lol guess I'll stream my dish to my phone.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

If you're last name is andrews why the hell would you name your kid Andrew?

Our plan was to make UW beat us with someone other than Wilcox. Not working so far.

--Yeats

I do like the way the boys are scrapping.

--Yeats

That was one of tThe Shawn Kemps kids right?

Yep. Looks a lot like his dad.

We need a hot hand from three point range.

Loveridge is consistent.

We never go into the post. I would like to see us back people in and take the shot or kick it back out.

Andrews has a hot hand.

Their defense is smothering us.