Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The annual Buffalo hunt: Utah vs. Colorado 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Phil Cullen's e-mail this morning:
    I hope the MUSS gives a nice warm welcome to Xavier Johnson.

I took the last half of work off Friday so I can go.

I hate these noon games.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I took the last half of work off Friday so I can go.

I hate these noon games.
    It's at 11:00 a.m. here. Weird time to watch a basketball game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I will be at a conference for work, sitting in the back, trying to go unnoticed as I watch on my kindle.

Yes...and I probably should have mentioned taking the last half off work means I can go home at 0230 so I can get some sleep before the game haha

Senior Night! Let's take some time and write up our favorite memories of Xan and Renan (great comic-book-duo names, by the way).

I'll start: I'll never forget when Xan got in for some extended run against St. Katty's, drained two long 5 footers and hauled in 3 boards to shut the door on St. Katty's upset hopes.

Interesting that JL was pulled so quickly and then seems to have come back with a vengeance. Good.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Interesting that JL was pulled so quickly and then seems to have come back with a vengeance. Good.
    I think Larry is trying to give him earlier and more frequent breathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I think Larry is trying to give him earlier and more frequent breathers.
    It was probably more a matter of JL giving up 7 quick points, one on one, to a guy averaging less than 4 points a game.

--Yeats

Hate to say it but we've been here before with the Buffs. Time for the Utes to double down.

--Yeats

Bury them. Don't ease up.

--Yeats

Gordon sure gets leeway on lowering his shoulder when he drives.

--Yeats

What a great game! Had to watch on tape delay but this one was terrific to witness!

Huge run to start the second half was nice to see. This team can be explosive and they play solid defense n

Utah vs. CU Quotes

Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak

On what he felt was the turning point

We had an 8-point deficit and we were not playing defense like we knew we could. We got it even heading into halftime and then came out in the second half and shot the ball as well as we could. I don't like the turnovers – 15 seems to be our number

On the team’s defensive performance

We were getting side to side and out in the passing lanes. We wanted to get points from our defense and we were able to do that. They pounded us on the glass last game and to out rebound them is a testament to the team's hard work. We have to limit them to one shot and we didn't do that in Boulder. Out Achilles heel has been turning it over. We need to be more disciplined and shore some things up

On defending Askia Booker

A quarter of their output comes from Askia. Brandon did a great job on him and we wanted to limit their pick-n-roll. We know we can't be perfect but we wanted to limit that and contest him on every shot

On Jordan’s performance

He hasn't had many opportunities because of the height of teams in this league. We threw the ball inside and that opened things up. Jordan was able to hit some shots and Colorado didn't really double him like he's been facing with some other teams. He took the right shots at the right time. He made solid passes and other than the first four minutes, he played really well defensively

Utah sophomore Jordan Loveridge

On halftime adjustments

We knew we needed to pick up our defense to help our offense. We just wanted to get stops since we knew that would help us on the other end.

On his good shooting

I just need to have confidence with my shot. My teammates were getting me the ball in good spots and I just tried to maintain focus throughout the game.

On winning on Senior Day

We didn't want to let the fans down. They've been so great this year for us and we appreciate all the support

Utah junior Delon Wright

On halftime adjustments

I don't think I was aggressive enough in the first half. I just needed to do better in all facets

Colorado head coach Tad Boyle

On the game

The second half, we are a different team. For some reason, the last few games, three out of the last four games, in the second half we come out and we just can't stop anybody. Utah is a good team and they have good players. We did a pretty good enough job in the first half to shut them down, but it’s not like we locked them down. They still shot 47% in the first half. We had eight assists and five turnovers in the first half. We were making enough shots to keep the game close but we weren't guarding and rebounding like we are capable of. Jordan Loveridge was the difference I thought in the game. He was really good and we didn't have any answer for him.

--Yeats

Agree with Delon's comment. He was so passive in the first half, and then flipped a switch. Game was great to watch.

Another nit at the end of the half: we take a time out, Delon has the ball; dribbles above the top of the key, and then we end up with Ahmad Fields taking a mid range jumper at the buzzer? We drew up that play? Why was Fields even on the court? We should have had a half-time lead. At the time, we thought our late game plays were going to kill us again. Very glad it didnt, but that has got to improve (as everybody has been saying all season).
    Last edited by concerned; 03-02-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Agree with Delon's comment. He was so passive in the first half, and then flipped a switch. Game was great to watch.

Another nit at the end of the half: we take a time out, Delon has the ball; dribbles above the top of the key, and then we end up with Ahmad Fields taking a mid range jumper at the buzzer? We drew up that play? Why was Fields even on the court? We should have had a half-time lead. At the time, we thought our late game plays were going to kill us again. Very glad it didnt, but that has got to improve (as everybody has been saying all season).
    It's time to accept the reality that we either do not have a guy we can give the ball to in late clock situations and allow him to create his shot, or our coaching staff simply does not have any iso sets in their playbook.

People talk about Delon needing a jumper to make it in the NBA. That would help, but what allowed Andre Miller to stay in the NBA for as long as he did was that he had an outstanding low post game for a guard. If Delon could develop that, there's your guy in late clock situations. He can beat any guard one on one, and when the double team comes, he's a good enough passer to find the open guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's time to accept the reality that we either do not have a guy we can give the ball to in late clock situations and allow him to create his shot, or our coaching staff simply does not have any iso sets in their playbook.

People talk about Delon needing a jumper to make it in the NBA. That would help, but what allowed Andre Miller to stay in the NBA for as long as he did was that he had an outstanding low post game for a guard. If Delon could develop that, there's your guy in late clock situations. He can beat any guard one on one, and when the double team comes, he's a good enough passer to find the open guy.
    I don't think Delon will ever develop a post game, and I don't think he needs to. Andre always was a natural in the post and as years robbed him of his always limited athleticism, he was forced to rely on that part of his game even more. Delon and Andre are very different point guards in that sense: Andre's gift is an absolutely astounding ability to read defenses and make the right move - entry pass, shoot, drive, swing pass, alley-oop, etc; Delon's gift is an amazing ability to finish around the rim and great court vision (although not the overall grasp of movement and spacing that Andre had). For Delon to be an NBA player, he absolutely needs that outside shot so that his elite talent can be fully utilized. Andre, on the other hand, was able to be an elite traffic cop despite his lack of a jumpshot.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I thought the same thing. We are terrible with 15 seconds to go, whether in the half or the game.

--Yeats

You could tell from Delon's reaction that one of our players was in the wrong spot on that play, poor execution by one guy dooms the play.