Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utes Went Down to Tucson, They Were Looking for a Game to Steal

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Whatever. We let them get too many offensive rebounds and easy putbacks.

I'd like to see a final score that reflects the true nature of the game. This is going to start looking like a sound beating.

And I wish the PBP guys would try not to act so delighted that AZ is pulling ahead.
    Unfortunately Arizona does that to everyone, they have athletes that are tough matchups and it creates a lot of offensive rebound opportunities. (And they've learned they're not likely to get called for fouls for being aggressive so they keep doing it)

I think Larry's class that can play next year will help that rebounding (at least that is my hope)

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Absolutely. We played gritty but I think we don't have the confidence any longer to keep in this game. We really needed that game on Thursday against asu.
    At least CU looks a bit more beatable

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Yeah - we still have some shots for good wins this year.

I think the Cuse would take this Arizona team pretty easily.

Loveridge has had a terrible second half.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Overall I'm still very happy with our progress.

Sent from my Moto X
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Let's not let them turn this into a rout.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The Utes Went Down to Tucson, They Were Looking for a Game to Steal

Definitely a much better team. We are in every game this year as opposed to a year ago.

PBP guys just said something complimentary about the Utes!!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Loveridge has a terrific mid-range game, but he insist on driving into the paint. He's not athletic enough nor is he big enough to do that. Why not play to your strength?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Loveridge has had a terrible second half.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Overall I'm still very happy with our progress.

Sent from my Moto X
    Outside of this team, each of our road losses should be home victories, and frankly we need them to be to continue to show our improvement.

Wow stay classy Zona.

Classy dunk by AZ there at the end.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Wow stay classy Zona.
    Yeah....we were still trying to score though. Doesn't bother me.

Sent from my Moto X
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

We covered +14... We c are beating these guys in slc

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Yeah....we were still trying to score though. Doesn't bother me.

Sent from my Moto X
    When you're losing of course you're still trying to score.

With 2 seconds left and the game not in doubt, you don't throw down a showboat dunk. (Utah had such a chance at the last home game and simply threw the ball in the air)

When you're losing of course you're still trying to score.

With 2 seconds left and the game not in doubt, you don't throw down a showboat dunk. (Utah had such a chance at the last home game and simply threw the ball in the air)
    Jim Boylen nearly decked Heath Schoyer over that!

And Tony Jones tweeted Krysko was visibly upset by it. There's an unwritten code in sports, it's just something you don't do.

And Tony Jones tweeted Krysko was visibly upset by it. There's an unwritten code in sports, it's just something you don't do.
    Fair enough.

Sent from my Moto X
    Carl Sagan

Per this UA board, Miller had an "exchange" with Krysko. Miller asked Krysko what he was doing (pressing) with clock running out.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread...131563&page=55

Oh, well. I like this team and I like the direction of this program. We just didn't have the horses to win this game. Kodiak's bringing in the kind of talent that will be more than just competitive and will win games like this one regularly.

And...I wouldn't be surprised to see the Utes beat this AZ team in the Huntsman.

--Yeats

The rule goes both ways. The shot clock was off, we were down 3 possessions with under 10 seconds left. If you don't want the other team to score, just let them inbound the ball and be done with it, which is what this "unwritten code" would dictate be done.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The rule goes both ways. The shot clock was off, we were down 3 possessions with under 10 seconds left. If you don't want the other team to score, just let them inbound the ball and be done with it, which is what this "unwritten code" would dictate be done.

If the shoe were on the other foot, I may be defending the "dunkus humiliatus." But I like to think I would be a little uncomfortable about the Utes doing the same thing. Once AZ got the ball the game was truly over and the only effect of scoring with a dunk in that situation is to humiliate the opponent. When Delon got possession of the ball on the final play against UCLA he could have made a baseball pass to Onwas (I think) for an easy basket but he simply threw the ball up in the air. When Weddle intercepted the final Navy pass in the Emerald Bowl he simply took a knee. I like that approach better, and I suspect Krysko does too. To each his own.

--Yeats

I had no problem with the dunk. The winning team keeps playing to score until the losing team stops pressuring. Losing by 11 is no different than losing by 9 and who knows, maybe it will stick in the craw of some of the players for the game up here.

