Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The annual Buffalo hunt: Utah vs. Colorado 2014

Of all people to make the critical TO -- Wright. I swear this team is jinxed. They make all these weird mistakes in the final minute.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

For shit's sake.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

OT!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Brandon Taylor has had a very nice game.

OK, Brandon gives us another chance to close out a close game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Some of Delon's complaints are legit, but you cannot whine after every non-call.

That in-bounds play is the latest example of the Utes just losing their brains in crunch time. I am not bashing them -- I really think it's become a psychological thing for them.

--Yeats

Another weird thing that seems so correctable -- guys like Booker get to the rim, or at least into the paint, almost at will.

--Yeats

Ballgame. Sigh.

--Yeats

So frustrating.

Maybe in practice scrimmages Larry should make the side that gives up an offensive rebound run until they vomit.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That in-bounds play is the latest example of the Utes just losing their brains in crunch time. I am not bashing them -- I really think it's become a psychological thing for them.
    I love this team and Kodiak, but maybe some bashing is getting warranted at this point. We are to the point where we can't keep pulling the 'youth and inexperience' card any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I love this team and Kodiak, but maybe some bashing is getting warranted at this point. We are to the point where we can't keep pulling the 'youth and inexperience' card any more.
    Agreed. Maybe they all need to see a shrink.

--Yeats

Or the weak teleconference schedule.

Report from Boulder:

My first game in the Coors event center. It's no Hunty, but I like the place. The fans are right on the floor (even though they stick the students on the baseline). The students are loud and have a good time. The band started with Sheryl Crow, bu they won me back with a Led Zeppelin medley and a tuba player dance. The crowd was pretty loud.

The Buffaloes showed amazing discipline and control to not foul anyone at all in the entire 2nd half and overtime. Remarkable.

But as bad as the officiating was, CU won that game with the two big jump shots in OT.

I think Wright went too far in his complaining to the officials.

We have known the problem with this team since summertime - rebounding. We really went after that Reynolds kid because we knew that was the weak spot. We are a tournament team in just about every aspect of the game except rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Report from Boulder:

The Buffaloes showed amazing discipline and control to not foul anyone at all in the entire 2nd half and overtime. Remarkable.

But as bad as the officiating was, CU won that game with the two big jump shots in OT.

I think Wright went too far in his complaining to the officials.
    I was unable to watch the game, but a 23 − 13 foul differential, 19 more free throw attempts and 13 point advantage from the free throw line seems unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I was unable to watch the game, but a 23 − 13 foul differential, 19 more free throw attempts and 13 point advantage from the free throw line seems unbelievable.
    It was silly. Even with OT, we didn't reach the bonus.

I hope the fans bring batteries to toss at Xavier Johnson when he comes to SLC. I know I'm not supposed to say he's a thug because he's black, so I'll just day he's a dirtbag.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It was silly. Even with OT, we didn't reach the bonus.

I hope the fans bring batteries to toss at Xavier Johnson when he comes to SLC. I know I'm not supposed to say he's a thug because he's black, so I'll just day he's a dirtbag.
    I don't think there's much question that he should have been tossed.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Of all people to make the critical TO -- Wright. I swear this team is jinxed. They make all these weird mistakes in the final minute.
    There's nothing weird or supernaturally wrong with this team. They're not jinxed. The Pac 12 is super competitive, with a lot of good basketball players and effective coaches. And college basketball overall is brutally competitive. Look at the top 10 today. The Utes are good but just not quite good enough to be in the top tier of this conference. They'd be winning the WCC, but they're not quite good enough to be 8-1 instead of 3-6 in the Pac 12. Yes, it's very frustrating, but we have to just press on. Maybe we'll finish 8-1. maybe we'll be 8-1 this point next season. We're not that far off, but we're not quite there yet. There are structural impediments. It's probably no coincidence that the football and basketball Utes have experienced similar seasons recently.

I'll give Kodiak this. It's impressive the team has not yet laid an egg (knock on wood). How many 3-6 teams can say that?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'll give Kodiak this. It's impressive the team has not yet laid an egg (knock on wood). How many 3-6 teams can say that?
    A fair point. To employ a little Majerus-type candor, we just need better players -- meaning the current crop has to get better and we need an infusion of talent. Kuzma, Chapman and the younger Wright may well fill the latter bill, and players like Loveridge, Bachynski, Ogbe, Fields and Olsen just have to mature and get better. Even Delon does. The good news is there is every reason to believe all of that will happen.

P.S. I know they are not jinxed. Fan frustration and hyperbole at work there.

