Thread: Tips on building a house

Tips on building a house

We're close to the last home we will ever own. We sold our house late last year, bought 5 acres and are going to have a home built. I'm building the barn, and we'll have the horses right with us. My wife will be in heaven. I will have a lot of land to take care of.

We did the basic design ourselves, then iterated with an architect who had some very good suggestions and tweaks, including a few that would ensure the roof will work. We'll hopefully break ground in Feb. sometime, weather permitting.

We're trying to think of little things that will make a big difference. Things like:
    - Put a power and cat6 outlet in the floor underneath the desk in the den.
    - Run cat6 everywhere. Including to TV in great room. Pre-pull HDMI from TV to where components will be located
    - Centrally located hub for communication, internet, etc.
    - Think about outlet placement in bathrooms (wife is righthanded. Take that into account for curling iron and hair dryer usage)
    - USB ports in power outlets in strategic locations.
    - Timer switches for all fart fans.
    - A charging drawer in the kitchen. (Drawer with a power strip in the back. Phones, ipads go in for out-of-sight charging)
    - Plenty of outlets in the garage
    - Run sprinkler pipe and wires before driveway is poured.
    - Have plumber stub out connections for sprinklers.
    - Run a few extra circuits for outside (beyond what is planned), cover them and bury for later possible use.

Anything else you're glad you have, or wish you had done?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have so many questions around this, I don't know where to start.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I have so many questions around this, I don't know where to start.
    It's actually one of the best parts of his plan.

15 years ago, I gutted, seismically retrofitted, and wired our 1890's Queen Anne myself. Moved some walls, learned a hell of a lot in the 2 years it took. Passed every inspection the first time, briefly toyed with becoming an electrician. If I had to do it over, I'd run large conduit through every room practical, for any future wiring/comm/data needs. It's probably overkill and won't get used, but a future owner will thank you.

I'm assuming you will hire a general contractor, or are you acting as your own general and managing subs for each job? Your plan sounds good, but the best advice I have is to check every contractor's references and make sure to follow up with their most recent customers. I had a contractor who had good references and had been in business for 20+ years. Turned out he was financially cratering and my recent remodel was a life preserver for him. He was using my money to pay off his last job's subs (sadly this is really common), and started shorting his subs on our job. Luckily, we met the criteria for lien relief, and the state contractor fund paid off our subs and we have no liens and the job got finished. You can never be too careful, get everything in writing (YOU MUST HAVE A CONTRACT) and hammer out how overruns and job changes will be handled and lay out the schedule for payments as work progresses; examine materials costs closely. Do it in specific stages not something like half now, half later. Insist on lien releases from each sub as they get paid, if your contractor balks at this something is seriously wrong.

Sounds like a great project- try not to lose your mind.

We're close to the last home we will ever own. We sold our house late last year, bought 5 acres and are going to have a home built. I'm building the barn, and we'll have the horses right with us. My wife will be in heaven. I will have a lot of land to take care of.

We did the basic design ourselves, then iterated with an architect who had some very good suggestions and tweaks, including a few that would ensure the roof will work. We'll hopefully break ground in Feb. sometime, weather permitting.

We're trying to think of little things that will make a big difference. Things like:
    - Run cat6 everywhere. Including to TV in great room. Pre-pull HDMI from TV to where components will be located
    - Think about outlet placement in bathrooms (wife is righthanded. Take that into account for curling iron and hair dryer usage)
    - A charging drawer in the kitchen. (Drawer with a power strip in the back. Phones, ipads go in for out-of-sight charging)
    - Run a few extra circuits for outside (beyond what is planned), cover them and bury for later possible use.

We've actually been slowly switching out light switches for those motion detector ones... they've become quite good and you can sit seemingly still in a room and they'll stay on. At risk of sounding a lot like my father, my wife and kids have a hard time turning off lights, particularly in storage rooms or other places you don't commonly go or can't easily see if a light is on (pantry, garage, under stair storage etc - nothing warms my heart like finding a light on underneath the stairs that has probably been that way for two weeks). It has gone from those rooms to others and we've really liked them.

The best part also is just not having to hit a switch when your hands are full or whatever.

Dark wood tile (tile that looks and feels like Wood). You will thank me when the dishwasher explodes and your dont have to replace the hardwood in your kitchen. Oh and lots of outlets with usb ports along with plugs.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    We've actually been slowly switching out light switches for those motion detector ones... they've become quite good and you can sit seemingly still in a room and they'll stay on. At risk of sounding a lot like my father, my wife and kids have a hard time turning off lights, particularly in storage rooms or other places you don't commonly go or can't easily see if a light is on (pantry, garage, under stair storage etc - nothing warms my heart like finding a light on underneath the stairs that has probably been that way for two weeks). It has gone from those rooms to others and we've really liked them.

The best part also is just not having to hit a switch when your hands are full or whatever.
    I am going to have to do this in my basement. If the kids leave the damn lights on again I am going to have a coronary.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!
    we're using a contractor that has a really good reputation in the area. And he keeps very busy.
    I like the motion sensors.
    Kitchen will have tile, no wood.

