Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Runnin' Utes v. Trojans 2014

The USC version of the MUSS:

Kinda sad by comparison.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Will we keep our foot on their necks or will we ease up again and let them come back? My prediction: these guys have fire in their eyes tonight and won't let that happen.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm going to have to reconsider my classification of Dallin as a stiff.

--Yeats

That was a great travel/hang on the rim move

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Why do other teams get so many layups against us?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-14-2014 at 09:01 AM.

--Yeats

Really guys?

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Will we keep our foot on their necks or will we ease up again and let them come back? My prediction: these guys have fire in their eyes tonight and won't let that happen.
    Or. . .

Let's make this last few minutes count.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

The next 3:35 will show this team what they're made of. I hope it works out.

--Yeats

We're making this so much harder on ourselves than it needs to be.

Biggest trey of the season for Jordan.

--Yeats

Biggest trey of the season for Jordan.
    Yeah, that was sweeet.
    Alright! A road win! Hip Hip Hooray!
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Yeah, that was sweeet.
    Games not over

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Get the Gatorade bath ready for Krysko...!

Dallin, go sit in the corner.

Now it's over

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Yeah, that was sweeet.
    I like how Larry cleans up his own water-bottles. He's holding them as he shakes hands with Enfield. Is it that hard to find a recycle bin in the arena?
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

I like how Larry cleans up his own water-bottles. He's holding them as he shakes hands with Enfield. Is it that hard to find a recycle bin in the arena?
    Very green of him.

Well, that's one monkey now off their backs.

--Yeats

The USC version of the MUSS:

Kinda sad by comparison.
    That's how ours looked two years ago.

I don't know what it is, but if this team has a lead with 10 minutes left in the game, we have a tendency to pucker up. Part of it is an increased intensity put on by the other team when the realize they may actually lose to us - we don't match it - but that doesn't seem like the whole story. I don't know if it is a substitution thing (a key player comes out), or something K says in the huddle that sets an attitude, but we just turn around and play not to lose rather than play to win. I think if we can sort out what is happening there, it will go a long way to winning some games down the stretch.

On the positive side: the play of Dallin Bachynski. He has been consistent all conference season to the point that, last night, I realized I actually look forward to his appearance in the game now. I know the energy and tenacity we will get out of him, plus his offensive skill have dramatically improved this season. He had a nice variety last night. Whatever he and Burgess are doing, they need to keep it up!

What do you think of the Galen Center? We walked past it when we were down there for football, looked pretty nice from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I don't know what it is, but if this team has a lead with 10 minutes left in the game, we have a tendency to pucker up. Part of it is an increased intensity put on by the other team when the realize they may actually lose to us - we don't match it - but that doesn't seem like the whole story. I don't know if it is a substitution thing (a key player comes out), or something K says in the huddle that sets an attitude, but we just turn around and play not to lose rather than play to win. I think if we can sort out what is happening there, it will go a long way to winning some games down the stretch.

On the positive side: the play of Dallin Bachynski. He has been consistent all conference season to the point that, last night, I realized I actually look forward to his appearance in the game now. I know the energy and tenacity we will get out of him, plus his offensive skill have dramatically improved this season. He had a nice variety last night. Whatever he and Burgess are doing, they need to keep it up!
    Yeah, I'm not quite there with him yet, but I can see progress. He still has maddening stretches that I'd love to see cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What do you think of the Galen Center? We walked past it when we were down there for football, looked pretty nice from the outside.
    I think it's very nice. It may be the college hoops arena of the future, at least in metropolitan areas where there are many other leisure attractions. It is small -- holds a little over 10,000 people -- but is a pleasant place to watch a game. Every seat is a padded theater-style chair seat (without the high backs). The scoreboard is state of the art, and the sight lines are excellent from everywhere. Still. to me, something about it shouts "This is not a big-time arena where big-time basketball is regularly played," but that may just be me. If the place were full it could be a very intimidating arena for opposing teams, because the crowd is close to the floor and there's a lot of intimacy. A couple of friends were there last night but were seated across the arena gym from me, but once we emailed each other and knew where we all were, it was easy to find us and wave, etc.

Size-wise, the Huntsman is a little anachronistic. But if we can keep 12,000+ people coming there each night it'll be fine. With the drapes coming in, I guess they could drape off the upper bowl if it turns out to be necessary to keep a good home crowd atmosphere.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Yeah, I'm not quite there with him yet, but I can see progress. He still has maddening stretches that I'd love to see cleaned up.
    I'm not expecting him on the all conference team, but his progress has been unexpected and consistent.

I'm not expecting him on the all conference team, but his progress has been unexpected and consistent.
    I agree. I was really down on our big men before the start of the year. I've been proven right on Lenz, right on Olsen, and dead wrong on Batshitzki. He's been a pleasant surprise and (gulp) our best big man.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I agree. I was really down on our big men before the start of the year. I've been proven right on Lenz, right on Olsen, and dead wrong on Batshitzki. He's been a pleasant surprise and (gulp) our best big man.
    The moves are getting him the shots, but he isn't hitting them yet. If he starts to hit those consistently, JO may see his already decreasing minutes all but disappear.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/utah-r...-201402130609/

Dallin makes some bonehead plays at times, but we are much better team when he is on the floor. Olsen is a better scorer in the half court offense, but our team is better when we're scoring more in transition. Bach's lane presence on the defensive end leads to a lot more blocked shots/steals (many from backside help from Wright/wings), poor shots, and defensive boards (also by our wings/Wright) which really feed our transition offense. Bach also gets down the court better in transition. Even if Bach doesn't post big numbers, our team play when he is in the game is faster, more aggressive, and simply much better.

I think it's very nice. It may be the college hoops arena of the future, at least in metropolitan areas where there are many other leisure attractions. It is small -- holds a little over 10,000 people -- but is a pleasant place to watch a game. Every seat is a padded theater-style chair seat (without the high backs). The scoreboard is state of the art, and the sight lines are excellent from everywhere. Still. to me, something about it shouts "This is not a big-time arena where big-time basketball is regularly played," but that may just be me. If the place were full it could be a very intimidating arena for opposing teams, because the crowd is close to the floor and there's a lot of intimacy. A couple of friends were there last night but were seated across the arena gym from me, but once we emailed each other and knew where we all were, it was easy to find us and wave, etc.

Size-wise, the Huntsman is a little anachronistic. But if we can keep 12,000+ people coming there each night it'll be fine. With the drapes coming in, I guess they could drape off the upper bowl if it turns out to be necessary to keep a good home crowd atmosphere.
    This is exactly right. The facility is beautiful, extremely comfortable, and a great place to watch a game, but it just doesn't feel like it should be the home for a major basketball team. Maybe that's just because there were probably about 2500 people there last night.