--Yeats

We ran Boylen out of town (justifiably) two years after getting a 5 seed in the dance. I'm not saying we can't extend Larry after next year, but to do so without a noticeable uptick in W-L or road wins makes such a move unjustifiable. I don't expect us to win all of our games, but I'm not being demanding when I say there's no excuse to have zero road wins on Feb. 1 either

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We ran Boylen out of town (justifiably) two years after getting a 5 seed in the dance. I'm not saying we can't extend Larry after next year, but to do so without a noticeable uptick in W-L or road wins makes such a move unjustifiable. I don't expect us to win all of our games, but I'm not being demanding when I say there's no excuse to have zero road wins on Feb. 1 either
    The one road game where we should have won WSU, was the one game where I don't think the team played with a great sense of urgency. Yes, the game was close, but the team seemed to sleep walk most of the game and rarely pushed the ball with any aggressiveness. As for the other road losses, I thought the team battled and fought and simply did not have the ability to get over the top against evenly matched opponents. That is not an excuse for the poor plays in each of those games, but the reality of games on the road against equally matched teams.

C'mon. Are you suggesting that Coach K is on the hot seat because this team has lost close road games at Boise, Washington, Washington St, Arizona, ASU, and Colorado? The team is young, has no clue how to finish games, and doesn't have a legitimate Pac-12 player at either the 4 or 5 spot. I think you're letting your excitement over Delon "Manna" Wright cloud your judgment on how far this team has come in two years. This team is a single legitimate (not all conference, just serviceable) big man away from going dancing. And they are two players shy of actually making noise in the conference.

Maybe we will crash back to earth next year or have some terrible injury, God forbid, to Delon or JLove. But I still think Kodiak has done an A+ job to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    C'mon. Are you suggesting that Coach K is on the hot seat because this team has lost close road games at Boise, Washington, Washington St, Arizona, ASU, and Colorado? The team is young, has no clue how to finish games, and doesn't have a legitimate Pac-12 player at either the 4 or 5 spot. I think you're letting your excitement over Delon "Manna" Wright cloud your judgment on how far this team has come in two years. This team is a single legitimate (not all conference, just serviceable) big man away from going dancing. And they are two players shy of actually making noise in the conference.

Maybe we will crash back to earth next year or have some terrible injury, God forbid, to Delon or JLove. But I still think Kodiak has done an A+ job to this point.
    I think you are spot on.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

I think I made it clear his seat will become warm NEXT YEAR if we're still seeing repeats from this year.

I think I made it clear his seat will become warm NEXT YEAR if we're still seeing repeats from this year.
    You are nuts. Larrys getting extended short of a complete meltdown. Not extending a coach on the heels of a top 30 recruiting class, being the third coach in a decade to be lt go would SCREAM stay away to every coach in the world thats worth a darn.

you're not going to have two coaches on the hot seat same time. If nothing else, Larry will get a pass because Kyle seat is hotter than his
    Last edited by concerned; 02-02-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    You are nuts. Larrys getting extended short of a complete meltdown. Not extending a coach on the heels of a top 30 recruiting class, being the third coach in a decade to be lt go would SCREAM stay away to every coach in the world thats worth a darn.
    If we're winless on the road going into February next year, or continue to lose close games at our current pace, it will become apparent where the problem lies.

I don't expect that, but I've been expecting a lot of things this year that have yet to come to fruition. Like winning one game on the road, for example.

It's silly to be taking about Larry's seat getting hot at this point. During any kind of slump we could come up with hypothetical scenarios in which a coach's job could be in jeopardy.

--Yeats

Phil Cullen's e-mail this morning:

This upcoming game versus Colorado will be our last home game of the year. We will be honoring our two seniors, Renan Lenz and Xan Ricketts. Tip off will be at noon and the game will be on the Pac 12 Network.

Colorado stands at 9-6 in conference play and has an RPI ranking of #25. They are led by, Askia Booker 15.9 ppg, Josh Scott 15.8 ppg and Xavier Johnson 13.3 ppg in conference play. They are a personnel driven team meaning their actions put their players in positions to make plays. They like to increase the tempo and are very good on the offensive glass. Defensively they will play primarily man-to-man defense and will look to get physical with us on cuts. Click here to see Colorado's stats.

Currently we rank #54 in offensive production and rank #43 on defense. Coming into this year we wanted to have a balanced attack and it has been good to see the numbers reflect our commitment to both sides of the ball. We continue to rank as one of the best 2-point shooting percentage teams in the country at #9.

We will begin our game preparation today at practice. Today's practice is open to all season ticket holders and begins at 1:30 pm in the Huntsman Center. Parking is available on the top deck of the parking garage south of the Huntsman Center. We look forward to seeing you there!

As a Thank You for being loyal season ticket holders, we wanted to offer you $5 additional tickets for anybody you'd like to bring to the Colorado game this Saturday! We thank you for your support, as you have been great fans for us all season. Just go to utahtickets.com and enter Promo Code CRIMSON in the basketball tab.

The Men's Basketball Staff

--Yeats