The big stat in this game was giving up 20 offensive rebounds. Tough to win when the opposing team gets 13 more shots. Arizona is long, big and physical. By far the most complete team I have seen in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If the shoe were on the other foot, I may be defending the "dunkus humiliatus." But I like to think I would be a little uncomfortable about the Utes doing the same thing. Once AZ got the ball the game was truly over and the only effect of scoring with a dunk in that situation is to humiliate the opponent. When Delon got possession of the ball on the final play against UCLA he could have made a baseball pass to Onwas (I think) for an easy basket but he simply threw the ball up in the air. When Weddle intercepted the final Navy pass in the Emerald Bowl he simply took a knee. I like that approach better, and I suspect Krysko does too. To each his own.
    You can't have it both ways. You can't face-guard full-court press and not expect the other team to try and score. And anyone who would describe the final dunk as humiliating bruises easily.

Larry getting all bent over this makes him no different than Boylen for doing likewise against Wyoming and Heath Schroyer in his first year. Worry about your own damn team instead of playing Pac-12 coaching etiquette cop. This is the second game in a row Larry's found it necessary to give an opposing coach his .02 about the other side's "tactics." He's starting to sound bitchy.

Here's what I think happened. Rebounding hurt -- a lot -- but if we have taken better care of the ball than we usually do we might have won.

Here's my tortured analysis:

We got 9 offensive rebounds. That's a little above our average of 7.5 ORs per game, which ranks us 301st in D-1. Arizona got 20 offensive rebounds, almost twice its average of 11.5 per game, ranking them 29th in D-1. Tough to overcome a deficit like that against a great team. But Someone quoted Sean Miller as saying that Utah's 3-2 zone took away a lot of Arizona's game but left no one to block out and thus allowed AZ almost to double its average. That was probably a trade-off that Krysko made that didn't work out in the end. The strategy did keep us close all game long.

So how could we have made it work? Looking at TOs might give an answer.

Utah's assist to TO ratio was 9/14. Not sure we ever win with a ratio like that, especially against a great team. (I wonder how many of those led to Arizona points?)

Arizona's assist to TO ratio was 10/11. Not much better than ours, but theirs mostly came in the first half, IIRC.

Interestingly, we average 11.1 TOs per game, the same as Arizona, ranking us both 55th nationally. (I'm surprised AZ isn't better in that category.)

Assist to TO ratio: Arizona's is 1.396, ranking them 25th, and ours is 1.337, or 34th. Not that big a difference.

So maybe if we had taken care of the ball especially well, and "beaten" AZ in that category, we might have pulled off the upset.

I will now stop trying to be a statistician.

--Yeats

You can't have it both ways. You can't face-guard full-court press and not expect the other team to try and score. And anyone who would describe the final dunk as humiliating bruises easily.

Larry getting all bent over this makes him no different than Boylen for doing likewise against Wyoming and Heath Schroyer in his first year. Worry about your own damn team instead of playing Pac-12 coaching etiquette cop. This is the second game in a row Larry's found it necessary to give an opposing coach his .02 about the other side's "tactics." He's starting to sound bitchy.
    You remind me of the great thing about sports message boards:

We all get to have them!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-27-2014 at 10:08 AM.

--Yeats

He needs to learn the art of the backhanded compliment. "Well, it's much easier for him to make the shot when nobody is guarding him."

One thing we figured coming into the season is that we didn't have a great rebounder. Maybe we were wrong because Wright is a great rebounding PG, but stiil, we don't have a big guy who really boxes out and attacks the glass with energy. It's the biggest missing piece for this team.

Arizona has established a physical rebounding reputation. Once that rep is established you can get away with more contact on the boards.

Maybe because it is a Monday morning I need a moral victory to get me going, but if you were told before our season started that we'd go toe-to-toe against the #1 team in the nation on their floor in a game that wasn't decided until the last couple of minutes what would your reaction be?

Before the season began I'd say that the team would have exceeded my expectations for this year.

But here lies the problem for me now, if you can hang with the very best teams out there, it is time to start winning some of these other close games. I hope a lot of time is spent this week emphasizing with the team, "Look at what you just did out there against the best team in the country... is there anyone in this conference we can't beat?"

I'm convinced the losses we might have going forward will be due largely to mental hurdles versus the personnel on the floor. It is hard to lament our ability to match up, out-defend and out-rebound AZ when we are only in year three of rebuilding a train wreck of a program. There is a reason that good teams seem to always play teams experience their worst nights in whatever it is. We didn't get out-rebounded because we are bad, it is because Arizona is that good.

Do we want to fix it, hell yes, but the point today is that we can. Having a team that is competing at the top-levels in the PAC12 isn't out of the realm of possibility, in fact I'd say we have it already today.

So with that said, we really do need to buck up and soundly defeat CO, particularly because they are down Dinwiddie. This really needs to be our first PAC12 road win. Come back home and beat Wazzu and WA and we are back in a good position for favorable seeding in the PAC12 tournament and a real shot at a run there.