Central vacuum system.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Hey did some checking as all the talk about USB ports everywhere got me wondering about next gen. If it's not too much $$$, I'd bag the cat5 and go with USB 3.0 cable, and if you really want to stay ahead of the tech curve, put some Thunderbolt optical cable in, at least anywhere that's likely to be home to your computer. If you're only using the usb ports as chargers, fine, but I'm picturing a data/entertainment/server hub hard-wired to rooms likely to contain networked devices. (But I'm a geek that prefers wired connections to wireless whenever I can implement it. That's the biggest reason I recommend large, empty conduit in convenient places that makes it easy to run wiring/cable through walls later; gives you a little breathing room future-proof-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Central vacuum system.
    Or at least a hole in your kitchen base boards to sweep into.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 01-14-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

That's even more cost efficient.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Sounds fun Brian. My wife would be jealous of the barn/horses. Our house is in a more residential, suburban area so this may not apply to you. I wish we had a better/more efficient egress for garbage/recycling and a place to put garbage cans that is out of sight and doesn't interfere in the garage. We had an AV guy do the wiring and it works great. The fartfan timers work great as well. I wanted to be able to get to the back burners on the range without hitting my head on the fan. I also wanted a shower to stand up in and not have to lean over to get my hair wet.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

when we moved, we discovered that my daughter was just sweeping everything under the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Sounds fun Brian. My wife would be jealous of the barn/horses. Our house is in a more residential, suburban area so this may not apply to you. I wish we had a better/more efficient egress for garbage/recycling and a place to put garbage cans that is out of sight and doesn't interfere in the garage. We had an AV guy do the wiring and it works great. The fartfan timers work great as well. I wanted to be able to get to the back burners on the range without hitting my head on the fan. I also wanted a shower to stand up in and not have to lean over to get my hair wet.
    Yes, the garbage can thing is a good point, and not one we have considered yet. They will not be in the garage, as that real estate is too precious. Already had to give up the 3 car garage due to cost tradeoffs.

I'm not nearly as tall as you, so no issue with the fan height (c:

Re: cat6 and 110 outlets under den desk: house the receptacles in a recessed waterproof cover. you will likely never close the cover but if you ever need to protect the receptacles for whatever reason, you will be happy that it is there.

If you have 4 acres and a long and/or steep driveway, you might consider a radiant heating pex array to melt snow and ice off the drive (if applicaple). It is a fairly pricey luxury, but since you are never moving, your older self will thank you for it.

Look into metal roofing. It is pricy but you will never have to re-shingle before you die. Probably.

I like Homer Crimsons idea about conduit. Your electrician will most likely just run romex stapled here and there to each location, but having beefy conduit makes life so much easier for when you need to install that new fixture down the road some time. Same goes for the cat6. But if you run cat6 close to the electrical, you might consider separate conduit or sheilded cable if there is potential for interference. Also if you have your electrician do the com cabling as well, make sure he knows not to wire up the cat6 in series like a phone cable, not that I would know anything about that .

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Re: cat6 and 110 outlets under den desk: house the receptacles in a recessed waterproof cover. you will likely never close the cover but if you ever need to protect the receptacles for whatever reason, you will be happy that it is there.

If you have 4 acres and a long and/or steep driveway, you might consider a radiant heating pex array to melt snow and ice off the drive (if applicaple). It is a fairly pricey luxury, but since you are never moving, your older self will thank you for it.

Look into metal roofing. It is pricy but you will never have to re-shingle before you die. Probably.

I like Homer Crimsons idea about conduit. Your electrician will most likely just run romex stapled here and there to each location, but having beefy conduit makes life so much easier for when you need to install that new fixture down the road some time. Same goes for the cat6. But if you run cat6 close to the electrical, you might consider separate conduit or sheilded cable if there is potential for interference. Also if you have your electrician do the com cabling as well, make sure he knows not to wire up the cat6 in series like a phone cable, not that I would know anything about that .
    I am beginning to reconsider my prior negative views about the usefulness of hanging out with engineers.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-16-2014 at 01:59 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Sure way to get laughed off a sports-centric message board, but the laundry room always gets short-changed.

A spacious, well-designed laundry room with cable is like a man cave except that your wife doesn't mind you spending time there (provided you can get at least one load done and iron a few shirts in the course of a football game), your kids and dogs don't want to be there toppling over or playing tug of war with whatever you just folded, the dryer is like a white noise machine canceling out whatever chaos they're causing elsewhere, you can use "laundry" as excuse for being in your boxers and a T-shirt at 3PM, and it smells like fresh linen instead of stale farts.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    ...it smells like fresh linen...
    This is why we've installed a washer and dryer in every room in our house.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am beginning to reconsider my prior negative views about the usefulness of hanging out with engineers.
    Still not very useful. I am lazy and will only boss you around about this stuff rather than lift a finger to accomplish it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    Sure way to get laughed off a sports-centric message board, but the laundry room always gets short-changed.

A spacious, well-designed laundry room with cable is like a man cave except that your wife doesn't mind you spending time there (provided you can get at least one load done and iron a few shirts in the course of a football game), your kids and dogs don't want to be there toppling over or playing tug of war with whatever you just folded, the dryer is like a white noise machine canceling out whatever chaos they're causing elsewhere, you can use "laundry" as excuse for being in your boxers and a T-shirt at 3PM, and it smells like fresh linen instead of stale farts.
    This is genius; absolute, unadulterated genius.