Thread: Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey

I just want to thank Dan Stevens for not renewing his contract...

[SPOILER]leading to the Matthew Crawley character being killed off. While he was one of the most likable characters, his name and mine are identical except for one letter and I have been like Michael Bolton on office space for the last couple years. Also, as I think we saw in the last few episodes, this may mean the return of bitchy Mary, who I like better than nice Mary.[/SPOILER]

I wonder if anyone on this side of the pond has shared the cautionary tale of Shelley Long with the young Englishman.

Thank you for this thread. I'm hooked but I'm just starting season 2 so don't give away too much. Question... [spoiler]The Duke that made out with Thomas. Who was that guy? Where was he from? I thought he was the heir but then Matthew showed up [/spoiler]

Ho-Lee crap this show sucks something fierce.

We like Downton Abbey. I have two women to one man in my household right now, and that may influence our viewing habits. But I'm admitting nothing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We like Downton Abbey. I have two women to one man in my household right now, and that may influence our viewing habits. But I'm admitting nothing.

I like it. The acting, for the most part, is superb. My wife likes it. And, Sybil is hot.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

We've only made it through the first two-hour episode and the second one. All others are DVR'd. I am looking forward to seeing them all.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We've only made it through the first two-hour episode and the second one. All others are DVR'd. I am looking forward to seeing them all.
    It really takes off when Thomas and Bates go into the opium making business to pay for Bate's tuberculosis treatments.