Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: The Official Utah Utes postseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I watched the first half, which was more than I had planned on watching since an allergy attack usually lays me to waste and I'm in bed before 9. The first half was encouraging enough, so I went to bed at halftime fully expecting to win this game.

Wow.

I kinda feel like a schmuck for insisting we play looser on offense, take shots earlier in the clock and be more aggressive. We did those things last night and had double-digit turnovers in the first half (we also shot a high percentage). There's a line between playing loose and playing carelessly, and we did plenty of both in the first half.

We take care of the ball, we're up 15-plus at halftime. We're one 8-2 or better run early in the second half of putting this game away. Everyone had a hand in turnovers, but especially Wright and Taylor, who combined for 11? We had just six total against Cal. Taylor does a lot of good things, but from Stanford on, averaged over 4 turnovers per game. You're a PG, that's a stat you're going to lose minutes over.

Jordan Loveridge either cannot finish with, or does not trust his left hand at the rim. He probably never had to develop that skill in high school, but he needs to now. He does not have the spring in his legs nor the dominant size to get his shots off inside, but having a good left hand changes a lot of that. Against St. Mary's, he gets the ball at the top of the key, coming off a screen. He has his man clearly beat, but as Jordan gets to the basket, he drifts right so he doesn't have to use his left hand. But he doesn't move right far enough, and his shot hits the bottom of the rim. I don't know what's more embarrassing -- hitting the bottom of the rim on a layup, or not having a left hand to finish what was a deuce in the book as soon as you got the ball.

I can't really comment on how this game got away from us, since I didn't watch the second half. But I saw enough in the first half to know that SMC was a step below in talent and athleticism. To get outscored by 20 over the final 10 minutes has to take a team effort, but in our last three losses (over four games), we've lost a one-possession game, been blown out and blown a big lead late. That's troubling -- now we're all over the map when we lose, rather than just consistently failing in close games.
    At the end of the day, it comes down to talent. When we play tough defense and limit the offense, we play well. When we play out of control, we just aren't talented enough to do that. We still need talent. As crazy as it sounds to say this, our best position on this team is the Center position right now.

With all the transfers, I don't think we have Olsen, Bachinski or Kova leave. That is a good threesome going into next year.

It would not surprise me if Delon goes pro at all. I think he has hit his ceiling and his stock won't be higher than it is now. He isn't going to learn how to shoot. Strike while the iron is hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post

With all the transfers, I don't think we have Olsen, Bachinski or Kova leave. That is a good threesome going into next year.

It would not surprise me if Delon goes pro at all. I think he has hit his ceiling and his stock won't be higher than it is now. He isn't going to learn how to shoot. Strike while the iron is hot.
    I get what you're saying, but the problem is that the iron isn't that hot. Even if he's hit a ceiling (which I don't necessarily think he has -- but might be closer than I'd like to admit) I still think he could use another year just to build some pub. I don't think he'll be worse next year, and by season's end he was just getting on the radars that matter. I think another full season on those radars giving us about what he gave this year would still help his stock.

As for the centers, that's interesting. Not sure I agree, but I could be wrong. I've been assuming that Kova was top of the list of expendables. Truth is, I'm not sure who the expendables are now. Fields?

I think Fields is certainly a transfer possibility. After watching Tucker play, I can see why he lost his minutes. His D just isn't good -- what baffles me is that I think he has pretty good athleticism. At barely 6'1 and with 35" vertical, I didn't have the best athleticism, but I could D-up, box-out, and read passing lanes like nobody's business. It just bothers me when people have the "assets", but don't maximize them. Of course, mental acuity/fortitude is also an asset/talent.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I get what you're saying, but the problem is that the iron isn't that hot. Even if he's hit a ceiling (which I don't necessarily think he has -- but might be closer than I'd like to admit) I still think he could use another year just to build some pub. I don't think he'll be worse next year, and by season's end he was just getting on the radars that matter. I think another full season on those radars giving us about what he gave this year would still help his stock.

As for the centers, that's interesting. Not sure I agree, but I could be wrong. I've been assuming that Kova was top of the list of expendables. Truth is, I'm not sure who the expendables are now. Fields?

Utah professor Ken Pomeroy on the difficulty of evaluating teams based on little information:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/is-a-...ium=socialflow